There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How can the 49ers make sure that our first 2 picks are used next year?

• fryet
  • Veteran
So we have come to accept that Jenkins and LMJ will not be used much this year, but it could still work out to being a great draft. However, I think it would be safe to say that we would view it as a mistake if they are not used next year. However, they will have the same issues next year, and must unseat a veteran in order to get on to the field - or that veteran needs to leave the team.

I think a lot of this depends on LMJ learning to field punts. If he can learn to do that, then we can let Ted Ginn go, and LMJ and Kyle Williams could handle punts in his place. Having a place on special teams would also make it easier for him to get on the 46 man roster. So with this in mind, I see the following happening:

Randy Moss and Ted Ginn do not return next year. This will ensure that Jenkins makes the 46 roster. He can then compete for one of the 3 starting positions.

Brandon Jacobs does not return next year. But even with this move, LMJ will not make the 46 unless he can play on special teams, or unseat Hunter as the #2 RB. I think he is going to have the hardest time getting on the field, other than possibly special teams.
Trade them to the Chiefs for Eric Berry
Can we return them and get our draft picks back ?
Injure a starter.....Boom

You're welcome.
Don't really see a need to concern ourselves on whether next year's first two picks play much or not. But to give much more thought to it..

Best bet is to draft a stud TE # 2 that can immediately take Walker's role and see lots of time in a 2 TE set.

I can see a rush LB drafted early enough that he could be used in a rotation to keep Brooks or Smith fresh. I could see a FS drafted early and get some play, if Goldson is not retained. Maybe a stud DE could get some snaps to relieve Justin or Ray, if he's good or better than Dobbs. Maybe we draft a stud WR and he bumps KW off the roster to provide a healthy rotation of Crabtree, Rio, and Jenkins?

Either way, we are picking late in the rounds... so once again, we won't really need a rookie to step in and get meaningful snaps in 2013.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Injure a starter.....Boom

You're welcome.

Harbaugh approaches Hunter, carrying a lead pipe, and says, "It is time for you to take one for the team!"

option them down to AAA fresno

/thread
Not sure if this is about this year's top picks getting used next year, or drafting two guys next year that will play early. These aren't necessarily my wishes, just likely scenarios (IMO) that would cause these players to get on the field.

If it's option A: let Ginn and Jacobs bounce. Reevaluate Moss after the season. LMJ and KW are returner and backup, however that shakes out. AJ fights Ham and Moss (if he's back) for reps on the outside. LMJ suits as the returner or backup and goes in for wildKap package, which is used for several plays at a time, 2-4 times per game (or Kaep starts and LMJ gets A LOT of reps from the gun).

If it's option B: Let Walker... well, walk. Draft a TE early; I like Eifert, but Harbaugh doesn't seem to have any special interest in tall, long-armed hands catchers who have a decided vertical advantage ( Fleener and Tyms). Draft a safety if Goldson gets away. There should be some studs in this draft. Trade a mid/late-round pick for a dependable vet swing tackle.
Next year our WRs will look like Crabtree and Jenkins as the starters, and Manningham in the slot. We'll still have Kyle Williams as well, and there is a small probability Teddy Ginn returns. May bring up one of our practice squad guys next year for the 5th guy that won't suit up.

Running Backs will be Gore, Hunter, James and Anthony Dixon with Dixon playing strictly return team. LMJ will be a return man as well as a backup RB/Shotgun formations.

Thats how I think they will be used. Year 3 for LMJ on the other hand will be Hunter and LMJ splitting reps as I think Gore may be done two years from now, but I will never count that man out.
[ Edited by Gelder on Nov 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Gelder:
Next year our WRs will look like Crabtree and Jenkins are the starters, and Manningham in the slot. We'll still have Kyle Williams as well, and there is a small probabiltiy Teddy Ginn returns. May bring up one of our practice squad guys next year for the 5th.

Running Backs will be Gore, Hunter, James and Anthony Dixon with Dixon playing strictly return team. LMJ will be a return man as well as a backup RB/Shotgun formations.

Thats how I think they will be used. Year 3 for LMJ will be Hunter and LMJ splitting reps as I think Gore may be done two years from now, but I will never count that man out.

So a kid who got benched his whole rookie year is going to magically become a starter next year over established vets.....not happening.

Unless LMJ learned how to field kicks he better not be anywhere near them. He looked like dog s**t in preseason doing it...counting on him to be the starter....not happening.
Originally posted by jreff22:
So a kid who got benched his whole rookie year is going to magically become a starter next year over established vets.....not happening.

Unless LMJ learned how to field kicks he better not be anywhere near them. He looked like dog s**t in preseason doing it...counting on him to be the starter....not happening.
Randy Moss will not return, and neither will Teddy Ginn. We clearly drafted for the FUTURE this year because we have so much depth. Manningham could end up being the starter and Jenkins as the third, I just figured Manningham was better in the slot. But make note, I'll bet anything Jenkins is above Kyle Williams next season.

Also, LMJ looked s**tty returning PUNTS ..not kicks. Kyle Williams will be our return man for punts.
And I don't consider Kyle Williams a "well established" vet, Jenkins can easily beat him out and win the third spot.
Originally posted by Gelder:
And I don't consider Kyle Williams a "well established" vet, Jenkins can easily beat him out and win the third spot.

dude KW is the next Wes Welker.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

i am thinking ginn will not be back and i know we still have kyle but i was assuming james would make his impact returning kicks next year. more and more this pick is looking like we should have taken a de or a linebacker who can spell our guys and make plays
Originally posted by fryet:
So we have come to accept that Jenkins and LMJ will not be used much this year, but it could still work out to being a great draft. However, I think it would be safe to say that we would view it as a mistake if they are not used next year. However, they will have the same issues next year, and must unseat a veteran in order to get on to the field - or that veteran needs to leave the team.

I think a lot of this depends on LMJ learning to field punts. If he can learn to do that, then we can let Ted Ginn go, and LMJ and Kyle Williams could handle punts in his place. Having a place on special teams would also make it easier for him to get on the 46 man roster. So with this in mind, I see the following happening:

Randy Moss and Ted Ginn do not return next year. This will ensure that Jenkins makes the 46 roster. He can then compete for one of the 3 starting positions.

Brandon Jacobs does not return next year. But even with this move, LMJ will not make the 46 unless he can play on special teams, or unseat Hunter as the #2 RB. I think he is going to have the hardest time getting on the field, other than possibly special teams.

You want to let Tedd Ginn go and have LMJ return kicks. Did you see him try to return kicks in the preseason?....