There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How can the 49ers make sure that our first 2 picks are used next year?

I believe this falls into the category of... good problems.
Originally posted by cciowa:
not sure about that sus but saying jenkins can easily beat him out is kind of shaky in my opinion. i know what people are going to say and i get, the"good guys we have and building for the future" but i am just really bothered that our two guys are setting this year and we have a real need at outside linebacker or defensive end which could have been addressed with one of these picks

I'm agreeing with you more and more on this. I can't believe either of these guys aren't getting any game time exprience. This is the NFL. We only have them on a 4 year contract. Sitting them for a whole year seems stupid. Additionally, Jenkins looked dangerous in preseason as time went on. Then again, I'm not totally suprised. We dont even use the weapons we do have with any consistency. Our offense seems more about the system than playmakers, which is a good thing in the long term, but dont expect any superstars throughout the year.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
not sure about that sus but saying jenkins can easily beat him out is kind of shaky in my opinion. i know what people are going to say and i get, the"good guys we have and building for the future" but i am just really bothered that our two guys are setting this year and we have a real need at outside linebacker or defensive end which could have been addressed with one of these picks

I'm agreeing with you more and more on this. I can't believe either of these guys aren't getting any game time exprience. This is the NFL. We only have them on a 4 year contract. Sitting them for a whole year seems stupid. Additionally, Jenkins looked dangerous in preseason as time went on. Then again, I'm not totally suprised. We dont even use the weapons we do have with any consistency. Our offense seems more about the system than playmakers, which is a good thing in the long term, but dont expect any superstars throughout the year.

If Harbaugh and Baalke had known Johnson and Fleming would be injured they might have changed their draft but woulda coulda shoulda.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

If Harbaugh and Baalke had known Johnson and Fleming would be injured they might have changed their draft but woulda coulda shoulda.

Those were two very late round longterm developement players at the OLB position. I'm talking about 1st through 3rd round talent at the NT/DE positions that could sit and develope to help the rotation or take over if Soap/RJF leave or someone gets injured. Shoot I'd even take a high pick at the saftey positions incase we cant retain Goldson or Whitner.

Those were two very late round longterm developement players at the OLB position. I'm talking about 1st through 3rd round talent at the NT/DE positions that could sit and develope to help the rotation or take over if Soap/RJF leave or someone gets injured. Shoot I'd even take a high pick at the saftey positions incase we cant retain Goldson or Whitner.

The fact that they selected late for those positions and didn't sign a FA indicates their faith in vets. Not sure a top pick would automatically push either Sop or RJF onto the inactive list. When you look at this team it's hard to find a position that would be easy for a rookie to be a first year upgrade. Dobbs? I like him a lot and evidently the coaches do as well. The only position open is OLB and that was due to injury...unforeseeable at draft time. Cam Johnson was projected in the second round by some (Mayock) and dropped due to health concerns.
We've been bad for so long that we believe all rookies should be immediately thrown out there. How long has it been since a 1st or 2nd round player had to come here and sit?

But RJF hardly gets any game time. Our coaching staff simply doesnt like to rotate in players along the dline. I doubt a rookie DL would get much more playing time than Jenkins/LMJ.

I doubt there are any positions we could have drafted that would have gotten any more playing time.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
We've been bad for so long that we believe all rookies should be immediately thrown out there. How long has it been since a 1st or 2nd round player had to come here and sit?

rashaun woods sat because he sucked
Originally posted by nannite:

But RJF hardly gets any game time. Our coaching staff simply doesnt like to rotate in players along the dline. I doubt a rookie DL would get much more playing time than Jenkins/LMJ.

I doubt there are any positions we could have drafted that would have gotten any more playing time.

Both of you make valid points. I'm just anxious to see what they can do. Our team is so stacked with talent right now, I dont think any rookie could start, especially on defense. However, I would like to see them get some real game time experience. I still keep hoping that we are saving them as secret weapons to be unleashed at the end of the season so teams dont have film on them....

P.S. I'm not sure why you said RJF doesn't get a lot of game time? He gets a ton of game time.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Nov 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM ]
Let Goldson walk and draft a safety to replace him.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Ginn will be released. Moss will retire after getting his SB ring as a Niner this year . Jacobs is cut. Dixon too.

Frank and Hunter split the load more evenly with Hunter getting more time and LMJ is used as both a kick return man and the 3rd rb.

Manningham and Crab's start. Jenkins competes with kw for the 3rd spot.

Fixed that for you.
[ Edited by 49erFanInTX83 on Nov 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM ]
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
rashaun woods sat because he sucked

I thought he was missing on Sundays because he was fishing.
Originally posted by Marsh:
I think the issue is even when we were good we had our rookies in there. So it's just a different way to let them learn I guess

We don't really use our receivers as is. We have Randy Moss for crying out loud and he isn't really used. Even if Jenkins were active on game day, I doubt he'd get much of an opportunity to do anything.

As for James, its a crowded backfield. Even when he plays next season, the backfield will still be crowded. Gore looks better get 15 carries a game than he did getting 20-25 a game. And he seems to be running for just as many yards, if not more. Kendall Hunter seems to do great things whenever he gets the ball. Here's hoping Jenkins can step in next season and we have a poor man's version of the Million Dollar Backfield. Since the original HOF incarnation, we've had two talented backs at once a few times. I can't think of a time when we had 3.