There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

This is not Jim's team yet.

It's great we have played to a championship level. Jim is working with previous players drafted by the other regime. Granted much of the talent we have is universal: Staley, Willis, J. Smith and Davis, but Jim is just getting started creating his version of the niners. I think it will be 2-3 years after 4-5 drafts for us to see Jim's vision. What made Walsh and Jimmy Johnson special was the ability to draft guys for their systems. I think Jim can do it as well. I bet in 3 years the transformation will be complete.
That does not make this team any less capable of winning a Super Bowl right now. The only thing stopping us is Alex Smith's play against top defenses. Until he gets over that hump, we're in a holding pattern.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
That does not make this team any less capable of winning a Super Bowl right now. The only thing stopping us is Alex Smith's play against top defenses. Until he gets over that hump, we're in a holding pattern.

Hence the sentence "It's great we have played to a championship level."
Walsh won a super bowl with a bunch of guys drafted by Monte Clark and then Joe Thomas. He added some key peices but the idea a coach has to have "his" players to win is overblown. Yes, they need to have players who commit to the system, but other than that not so much.

The idea that Smith is holding the team back this year is really nonsense. He has played two playoff games, excellent in one and OK in the other. Certainly was giving the team a chance to win the NYG game until the turn overs handed the game to NY.
Kaepernick, Hunter, James, Dixon*, Kyle Williams, Jenkins, Vernon, Walker, and another top receiver.

I think this team will still be a rushing attack, but one that can hit you from anywhere...that will keep teams on their heals.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kaep would only get maybe 2-3 designed running plays.....which give him opportunities to go out of bounds.

*Dixon if we still keep him or if he leaves on his own.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM ]
This is Andy Lee's team
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:

WHo resigned Alex to a three year deal? Jim Harbaugh and co. right? Seems somewhat contradictive to say just cause we drafted Kaep. that Alex is not a Jim Harbaugh guy, even though Jim Harbaugh is the sole reason Alex is back and is starting.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

WHo resigned Alex to a three year deal? Jim Harbaugh and co. right? Seems somewhat contradictive to say just cause we drafted Kaep. that Alex is not a Jim Harbaugh guy, even though Jim Harbaugh is the sole reason Alex is back and is starting.

Could be that Harbaugh realized Alex was the best QB available for now while Kaepernick studies the nuances of the playbook. Just a thought...
On another note, I don't know what a "Harbaugh Guy" is.

well it is basically three 1 year deals....again if they were fully commited to him these next few years they would've gave him that type of security.

but I agree though, Alex is a Harbaugh guy. I think Harbaugh loves how tough he his, and knows how important it is to have a durable consistent (Alex level) QB.
Im sorry but i dont care who drafted who. JH inherited a terribble team and turned it around. That Makes it HIS team. It takes alot more effort to work with and succeed with what you are handed then bringing in your own cadre.
Originally posted by kingairta:
Im sorry but i dont care who drafted who. JH inherited a terribble team and turned it around. That Makes it HIS team. It takes alot more effort to work with and succeed with what you are handed then bringing in your own cadre.

Jim inherited a terrible team? HA! He took over a very talented team.

and I'm one of Jim's biggest fans....but come man.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM ]
Originally posted by SaksV:

Could be that Harbaugh realized Alex was the best QB available for now while Kaepernick studies the nuances of the playbook. Just a thought...
On another note, I don't know what a "Harbaugh Guy" is.

Yep Jim does that is the point.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Walsh won a super bowl with a bunch of guys drafted by Monte Clark and then Joe Thomas. He added some key peices but the idea a coach has to have "his" players to win is overblown. Yes, they need to have players who commit to the system, but other than that not so much.

The idea that Smith is holding the team back this year is really nonsense. He has played two playoff games, excellent in one and OK in the other. Certainly was giving the team a chance to win the NYG game until the turn overs handed the game to NY.

Dude you have no idea what you are talking about. Walsh added the following players

Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, Carlton Williamson, Dwight Hicks, Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds, Fred Dean

Keena Turner, Dwayne Board, Ricky Patton, Eason Ramson, Charlie Young, Dan Audick, Allan Kennedy, John Harty, Rick Gervais, Saladin Martin

Joe and Dwight.

So let's see that what the entire secondary. 3/4 of the linebackers most of the DLine the qurterback, the running back, the TEs and half of the receivers. And the best QB ever. Oh Granted Fahnhorst, Solomon, and Cross where on the team before Walsh. So 3/22 starters for the 1981 SB where there before Walsh built the team.

Wanna rethink your statement.
[ Edited by LBSI9ers on Nov 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM ]
Creating threads to create threads
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Creating threads to create threads

Not sure what this means but ok.