LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 325 users in the forums

Putting the fake punts into perspective

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just thought of this little gem that cost us a world championship....who was our special teams coach back then that had 10 guys on the field??

This doesn't happen, and the Leonard Marshall hit doesn't happen....Craig never fumbles.

Don't want to put people in pain, but this was always be the hallmark fake punt in our history. Yesterday's gaffe sucked, but the stakes weren't high to make it brutal.

2 fake punt kill us more than the defense. Even though giving up 14 pts early was pretty bad. We stopped them deep on the their side of the field and getting the ball back or so we thought. Special teams -- a big F
It's call coaching fail.
Yesterdays fake punts IMHO are a result of playing against a 3 win, going nowhere , tired of getting their asses kicked by us underdog squad!!! Especially the 2nd one. Logic dictates that @ the 5 minute mark in the 4th quarter you punt, play defense & get the ball back with a chance to win. Their move while gutsy & to be commended is an easy decision when you are not an ELITE team!!! My issue is not with our staff being caught asleep @ the switch. My issue is that we should be taking more risks!!! We dont have an ELITE QB!!! We are starting to be a play it safe/expect to win team!!! Even on the plays leading up to the Akers OT missed field goal we got way to conservative...
[ Edited by NYCNINER on Nov 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM ]
1st one is an understandable mistake. Who the f*** goes for it in that situation? That's just a ballsy call right there I can live with being unprepared on that one.
Originally posted by MrTruth:
It's call coaching fail.

I wanna say its more credit to Fish than taking anything away from Harbuagh. That was pure balls, especially in their own endzone. They were HUGE underdogs and felt like they had to put everything on the table to be relevant in the game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
there is no reason for that to happen,, once but twice. in excusable. s**t like that is not something you see from an elite team. our special teams are special ed
Originally posted by MrTruth:
It's call coaching fail.

Yep.. correct..
If that punter messes up the throw from the 3rd yard line, the game is over and Fisher probably gets heckled and /or fired for such a reckless call.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
If that punter messes up the throw from the 3rd yard line, the game is over and Fisher probably gets heckled and /or fired for such a reckless call.

That was some risky s**t right there.

Teams will be looking to pull off tricky ish against our ST for the rest of the season.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Just thought of this little gem that cost us a world championship....who was our special teams coach back then that had 10 guys on the field??

This doesn't happen, and the Leonard Marshall hit doesn't happen....Craig never fumbles.

Don't want to put people in pain, but this was always be the hallmark fake punt in our history. Yesterday's gaffe sucked, but the stakes weren't high to make it brutal.

Huh? what are you saying?
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:

Was trying to put these fake punts into perspective.....a fake punt was the only hope for the Rams to be in the game, and it was also the only way the Giants could have pulled that upset nearly 22 years ago.

Both coaching staffs f'd up.

Hopefully we do not allow this to happen again, esp. in playoffs.

Was trying to put these fake punts into perspective.....a fake punt was the only hope for the Rams to be in the game, and it was also the only way the Giants could have pulled that upset nearly 22 years ago.

ok cool. just wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing it up.

I will always remember that play. I effing HATE that play.
Share 49ersWebzone