LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by English:
Neither.

Keep him as backup and reassess each year to make sure we are starting the best player.

This.

More of this. I like Ck7, but we should and will stick with the winning, proven vet QB. If Alex somehow shockingly falls apart, then they will likely release him and his remaining contract. Then, Ck7 will get his chance as the locked in starter. If Alex has a mediocre finish to this season, there will be a strong QB competition in the next offseason. If Alex gets us into the playoffs and we fail to win due to others failing? He will likely still be the starter with a remote chance of a real QB competition.
Originally posted by MrTruth:
CK will not play this season in any serious game again, Harb/Roman already learned that. If he doesn't improve next season they will trade him.

That is not the truth. They won't trade him next year. The playing part may be semi right, but we will use him occasionally. The niners stated they wanted to reduce it last week and Alex played good enough to not put him in. Don't read into it.
option #3, start CK and help Steve Deberg move on. I bet we can get a 3rd for Alex.
CK will not play this season in any serious game again, Harb/Roman already learned that. If he doesn't improve next season they will trade him.

The problem with that thought process is he probably wont get a chance to improve until the offseason. He has 2 more years on his rookie deal, so I can't imagine the Niners would trade him until the final year of the deal.

Essentially, there is not rush. Im sure Kaep is getting frustrated, but if Alex plays at the level he's playing now, there's nothing he can do. He did put some good film out there for other teams to salivate over (jets specifically). Im sure there will be interest in a year or 2.
I have a feeling that NEITHER QB will be the starting 49ers QB come 2015, but that's a long time from now and so much can happen in between (injuries, trades, etc.).

It will probably depend on current success. Can Alex win us a SB this year or next? If he can, he's here to stay, probably gets resigned for another 3-4 years, and plays into his early 30s for us.

For Kaep to get the nod RIGHT NOW will require Alex to tank it pretty bad, and I doubt that happens this season. Harbs isn't going to switch QBs late into the season with an opp for a playoff spot, whether that's winning the division, or a wild card. Way too much risk.

What I can see happening is if we don't win the SB this year and Alex has a terrible playoff game(s), in which the defense held it's own and kept us in the game, but Alex didn't execute to get us the win, going into the 2013 season they'll take a much harder look at Kaep.

I believe there's always the draft to consider getting a top prospect QB in 2014, depending where our success has been. I don't think we can keep this defense intact beyond 2013, so we'll need more production out of the QB position. Remains to be seen which of the two will take a strangle hold, but my faith is in Alex at this point.

Bottom line, hold onto Kaep and keep grooming him. The longer he sits, the more he'll learn under Harbs/GRo. I think he'll have a legit shot in 2014 to become the starter.
Originally posted by fister30:
option #3, start CK and help Steve Deberg move on. I bet we can get a 3rd for Alex.

Steve Deberg. Wow, clever man. How long did it take to come up with that and then refer to him by two different names in the same post? Good effort.
When we win the division and qualify for the playoffs , let Alex play the first couple of possessions of one game, and then pull him and let CK play the game out ....the coaches will have more tape on him to evaluate his progression...the same with Gore ....let Hunter get the lions share of the carries for one game ..once we secured home field advantage that is
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Alright, sooner or later, the coaching staff and management team will have to make a decision for the future of our Niner's franchise.Lets face it, we will make the playoffs this year and more than likely, next year with Alex as our QB.

So what do we do with our 2nd round pick Kaepernick?

Alex will be in his last year's contract next season (3 year contract when he signed) As fans, what do you want to see happen?

Resign Alex Smith and have him start for our team for another 3-5 years?
or
Let Alex play out his contract and start preparing for CK7 to take over when Alex Smith's contract is up?

some of the scenarios I see that may possibly happen:

1) we win the superbowl with Alex Smith either this year or next, so we extend his contract

2) we miss the superbowl this year and next year (we make the playoffs) but get eliminated each time facing elite teams. Smith's contract doesn't get extended and the coaching staff experiments with CK7?

Reassess every year. Not making it to the SB annually doesn't mean you eject the starting QB, as there may be many factors leading to the losses. The 49ers of 1986, 1987, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 were great teams that happened to be destroyed in the playoffs just because the other teams played better on those particular days, not entirely the fault of Joe Montana or Steve Young.
AS is the starting QB this season. If scott tolzien improves next season and CK does not improve then CK will be traded for picks. CK is STILL a BIG project and has yet to pan out, reason why AS was resigned, is STILL the starting QB and the team is 6-2 leading the division

Whining about AS and talking positive about CK doesn't change those facts.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Oct 31, 2012 at 9:56 AM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
We can't continue to have a play it safe QB and win under adverse conditions. It's a matter of adaptability....sometimes your defense will slip up, or special teams will give up a play, or your kicker will miss (we've seen it happen already). When you have a QB like Alex, you can't comeback....so for all his statistics, and low number of mistakes....it all boils down Alex not taking the chance to make a big play, because he's afraid of making a big mistake.

Bottomline, either Alex needs to figure out how make plays with his arm, or we need to go in another direction. We will not win a Superbowl playing scared, or playing the percentages etc.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by kray28:
We can't continue to have a play it safe QB and win under adverse conditions. It's a matter of adaptability....sometimes your defense will slip up, or special teams will give up a play, or your kicker will miss (we've seen it happen already). When you have a QB like Alex, you can't comeback....so for all his statistics, and low number of mistakes....it all boils down Alex not taking the chance to make a big play, because he's afraid of making a big mistake.

Bottomline, either Alex needs to figure out how make plays with his arm, or we need to go in another direction. We will not win a Superbowl playing scared, or playing the percentages etc.

this
We can't continue to have a play it safe QB and win under adverse conditions. It's a matter of adaptability....sometimes your defense will slip up, or special teams will give up a play, or your kicker will miss (we've seen it happen already). When you have a QB like Alex, you can't comeback....

And CK or any other QB on the current roster has proven they can comeback?!?
AS is the starting QB this season. If scott tolzien improves next season and CK does not improve then CK will be traded for picks. CK is STILL a BIG project and has yet to pan out, reason why AS was resigned, is STILL the starting QB and the team is 6-2 leading the division

Whining about AS and talking positive about CK doesn't change those facts.

Yeah dude, f**k CK7, that prick looks like he'll take 7 years to develop...
Originally posted by kush:
Yeah dude, f**k CK7, that prick looks like he'll take 7 years to develop...

Right, we can't afford another 7 years, we already wasted those with AS
Therefore CK will be traded if he doesn't improve next year, his 3RD year in the league
[ Edited by MrTruth on Oct 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

this
what have you seen to make you think ck can do what you say alex can not do? or are just willing to say,, well i think and hope he can so that is good enough?
Share 49ersWebzone