There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How can the 49ers make sure that our first 2 picks are used next year?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Gelder:
And I don't consider Kyle Williams a "well established" vet, Jenkins can easily beat him out and win the third spot.

dude KW is the next Wes Welker.
not sure about that sus but saying jenkins can easily beat him out is kind of shaky in my opinion. i know what people are going to say and i get, the"good guys we have and building for the future" but i am just really bothered that our two guys are setting this year and we have a real need at outside linebacker or defensive end which could have been addressed with one of these picks
Our use of our draft picks is simply a testimony of how the good team is. Whatever the front office does it has options for trades, more draft picks, etc to develop the team, not just to make draft picks happy. If they are good and they are here next year Harbaugh will put them in the mix and the best players will emerge and that is what will make up the team.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by fryet:
So we have come to accept that Jenkins and LMJ will not be used much this year, but it could still work out to being a great draft. However, I think it would be safe to say that we would view it as a mistake if they are not used next year. However, they will have the same issues next year, and must unseat a veteran in order to get on to the field - or that veteran needs to leave the team.

I think a lot of this depends on LMJ learning to field punts. If he can learn to do that, then we can let Ted Ginn go, and LMJ and Kyle Williams could handle punts in his place. Having a place on special teams would also make it easier for him to get on the 46 man roster. So with this in mind, I see the following happening:

Randy Moss and Ted Ginn do not return next year. This will ensure that Jenkins makes the 46 roster. He can then compete for one of the 3 starting positions.

Brandon Jacobs does not return next year. But even with this move, LMJ will not make the 46 unless he can play on special teams, or unseat Hunter as the #2 RB. I think he is going to have the hardest time getting on the field, other than possibly special teams.

You want to let Tedd Ginn go and have LMJ return kicks. Did you see him try to return kicks in the preseason?....
maybe ginn will be back on another one year deal. if he goes, we got kyle and who else?? i am not willing to hope and wish the two kids who are setting this year will be solid returners for us next year
Originally posted by cciowa:
And I don't consider Kyle Williams a "well established" vet, Jenkins can easily beat him out and win the third spot.

not sure about that sus but saying jenkins can easily beat him out is kind of shaky in my opinion. i know what people are going to say and i get, the"good guys we have and building for the future" but i am just really bothered that our two guys are setting this year and we have a real need at outside linebacker or defensive end which could have been addressed with one of these picks

When your first round cant beat out a 3rd string WR I think its cause for concern.
Originally posted by Marsh:
Trade them?

You may have been joking but with the depth on this team...this may be the only way. If we had drafted a certain TE from Stanford I believe he may have played some this year. But other than that it's really hard to think of a rookie who would be starting for this team. Another WR who was more NFL ready? Maybe but would they really have a shot at starting?

It is almost shocking that the 9ers have no serious injuries so far this year. By this time last year we were getting low on WRs. One way to be sure to have room for the rookies is to NOT sign FAs at the same position...which would be dumb. There is no rule that says rookies have to start.

Ideally you would draft only players at the position where you know you will have injuries the next year...
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM ]
When your first round cant beat out a 3rd string WR I think its cause for concern.

Lol you've gotta be kidding me. Kyle Williams brings value to our GAMEDAY roster as a decent WR, and a backup return man.

Jenkins only value (right now) if he was to suit up would be as WR, and he is not getting in over Moss/Crabtree/Manningham. You're 4th WR on the roster is supposted to have some special teams value. Thus my reason for next season, Jenkins makes the gameday roster and Kyle is still the 4th WR because he brings his special teams value.

Which also leads to my point of Kyle returning punts next year, and James KICKOFFS ONLY and as a back up RB. It's not that hard to imagine happening.
The D-Line can use some depth and we're kind of thin at linebacker. The Niners should get some quality players at those positions. I see Ted Ginn mentioned as a possibel cut. He is the best return man that I can remember, and I go way back. He plays with a swagger at the position, too bad he can't translate that to receiver. However, there is no one near his ability at the position, keep him as long as he produces.

Get serious sus...

Wes Welker was merely the precursor to KW; he was sent to prepare the way
The Niners are revolutionary...we have brought the Hockey model of player development to the NFL! We bring in kids and let em season up in the minors before they make the big club.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
If we had drafted a certain TE from Stanford...

We gonna get one next time around... I jus knows its.

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
We gonna get one next time around... I jus knows its.

Looks pretty good! I would be happy with Zach.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

full disclosure here.. as you know sus i have been a big backer of kyle williams this year but yes yes,, i really thought jenkins would beat out kyle who would then get displaced by ginn due to ginns kick returning ability. i know about the company line of "jh knows best" but i gotta tell you sus, i am with you on this thing,,, and do not even get me started on what we could have done with the james pick. they already had kendell and gore, they got jacobs, what the heck did they need james for? if he was supposed to be gores replacement why do it last year? i think gores replacement would be drafted with this coming years draft. whatever, a nice pass rusher would be looking pretty good right now with that second pick,, whatever
cut some of the guys on this years roster?
We didn't draft an LB depth at a high pick because we were high on Cam Johnson, and still had a very trustyworthy veteran in Parys Haralson before he got hurt as the third backer. Unfortunately, I think Parys gets let go next year because of his contract. DE/OLB will be our priorities in the top 2 rounds. Possibly a safety depending on how the Goldson deal pans out.
[ Edited by Gelder on Nov 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM ]
Too many of you take this stuff out of perspective. Last years MVP sat for 3 years after being drafted early, nuff said