Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
whatever... alex can put together 3-4 good games in a row, have 1 bad game and everyone starts caving in again. Alex is playing at a top 10 QB level IMO. This is not the appropriate time to call for kaepernick after a bad game. Maybe in 2007 when we were losing.

As a whole, we are irrational, we over react, and in general dont know what we are talking about. Alex is a good QB on a great team, playing at an excellent level because of it. He is good enough to take this team to a superbowl. Even before yesterday's game Alex was on pace for 20+ TD's and around 10 Ints which is a good season by most accounts.
I've lived in Denver and Boston, both big-time football cities, and it is my impression the fans there are more knowledgeable, as a whole, than 49er fans. Not meaning to throw stones at this fan base. Just my observation.

Its not just our fans who say this. Almost every NFL I talk to that are not Niner fans all the say the same thing. "Man you guys got a great team the only thing missing is the QB" and I just shake my head and say "yah but hopefully our defense and running game can carry us to the championship."

Its just our fans, its fans of other teams and the majority of the mainstream media.

Fans from other teams don't pay attention to what's going on with the 9ers. They listen to the mainstream gobble gobble media jive turkeys.

This is the correct answer. Why would you put stock in people who only see the Niner highlights...some weeks...and pre-filtered by the talking heads? The data used to formulate their opinions is limited and faulty.

I dont put stock into them Im just letting you what I hear. Believe it or not there some football fans and experts who are knowledgeable and think that our QB is very average at best. The perception on this site is if you are critical of our QB then you are an idiot fan who doesn't know football.

Wrong.

Lack of football IQ and objectivity makes them idiot fans who don't know football.

Some of the comments after last night's game solidified this. People were using the WRs yac yardage as ammo to bash Smith. And when the WRs didn't get yac, he was checking down.

And when 98% of certain people's posts have some kind of anti-Smith overtone, that tells me that said posters are fully invested in Alex Smith's failure.

For the record I never said anything about the YAC, yac is a good thing.

as for the bolded line I dont think any fan can invest in a players failure or success. The only thing you can invest is your time to watch the game and money if you are gambling on it. Anything else is just a bunch of noise fans use to pass time on the internet.

See the Smith situation is unique from a fans perspective. Ratto said it 30 minutes ago on KNBR. Certain fans are indeed invested in his failure, dismissing his accomplishments and only chiming in when he f**ks up. Whether they think so or not,they are invested in his failure.

Its a sad thing to be one of those fans.

Since when is Ratto the end all know all for the fans ?

He is most definitely not.

But in this particular case he is spot on imo. Doesn't take a clairvoyant genius to see it either. Been a trend for years, that's what's unique about it.
"Other than those few happy years when Joe Montana was free of the shadow of Steve Young (1980-1986), the backup quarterback has always been the most exalted position in the team's history."

Wow, spoken for truth. I think 1986 was the last time the backup QB wasn't the most heralded of positions on the team...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
whatever... alex can put together 3-4 good games in a row, have 1 bad game and everyone starts caving in again. Alex is playing at a top 10 QB level IMO. This is not the appropriate time to call for kaepernick after a bad game. Maybe in 2007 when we were losing.

As a whole, we are irrational, we over react, and in general dont know what we are talking about. Alex is a good QB on a great team, playing at an excellent level because of it. He is good enough to take this team to a superbowl. Even before yesterday's game Alex was on pace for 20+ TD's and around 10 Ints which is a good season by most accounts.
I've lived in Denver and Boston, both big-time football cities, and it is my impression the fans there are more knowledgeable, as a whole, than 49er fans. Not meaning to throw stones at this fan base. Just my observation.

Its not just our fans who say this. Almost every NFL I talk to that are not Niner fans all the say the same thing. "Man you guys got a great team the only thing missing is the QB" and I just shake my head and say "yah but hopefully our defense and running game can carry us to the championship."

Its just our fans, its fans of other teams and the majority of the mainstream media.

Fans from other teams don't pay attention to what's going on with the 9ers. They listen to the mainstream gobble gobble media jive turkeys.

This is the correct answer. Why would you put stock in people who only see the Niner highlights...some weeks...and pre-filtered by the talking heads? The data used to formulate their opinions is limited and faulty.

I dont put stock into them Im just letting you what I hear. Believe it or not there some football fans and experts who are knowledgeable and think that our QB is very average at best. The perception on this site is if you are critical of our QB then you are an idiot fan who doesn't know football.

Wrong.

Lack of football IQ and objectivity makes them idiot fans who don't know football.

Some of the comments after last night's game solidified this. People were using the WRs yac yardage as ammo to bash Smith. And when the WRs didn't get yac, he was checking down.

And when 98% of certain people's posts have some kind of anti-Smith overtone, that tells me that said posters are fully invested in Alex Smith's failure.

as for the bolded line I dont think any fan can invest in a players failure or success. The only thing you can invest is your time to watch the game and money if you are gambling on it. Anything else is just a bunch of noise fans use to pass time on the internet.

See the Smith situation is unique from a fans perspective. Ratto said it 30 minutes ago on KNBR. Certain fans are indeed invested in his failure, dismissing his accomplishments and only chiming in when he f**ks up. Whether they think so or not,they are invested in his failure.

But in this particular case he is spot on imo. Doesn't take a clairvoyant genius to see it either. Been a trend for years, that's what's unique about it.

I dont think so, I think fans just want what is best for their teams.

Wrong.

So what's best then?

Bench Smith? Bench him for whom? Kaepernick?

Answer the question.

If these 'fans' you speak of agree that right now Smith is the best option, then they should stfu already.

Wrong.

Ratto is such a fat piece of crap. He was the biggest hater of them all for years.
One thing I have learned watching sports...

There is no such thing as can't and will.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Wrong.

So what's best then?

Bench Smith? Bench him for whom? Kaepernick?

Answer the question.

If these 'fans' you speak of agree that right now Smith is the best option, then they should stfu already.

Thats up to coaches to decide, we as fans can only voice our opinion on what we see.

Would I like to see Kap play ? yes I would

Do I think Alex is limited player and can only take us so far ? yes I do

Am I enjoying watching winning football ? f**k yes I am

Do I think we can improve ? yes the pass game is the only weakness on otherwise solid team.

We are fans and we are gonna have different opinions. Now I dont agree with booing our own players me personally I would never do that.
Thats up to coaches to decide, we as fans can only voice our opinion on what we see.

Do I think we can improve ? yes the pass game is the only weakness on otherwise solid team.

We are fans and we are gonna have different opinions. Now I dont agree with booing our own players me personally I would never do that.

Don't dance around the question.

Would you or would you not bench Smith today in favor of Kaepernick?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Yes I would.

Yes I would.

Yes I would.

Lol of course. At least you're honest.

You must not enjoy winning football as much as you claim. Because there isn't much you can say or have seen from Kaepernick that suggests he would come in and win games right now. And I'm sure every player on that offense as well as the coaches are glad you're not calling the shots.

Way to over-generalize about an entire fan base...

All fans b***h and moan... even in Denver, Detroit, Seattle, Arizona, Cincinatti and New York. I've spent parts of my life living in all these places and it's always the same. You have:
-die-hards who know everyplayer who has been on the practice squad this past decade,
-posers who want to pretend like they know what they are saying,
-casual fans, and
-a$$hole fans.

The percentages vary but EVERY fanbase is like this and no one is ever happy unless they end up with a Superbowl in January. Jets fans hate their drafts, Detroit hates their RBs, SF hates their QBs, New England hates their defense, Seattle hates their ownership.... etc. When something has typically been very good and then falls off, fans will complain.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

You must not enjoy winning football as much as you claim. Because there isn't much you can say or have seen from Kaepernick that suggests he would come in and win games right now. And I'm sure every player on that offense as well as the coaches are glad you're not calling the shots.

Im sure they are glad that Im not calling the shots. Hell sometimes Im glad Im not calling the shots. lol

Im sure they are glad that Im not calling the shots. Hell sometimes Im glad Im not calling the shots. lol

No worries. Same goes for all of us wannabe GMs on here.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

No worries. Same goes for all of us wannabe GMs on here.

I was happy on draft day we took Jenkins and LMJ and they haven't gave us nothing. Last year I was like who the f**k is Aldon Smith and the dude is a baller.

I am happy we are winning but I think Kap could do pretty good. I might be wrong but its just my opinion I dont think it makes me a bad fan.
  • mod
  • Veteran

I have no idea what makes you think Kaepernick gives us a better shot at winning... He is more exciting, he has a rocket arm, but his decision making and accuracy has been very questionable and those are far more important than the first two things I listed. I like Kaepernick, I remember him playing against my HS. But Alex gives us the best shot at winning the superbowl right now and that should be our goal... not another Cam Newton who puts up yards but loses.

This is really the crux of this topic... the casual or ignorant fan gets caught up in the wow plays, 50 yard bombs, 30 yard QB scrambles. But what Alex Smith does: calling the correct play, checking down to the high percentage receiver, not turning the ball over... thats gonna get us W's. Its going to rest our D, eat up the clock and move us down the field.
Share 49ersWebzone