There are 227 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by dwy621:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by dwy621:
If Alex doesn't win a Super Bowl by the time his current contract is up, then they need to move on without him. If he can't do it with the current team, then he will never get it done.



Ryan
Schaub
Stafford
etc etc

better hurry up as well

Can you honestly say you want him to keep starting if he doesn't? He still has this year and 2 more years on his contract. He already set the bar when he went to the NFC championship game. I have high expectations for this team. Also, the defense isn't going to get any younger and the window to win is pretty small in the NFL if you don't have a top notch QB.

If he throws the game winning pass in the numbers and its dropped...yes he comes back. If he gets the lead and the D blows it yes he comes back. Speaking in absolutes when there are a million different variables is dumb. Depending on how he and the team preforms will need to be witnessed before I make an or judgement call.

You also have to consider that you will possibly lose Kaep because his rookie contract is up around the same time. I'm sure Kaep will want to find a team where he can start. I'd be really mad if Kaep turns into a star on another team.
Originally posted by jreff22:


Ryan
Schaub
Stafford
etc etc

better hurry up as well

The teams those guys play for don't have the same great histories as a team and at qb. They won't be held to the same standards as we hold Qbs on our team, they are the standard on their respective teams. Fair or unfair Joe Montana and Steve Young have set the standards for our team at the Qb position. I don't think Garcia was a bad qb for us, he was alway under the pressure of being the "next" great niners Qb. Alex was drafted #1 seven years ago and I assure you he wasn't drafted to be just a good qb, just the life of a niners qb. No superbowl, you don't measure up!!
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
The teams those guys play for don't have the same great histories as a team and at qb. They won't be held to the same standards as we hold Qbs on our team, they are the standard on their respective teams. Fair or unfair Joe Montana and Steve Young have set the standards for our team at the Qb position. I don't think Garcia was a bad qb for us, he was alway under the pressure of being the "next" great niners Qb. Alex was drafted #1 seven years ago and I assure you he wasn't drafted to be just a good qb, just the life of a niners qb. No superbowl, you don't measure up!!

Winning a Super Bowl is not 1 players job. It takes a lot more than that. If anyone set the bar high it was Eddie D and the coaches he brought in and the players that the coaches thought could get the job done with. Right now it seems to me they think they can do it with our starting qb. So let's see what happens.
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:13 PM ]
Originally posted by dwy621:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by dwy621:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by dwy621:
If Alex doesn't win a Super Bowl by the time his current contract is up, then they need to move on without him. If he can't do it with the current team, then he will never get it done.



Ryan
Schaub
Stafford
etc etc

better hurry up as well

Can you honestly say you want him to keep starting if he doesn't? He still has this year and 2 more years on his contract. He already set the bar when he went to the NFC championship game. I have high expectations for this team. Also, the defense isn't going to get any younger and the window to win is pretty small in the NFL if you don't have a top notch QB.

If he throws the game winning pass in the numbers and its dropped...yes he comes back. If he gets the lead and the D blows it yes he comes back. Speaking in absolutes when there are a million different variables is dumb. Depending on how he and the team preforms will need to be witnessed before I make an or judgement call.

You also have to consider that you will possibly lose Kaep because his rookie contract is up around the same time. I'm sure Kaep will want to find a team where he can start. I'd be really mad if Kaep turns into a star on another team.

I don't see Kaep leaving. I think Harbaugh is gonna keep him long term. I don't mind having Smith being the starter a couple more years if it means Kaep will be our future starter cause I think he's gonna be a beast for the 49ers. It'll be interesting to see what Smith does in his next game against the Rams. Hopefully this offense opens up a little more cause if Moss starts producing and catching more balls then this offense is gonna be really hard to stop. Also Crabtree looked like a monster! He was abusing Patterson all night.
why is that every week alex does good there is a thread made talking about trading Kap and when he does bad there is a new thread talking about when Kap will take over. Alex needs to prove himself against a top defense. The cardinals are pretty good but not a top 5 defense...and we did face the seahawks but Alex didnt really shine in that game like he did against cards, bills, jets, and GB
Originally posted by GoNiners:
I don't see Kaep leaving. I think Harbaugh is gonna keep him long term. I don't mind having Smith being the starter a couple more years if it means Kaep will be our future starter cause I think he's gonna be a beast for the 49ers. It'll be interesting to see what Smith does in his next game against the Rams. Hopefully this offense opens up a little more cause if Moss starts producing and catching more balls then this offense is gonna be really hard to stop. Also Crabtree looked like a monster! He was abusing Patterson all night.

Only flaw I see with this is that you're not accounting for the possiblity that Smith might always out play Kaep and never lose his job. Remember, Alex is only 3 years older...I am sure we lose Kaep in 4-5 years if he can't beat out Alex.
Well, if it isn't decided before than they are both free agents after the 2014 season so we will have our answer then. So 2 more after this one and then we will be forced if we haven't made the decision by then.
If he's ok with being a backup for a few years than keep him.. if not then trade him.. simple
Without a doubt, you trade him. Worth more now with the hype. He is very gifted athletically, but I don't see his game translating well in the NFL. And word on the street is that his decsion making is questionable. So, yeah, in favor of trading 'potential,' as his value is worth more. Having said that though, not sure what we could get in return. Still kind of frustrated our 1st and 2nd round picks are inactive. And with CK being a second rounder from last year, thats 3 picks that most teams would expect almost immediate impact from. Now, I know CK was insurance for Alex, which was fine at the time, but let's move on from that. As we've seen this year, confidence is everything to Smith. Throwin CK in for a play here and there doesn't do anything but hurt us in the long term. Besides, I think Tolzien has the tools to be a solid backup.
Wow, you guys are suffering from bad quarterback syndrome. Alex is an average serviceable QB at best with a tendency to be really bad. Alex is on track for an average year & posters think he's magnificent. CK has the potential to be a special player. Don't be afraid of good QB play.
Originally posted by fister30:
Wow, you guys are suffering from bad quarterback syndrome. Alex is an average serviceable QB at best with a tendency to be really bad. Alex is on track for an average year & posters think he's magnificent. CK has the potential to be a special player. Don't be afraid of good QB play.

Besides total yards (which has been pretty well documented as not having much relationship with winning games), on what basis are you calling Alex an average QB?
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Besides total yards (which has been pretty well documented as not having much relationship with winning games), on what basis are you calling Alex an average QB?

Hitting WRs on time, using all of the field, ability to hit deeper WRs in tight windows, allowing WRs to run after the catch, extending plays in the pocket, better in broken plays, making DC's game plan against him opening room for Gore.
Originally posted by UKNiners:
Without a doubt, you trade him. Worth more now with the hype. He is very gifted athletically, but I don't see his game translating well in the NFL. And word on the street is that his decsion making is questionable. So, yeah, in favor of trading 'potential,' as his value is worth more. Having said that though, not sure what we could get in return. Still kind of frustrated our 1st and 2nd round picks are inactive. And with CK being a second rounder from last year, thats 3 picks that most teams would expect almost immediate impact from. Now, I know CK was insurance for Alex, which was fine at the time, but let's move on from that. As we've seen this year, confidence is everything to Smith. Throwin CK in for a play here and there doesn't do anything but hurt us in the long term. Besides, I think Tolzien has the tools to be a solid backup.

Wrong!

First, we used an early 2nd on him (not even counting the picks to trade up). As it stands now, it's extremely unlikely any team would offer more than a 2nd for him, which means we wouldn't "profit" from the trade. Second, he's a solid backup. He's young, extremely talented, and creates problems for defense with his legs. His mobility and big arm could be potent in the WCO.

It's WAY too early to just give up on him. He's only been in the league a year and a half and in his limited playing time, he's been very productive. We know he has cannon and we haven't even showcased that aspect of his game. He's basically been asked to play the Tebow role and he's handled it much better than expected. The thing I like most I that he has arm to make the intermediate/deep throws, which opens it up for our RBs. The running game is really what this team is about. The bonus he adds is that if teams don't leave someone on the edge, Kaep can keep it and take off.
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by UKNiners:
Without a doubt, you trade him. Worth more now with the hype. He is very gifted athletically, but I don't see his game translating well in the NFL. And word on the street is that his decsion making is questionable. So, yeah, in favor of trading 'potential,' as his value is worth more. Having said that though, not sure what we could get in return. Still kind of frustrated our 1st and 2nd round picks are inactive. And with CK being a second rounder from last year, thats 3 picks that most teams would expect almost immediate impact from. Now, I know CK was insurance for Alex, which was fine at the time, but let's move on from that. As we've seen this year, confidence is everything to Smith. Throwin CK in for a play here and there doesn't do anything but hurt us in the long term. Besides, I think Tolzien has the tools to be a solid backup.

Wrong!

First, we used an early 2nd on him (not even counting the picks to trade up). As it stands now, it's extremely unlikely any team would offer more than a 2nd for him, which means we wouldn't "profit" from the trade. Second, he's a solid backup. He's young, extremely talented, and creates problems for defense with his legs. His mobility and big arm could be potent in the WCO.

It's WAY too early to just give up on him. He's only been in the league a year and a half and in his limited playing time, he's been very productive. We know he has cannon and we haven't even showcased that aspect of his game. He's basically been asked to play the Tebow role and he's handled it much better than expected. The thing I like most I that he has arm to make the intermediate/deep throws, which opens it up for our RBs. The running game is really what this team is about. The bonus he adds is that if teams don't leave someone on the edge, Kaep can keep it and take off.

Respect your opinion and you make good points. However, why not get something now? I'm sure we could get good value. Lets say we can get a third that plays. Better that than potential on the bench. And again, makes up for drafting AJ and James. We are built to win now.
Originally posted by UKNiners:
Respect your opinion and you make good points. However, why not get something now? I'm sure we could get good value. Lets say we can get a third that plays. Better that than potential on the bench. And again, makes up for drafting AJ and James. We are built to win now.

He won't get traded because Alex Smith is terrible. The 49ers are built to sellout games, not go to the Super Bowl. The Ravens are no different. That is all.