Shop Find 49ers gear online

Was Ratto spot on about our fans?

Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
whatever... alex can put together 3-4 good games in a row, have 1 bad game and everyone starts caving in again. Alex is playing at a top 10 QB level IMO. This is not the appropriate time to call for kaepernick after a bad game. Maybe in 2007 when we were losing.

As a whole, we are irrational, we over react, and in general dont know what we are talking about. Alex is a good QB on a great team, playing at an excellent level because of it. He is good enough to take this team to a superbowl. Even before yesterday's game Alex was on pace for 20+ TD's and around 10 Ints which is a good season by most accounts.
I've lived in Denver and Boston, both big-time football cities, and it is my impression the fans there are more knowledgeable, as a whole, than 49er fans. Not meaning to throw stones at this fan base. Just my observation.

Its not just our fans who say this. Almost every NFL I talk to that are not Niner fans all the say the same thing. "Man you guys got a great team the only thing missing is the QB" and I just shake my head and say "yah but hopefully our defense and running game can carry us to the championship."

Its just our fans, its fans of other teams and the majority of the mainstream media.

Fans from other teams don't pay attention to what's going on with the 9ers. They listen to the mainstream gobble gobble media jive turkeys.

This is the correct answer. Why would you put stock in people who only see the Niner highlights...some weeks...and pre-filtered by the talking heads? The data used to formulate their opinions is limited and faulty.

I dont put stock into them Im just letting you what I hear. Believe it or not there some football fans and experts who are knowledgeable and think that our QB is very average at best. The perception on this site is if you are critical of our QB then you are an idiot fan who doesn't know football.

I agree with the underlined, but not the last sentence. Most are critical of Smith....in a reasonable fashion. For example, I was disappointed with the delay of game penalties and time outs this week, and frustrated that he took too many sacks...again. Those things need improvement. However, focusing solely on those things to criticize the guy - and wholly refusing to acknowledge a historic accomplishment - is not reasonable. Neither is ignoring his growth and improvement.

One last thing: With each new accomplishment (Saints, Bills, Cardinals, efficient and smart play, etc.), Smith chips away at the "very average at best" label, and those who insist on clinging to it in the face of changed circumstances are likely to appear foolish.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
whatever... alex can put together 3-4 good games in a row, have 1 bad game and everyone starts caving in again. Alex is playing at a top 10 QB level IMO. This is not the appropriate time to call for kaepernick after a bad game. Maybe in 2007 when we were losing.

As a whole, we are irrational, we over react, and in general dont know what we are talking about. Alex is a good QB on a great team, playing at an excellent level because of it. He is good enough to take this team to a superbowl. Even before yesterday's game Alex was on pace for 20+ TD's and around 10 Ints which is a good season by most accounts.
I've lived in Denver and Boston, both big-time football cities, and it is my impression the fans there are more knowledgeable, as a whole, than 49er fans. Not meaning to throw stones at this fan base. Just my observation.

Its not just our fans who say this. Almost every NFL I talk to that are not Niner fans all the say the same thing. "Man you guys got a great team the only thing missing is the QB" and I just shake my head and say "yah but hopefully our defense and running game can carry us to the championship."

Its just our fans, its fans of other teams and the majority of the mainstream media.

Fans from other teams don't pay attention to what's going on with the 9ers. They listen to the mainstream gobble gobble media jive turkeys.

This is the correct answer. Why would you put stock in people who only see the Niner highlights...some weeks...and pre-filtered by the talking heads? The data used to formulate their opinions is limited and faulty.

I dont put stock into them Im just letting you what I hear. Believe it or not there some football fans and experts who are knowledgeable and think that our QB is very average at best. The perception on this site is if you are critical of our QB then you are an idiot fan who doesn't know football.

Wrong.

Lack of football IQ and objectivity makes them idiot fans who don't know football.

Some of the comments after last night's game solidified this. People were using the WRs yac yardage as ammo to bash Smith. And when the WRs didn't get yac, he was checking down.

And when 98% of certain people's posts have some kind of anti-Smith overtone, that tells me that said posters are fully invested in Alex Smith's failure.
and they were all of a sudden saying with alex and his good play last night it is obvious that arizona does not have that good of a defense!! now what the f**k are we to draw from that kind of blather??
Originally posted by cciowa:
why do you think that? you know the ravens were good for ten years with thier defense,, who is to say we can do that or be this good for ten years? sure things have to go right,, keep the core people, get lucky with drafts, injuries and free agents but sheesh, alot of people were convinced we would decline on defense this year. I counter by,, why can't we be the nfc version of the ravens for the next ten years. i do not dream of things that many never be, i dream of things and say, why not?

See, I rather be the Steelers or Giants. Not as consistent but more hardware. Sadly, I see us going down the path of the Ravens.

We'll see what happens in the NFC playoffs
- Will NYG continue their win anywhere/anytime ways?
- Falcons break through with a playoff win? Playoff run?
- Packers can they rebound? They will have to do it on the road
- Bears. Good to see us get a taste of them this regular season

You still have the Cowboys, Eagles & even Seahawks in the conversation. All teams we have either lost or played evenly matched games against
[ Edited by KEGster on Oct 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM ]
Originally posted by KEGster:
Wait.... do we have an ELITE defense or do we require ELITE QB's make mistakes to win? Seems to me like those two go hand in hand.

And if 18-19 for 3TDs against a top 6 D (something ELITE QBs could not do) is management. I'll take it every time.

Our elite Defense will always keep us in games but you saw first hand what happened against the NYG when our offense fluttered....we got blown out although our Defense held it's own

My point is that considering our talent on offense & defense: We have to expect Championships. Winners retool with new players. Patrick Willis is the only player I am married to on this roster.

Let me ask you this: Over the past two seasons, is the Giants game the norm or an aberration?

On the last point, I think that most DO expect championships with this roster. Games like last night's are championship-caliber games in all phases. .....but your original point was that Smith "continues to MANAGE," which - even assuming it to be true, which I do not - does not exclude championships as this team is built.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Wrong.

Lack of football IQ and objectivity makes them idiot fans who don't know football.

Some of the comments after last night's game solidified this. People were using the WRs yac yardage as ammo to bash Smith. And when the WRs didn't get yac, he was checking down.

And when 98% of certain people's posts have some kind of anti-Smith overtone, that tells me that said posters are fully invested in Alex Smith's failure.

For the record I never said anything about the YAC, yac is a good thing.

as for the bolded line I dont think any fan can invest in a players failure or success. The only thing you can invest is your time to watch the game and money if you are gambling on it. Anything else is just a bunch of noise fans use to pass time on the internet.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i also wonder if he was giving a shot to some of the people on the internet as well

who was ?

jh with his gobble gobble comments,, you know how he rolls,,, us against the world. kind of like my old friend sus used to be before he changed his name and went into the witness protection program. he is probably a teachers aid somewhere helping mentally challenged kids in some small iowa school district. once they find out who he really is, the s**t will hit the fan
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
why do you think that? you know the ravens were good for ten years with thier defense,, who is to say we can do that or be this good for ten years? sure things have to go right,, keep the core people, get lucky with drafts, injuries and free agents but sheesh, alot of people were convinced we would decline on defense this year. I counter by,, why can't we be the nfc version of the ravens for the next ten years. i do not dream of things that many never be, i dream of things and say, why not?

See, I rather be the Steelers or Giants. Not as consistent but more hardware. Sadly, I see us going down the path of the Ravens.

We'll see what happens in the NFC playoffs
- Will NYG continue their win anywhere/anytime ways?
- Falcons break through with a playoff win? Playoff run?
- Packers can they rebound? They will have to do it on the road
- Bears. Good to see us get a taste of them this regular season

You still have the Cowboys, Eagles & even Seahawks in the conversation. All teams we have either lost or played evenly matched games against
i do not think its bad if we go down the path of the ravens in regards to having the nfls best defense for the next ten years,, perhaps i misunderstood something you said. if so, i am sorry
Let me ask you this: Over the past two seasons, is the Giants game the norm or an aberration?

On the last point, I think that most DO expect championships with this roster. Games like last night's are championship-caliber games in all phases. .....but your original point was that Smith "continues to MANAGE," which - even assuming it to be true, which I do not - does not exclude championships as this team is built.

I agree, it was the aberration. Because the only other game I can remember being as such was the Ravens.

But I will also add last nights game was an aberration. The Cardinals defense was pathetic.
- No rush defense
- Poor tackling
- P.Peterson had the worst game I've watched him have
- How many 3rd & Longs did we complete with little routes?

What I'm saying, is that it's unlikely that will occur in the NFC playoffs. Instead, Alex will once again be forced to complete 3rd & 5+ to sustain drives. Overall, I did not see a better played game by us last night than versus NYG, I just saw a far weaker opponent.

My issue with Smith this season is he has not processed that long play touch as he did last season. Without our big plays, we don't defeat the Saints last year

as for the bolded line I dont think any fan can invest in a players failure or success. The only thing you can invest is your time to watch the game and money if you are gambling on it. Anything else is just a bunch of noise fans use to pass time on the internet.
There are a few who have not shown up today or last night....those that keep talking about how s**tty he is and Kap should start. If they cant come in and celebrate a strong win and can only post when Alex plays badly, to me it says they are only waiting for him to fail. Those are the people that want him to do bad to prove they were right and the guy they like is the better alternative.

I will show up win or lose, bad game or great game and talk about the game. You do the same and dont hide if Alex plays great or s**tty. Those that hide have an agenda and live to stir the pot with idiotic assumptions and predictions on how the kid will fail every week. It's sad!! Its easy to have balls and talk s**t when he looks bad, those same pople need to have bigger balls and come and talk when he plays good....something that doesnt happen.

I agree, it was the aberration. Because the only other game I can remember being as such was the Ravens.

But I will also add last nights game was an aberration. The Cardinals defense was pathetic.
- No rush defense
- Poor tackling

What I'm saying, is that it's unlikely that will occur in the NFC playoffs. Instead, Alex will once again be forced to complete 3rd & 5+ to sustain drives. Overall, I did not see a better played game by us last night than versus NYG, I just saw a far weaker opponent.

My issue with Smith this season is he has not processed that long play touch as he did last season. Without our big plays, we don't defeat the Saints last year

Yeah, their D was bad...but some of that was due to our O!

I respectfully disagree with you re: the difference in the team yesterday and v the Giants. Smith's INTs in that game were killers.

While I could not give a single you-know-what about deep passes for the sake of it, I think that they will come when appropriate.

i do not think its bad if we go down the path of the ravens in regards to having the nfls best defense for the next ten years,, perhaps i misunderstood something you said. if so, i am sorry

The teams with Championships: Patriots, Giants & Steelers are constantly retooling their roster. Dumping guys 1 year too early, struggling in the regular season but winning on the road in the playoffs.

The Ravens are trying to win a Title with a Game Manager, just like us. I acknowledge Big Ben was himself a manager early on in his career.
[ Edited by KEGster on Oct 30, 2012 at 4:39 PM ]

Wrong.

See the Smith situation is unique from a fans perspective. Ratto said it 30 minutes ago on KNBR. Certain fans are indeed invested in his failure, dismissing his accomplishments and only chiming in when he f**ks up. Whether they think so or not,they are invested in his failure.

Its a sad thing to be one of those fans.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

- No rush defense
- Poor tackling

would it kill you if you gave a little credit to us for all those things you say the cards did wrong? maybe we had something to do with thier poor play? is it that hard?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

- No rush defense
- Poor tackling

if you did not see a good game by us and a record setting game by alex last night,, then i really question your,,,,, ahh forget it. gobble gobble
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Wrong.

See the Smith situation is unique from a fans perspective. Ratto said it 30 minutes ago on KNBR. Certain fans are indeed invested in his failure, dismissing his accomplishments and only chiming in when he f**ks up. Whether they think so or not,they are invested in his failure.

Its a sad thing to be one of those fans.

Since when is Ratto the end all know all for the fans ?
Share 49ersWebzone