LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 318 users in the forums

What were some of the offensive difference that you saw against the Bears?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've already re-watched the game - it appears there were some key differences that created a synergy in a sense that 1+1=3. I'm sure some of the 49ers dominance was due to being up for a Monday night game, and the Bears starting Campbell.

A. The defense didn't come out flat for the 1st couple of series.
B. The offense took the lead early, allowing the defense to be more aggressive.
C. With the lead, the whole team played looser and aggressive. The offense came alive (was having fun running and throwing)

This whole style of play invigorates a team and makes winning more fun, less tense and emotionally draining. You have to think the team is going to crave building off this.

BUT, unfortunately for a Alex Smith supporter like me, I have to admit Kaep was the difference. We all admit he is more athletic than Smith - more mobile, bigger arm, etc. But "sadly" his performance was complete - it was very good mentally, handled the entire playbook well.
1. He executed the game plan flawlessly - this was the biggest surprise to me. No one expects a 1st time starter to go against a "great D" and play that soundly. It did appear the Bears kept their defense pretty basic - their bad move.

2. He threw the ball accurately into places (not just deep) that ASmith just won't throw.
a. Kyle William deep ball - I don't think Smith would have thrown it because the receiver was covered up and hard to see behind the defender. Regardless, I suspect even if he did throw it, it would have been safely thrown too long.
b. Vernon Davis in the middle - Kaep threw a ball into VD in the middle between 3 defenders - is that smart? Not sure, but it was complete. Again, Smith would not have made that throw, "smartly".
c. Crabtree touchdown - When a play isn't there as designed, I would have to bet Smith throws the ball away or runs out of bounds. Not being critical of Smith, it's his "play it smart" move. But CK floats left and then makes a TD throw.
d. Manningham out pattern - floating left and throwing left - just don't think Smith can make that throw with enough velocity, so Smith has to make the safe decision to not throw the ball.

Can Kaep do it again? THAT is the big question. Again, unfortunately for a Smith supporter, his performance was so complete I believe you have to at least give him the chance to duplicate the performance against the Saints. And part of the reason is that team is now aware that there is a more dynamic winning option available -- that is more fun and gives people a chance to make big plays. If the coach goes back to Smith, there could be a mental revolt among players that they don't want to go back to the conservative style of play.
[ Edited by HearstFan on Nov 20, 2012 at 7:54 AM ]
CK7 stands taller in the pocket and has a shorter throwing motion. For me, the motion was deceptive; looking like he wouldn't be able to get the ball down the field as far as he needed to. Also, I think Kaep is willing to take more of a risk than Alex; throwing into tighter coverage (other than when he absolutly has to).
[ Edited by D_Niner on Nov 20, 2012 at 7:45 AM ]
To me its fairly simple. Kaeps natural feel for the pocket and ability to move within the pocket while still keeping his eyes down field creates opportunities that our offense is not used to. Unfortunately Alex never had that skill and was never able to appropriately develop in the crap situation he started here with.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Coaches and players say that the game plan and plays were the same....just that Kaep made the plays

Kaep is a lot taller then AS, maybe he just see the field better?

Kaep and Alex are the same height
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Throwing the ball past 10 yards and accurately. That was the difference. same play calls just better execution.
Originally posted by natrone06:
To me its fairly simple. Kaeps natural feel for the pocket and ability to move within the pocket while still keeping his eyes down field creates opportunities that our offense is not used to. Unfortunately Alex never had that skill and was never able to appropriately develop in the crap situation he started here with.

I agree with this. I think Alex would have either thrown the ball away or taken the sack, which is his way of protecting the football. On the flip side CK showed great awareness and kept drives alive. I'm an Alex supporter but I'll admit the team seemed different and more alive last night. That being said I don't think one game is enough for Alex to lose his job. I think coach JH has put Alex on notice to raise his level of play, or else......... He'll bring in the "hotter hand"
[ Edited by kemp_j on Nov 20, 2012 at 7:56 AM ]
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Coaches and players say that the game plan and plays were the same....just that Kaep made the plays

not really though. If you look at them standing next to each other Kaep is very minimally taller, but his shoulders are are taller than Alex's and his arms longer so he plays much taller than Alex.
i have to say i was kinda hesitent when Kaep was named starter. NOW I HAVE NO DOUBT IN THE MAN! not the kid.
A number of things that really added up. I've been an Alex supporter from day one - so this is without any hate involved.

First, the OLine's pass protection was excellent. Kap had time and he made the most of it.

Next, Kap's poise in the pocket and decision making created second and third opportunities. Watching him throw the ball away and not taking sacks made me feel great. Also having him not take off running and stepping up n the pocket was very encouraging.

Then, and this is Alex's biggest weakness, IMO, is ball placement. Our receivers didn't have to jump up for high balls and expose their bodies to big hits. Also, Kap was hitting our receivers in stride. The crossing rout to VD was excellent as was how he hit Crabs for the TD. That pass to KW was as good a pass as I've seen thrown by a Niner in a very long time.

The 20 yarder + passes also opened the game up. Their D had to play back once our receivers were catching passes further down the field. That opened up crossing routes and helped the running game.

I know it's only one game BUT what a one game.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

not really though. If you look at them standing next to each other Kaep is very minimally taller, but his shoulders are are taller than Alex's and his arms longer so he plays much taller than Alex.

Kaepexcuses lol...

Execution was the biggest difference...we always BALL on Monday nights; play up to the spot light (esp. Aldon Smith).

As to the game plan, Kaep's stat line was right in line with yards 243 for the game and we came out passing as always. Good yardage on first downs, TD's typically come from this down and 3rd downs with mixed passes/runs for TD's.

The one thing that stood out to me was the game plan (Kaep talked about this in the post game) to attack the cover 2 deep and the obvious play calling to get VD in single coverage and hit him early and often. The Bears had no answer for that one. It produced big yards, TD's and helped Kaep get into a really nice rhythm that he capitalized on and also complimented our running game.

Game plan was very similar in that the passing game was typically designed to get a primary receiver open and spread the ball around. Kaep rarely had to make more than one read but did well when he did have to ad lib. This was the best collective effort I've seen from the WR's getting off the LOS too, the OC game plan (attack deep on a team focused on stopping the run as evidenced by constant 8-10 in the box) and the pass protection was outstanding esp. compared to last week. I was very impressed by Kaep's ability to check to the correct pre snap read and the play designs were stellar to get the primary receiver open (and they were). Collective team win! Loved CK's poise and class and his future.

VD targets:
1st Half:
Single coverage: 2nd and 9 at SF 42 L.Davis reported in as eligible. C.Kaepernick pass deep left to V.Davis pushed ob at CHI 36 for 22 yards (M.Wright). Caught at SF 37. 1-yd YAC
Single coverage: 2nd and 9 at CHI 35. C.Kaepernick pass short right to V.Davis to CHI 23 for 12 yards (C.Tillman, L.Briggs). Caught at CHI 27. 4-yds YAC
Triple coverage was beat (overthrown into the EZ): 3rd and 1 at CHI 14. C. Kaepernick pass incomplete short right to V.Davis.
Single coverage: 1st and 3 at CHI 3. C.Kaepernick pass short right to V.Davis for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN
Single coverage: 2nd and 3 at SF 36. (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass deep left to V.Davis to CHI 32 for 32 yards (C.Conte). Caught at CHI 45. 13-yds YAC
Single coverage: 1st and 10 at SF 38. (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass short left to V.Davis to SF 41 for 3 yards (L.Briggs). Caught at SF 41. 0-yds YAC

2nd Half:
Single coverage was beat (overthrown): 2nd and 2 at SF 24. C.Kaepernick pass incomplete deep left to V.Davis.
Double coverage: 3rd and 12 at CHI 25. (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass short middle to V.Davis to CHI 14 for 11 yards (M.Wright). Caught at CHI 14. 0-yds YAC

And for the record, the most passes a receiver has caught in one game all year was 7. VD had 8 targets and 7 catches. Props to Roman for generating play calls to get our best receiver in single coverage all night long and to CK for hitting him early and often!
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM ]
Originally posted by HOF49er:
Kaepernick didn't run the ball much and pass the ball great which surprised the Bears def. If you look at the stats of the 9ers receiving crop it is about the same as usual though.

Spot on! We passed when the Bears planned to stop our run (even with CK). 1on1's all game long!
confidence
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Receivers being hit in stride

Yup , this was the difference , giving our playmakers chances to make YAC was what made our offense so deadly last night , this is what 49ers football is about , it was good to see it on a national stage
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Huge difference in my opinion! Kaep didn't hesitate, scrambled and bought time with his legs giving us the Crabtree touchdown! Love Alex but his hesitations and taking the sacks are killing me. Plus, missing the deep receivers consistently.

I give Alex this year to win the Superbowl or else...it's Kap Time!
Share 49ersWebzone