LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Was Ratto spot on about our fans?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Was Ratto spot on about our fans?

You know, I could have sworn that Ratto was once an anti-Smith guy, but I guess not now. More than the fans, there are still some in the media that continue to scoff at Smith no matter what. If he plays well he's a game manager, if he's lights out it's because the other team gave up and when he does have a bad day it's... Ya see, ya see, bla, bla, bla.

Smith is as Smith does so we'll see.
[ Edited by vermonator on Oct 30, 2012 at 2:49 PM ]
So this is the thread for supposedly "non-whining" fans to come in and whine about whiner/crybaby fans, lol ok.

I guess when there's nothing left to whine about let's whine about the fans.

Whiners gonna whine.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Our fan base is embarrassing. Seriously. I know fans who are knowledgeable, who appreciate the sport, and who actually UNDERSTAND what the 49ers did in the dynasty years, what they are doing today and the difference between the two.

But our fan base isn't primarily populated with know it all die hards who watch games a religiously as if they were attending mass, who know the difference between a three, five and seven step drop as it pertains to route combinations, timing, and expected outcome. Ours is not a fan base that know the difference between 2-man, cover 2, cover 3, cover 4 or cover 6 defense. Ours is primarily a fan base of bandwagon douchenozzles. It sucks, but it's true.

At a recent game, I had a fan booing Smith so loudly that I had to ask him to shut up. Dude was straight screaming when we were on offense (when our fans should be quiet), and jumping up and down screaming that Joe Montana was awesome...especially in that 1994 Super Bowl. It made me ashamed to be a fan.

The problem is that many of our fans who lived through the good times only remember the REALLY good times. They forget that after the '84 Super Bowl, we got OWNED in the playoffs until 1988. They forget that in our Super Bowl year of 1988, we were 10-6, and that our mighty offense could only score 3 points agains the freakin' Raiders. They forget the clamoring for Steve to replace Joe after we were knocked out of the playoffs in 1987. They forget that even though we were awesome, we didn't win every game of every season, and there were times that we won ugly.

The youngsters are worse, because they've been weaned on tall tales and never actually saw any of it. These people think that the dynasty years were like perpetual games of Madden on rookie.

When people b*tch about our team, even though we're winning, it embarrasses me. Having the opportunity to know fans of very successful teams from all over the country, our home crowd has embarrassed the hell out of me. Whether it be leaving early (sooooo bush league), starting fights, not understanding why they should shut up when we're on offense, booing their own players, whinin g incessantly about their QB, who has 20 wins in his last 25 games, or failing to completely understand the sport they profess to love, our fan base shows up poorly compared to the more storied franchises in the league. It hurts me to admit it, but it's true.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Some of our fans are clueless idiots, every team has them though.

Very true but not many teams have the history that we do. Any player can and will be judged against our own HOF players from years passed. Is it fair to judge Alex against Montana, I dont think so but some do. Even with all of Brady's accomplishments it wouldn't be enough for people because he still lost a few Superbowl's and would be looked at as a failure in the grand picture.

Football is not easy, the NFL is the hardest league to be good in.....we are a top 5 team. People need to learn that what we are doing is something that 27ish other teams would kill to have. Be happy that we are in a position to play for a Superbowl!!!
lets whine about the whiners!!! woooooooo lmao
Our fan base is embarrassing. Seriously. I know fans who are knowledgeable, who appreciate the sport, and who actually UNDERSTAND what the 49ers did in the dynasty years, what they are doing today and the difference between the two.

But our fan base isn't primarily populated with know it all die hards who watch games a religiously as if they were attending mass, who know the difference between a three, five and seven step drop as it pertains to route combinations, timing, and expected outcome. Ours is not a fan base that know the difference between 2-man, cover 2, cover 3, cover 4 or cover 6 defense. Ours is primarily a fan base of bandwagon douchenozzles. It sucks, but it's true.

At a recent game, I had a fan booing Smith so loudly that I had to ask him to shut up. Dude was straight screaming when we were on offense (when our fans should be quiet), and jumping up and down screaming that Joe Montana was awesome...especially in that 1994 Super Bowl. It made me ashamed to be a fan.

The problem is that many of our fans who lived through the good times only remember the REALLY good times. They forget that after the '84 Super Bowl, we got OWNED in the playoffs until 1988. They forget that in our Super Bowl year of 1988, we were 10-6, and that our mighty offense could only score 3 points agains the freakin' Raiders. They forget the clamoring for Steve to replace Joe after we were knocked out of the playoffs in 1987. They forget that even though we were awesome, we didn't win every game of every season, and there were times that we won ugly.

The youngsters are worse, because they've been weaned on tall tales and never actually saw any of it. These people think that the dynasty years were like perpetual games of Madden on rookie.

When people b*tch about our team, even though we're winning, it embarrasses me. Having the opportunity to know fans of very successful teams from all over the country, our home crowd has embarrassed the hell out of me. Whether it be leaving early (sooooo bush league), starting fights, not understanding why they should shut up when we're on offense, booing their own players, whinin g incessantly about their QB, who has 20 wins in his last 25 games, or failing to completely understand the sport they profess to love, our fan base shows up poorly compared to the more storied franchises in the league. It hurts me to admit it, but it's true.

I completely agree. Thank you so much for taking the time to write that so eloquently.

Its really strange and foreign to me that some fans professed that they cheer for the Niners but how can they really do it, if they are hoping for the QB to fail.
For what? To prove a point? Or to have the BACKUP QB play who can't even beat the starting QB?

I just don't get it.
When its a dropped pass - they say he can't pass and he can't convert first downs.
When other team have a good defensive play - its conviniently forgotten and point out that he didn't throw for 350
When he has no time to throw - its also his fault and starts clamoring for the other guy.

Throwing short - Hmmm I remember Joe and Steve doing that a lot... except back then we call them good completions because they were positive yards.

When Rodgers, Manning and Bress completes a short pass that turns into a TD.. everybody goes QB is great.
When Alex does it "the receiver is great".
When other teams have awful OC, its labled as "wow their OC sucks" here it becomes "wow our QB sucks"

Do I want him to be the second coming of Montana? of course.

If you want a cam newton then go change teams and watch Carolina.. There you can gorge in all of that wonderful QB stats (watch out, don't choke on those interception numbers)..

He only delivers wins. If thats not enough for you - then go watch soccer.

WHINERS perfect nickname for so called 49er fans that calls for benching at an incompleted pass.

Really not whners? Did you wish for the backup last night? Did you get this longing when you saw in the sidelines? GET A GRIP! We are winning!
Originally posted by vermonator:
You know, I could have sworn that Ratto was once an anti-Smith guy, but I guess not now. More than the fans, there are still some in the media that continue to scoff at Smith no matter what. If he plays well he's a game manager, if he's lights out it's because the other team gave up and when he does have a bad day it's... Ya see, ya see, bla, bla, bla.

He was.

He is just a Fat Contrarian whose only purpose is to say Left when all others are saying Right. That's his shtick.

He has never touched a ball other than a bowling ball (which he resembles) and he writes with an aloofness that shows that he thinks that Joe Blow fan is beneath him.

I took an elevator at candlestick with him one time and he was complaining about the press parking.

Enjoy him for being a muckraker but don't think for a minute that he cares.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

x 2... much respect for that post. ... I really pity and feel disgusted at some fans of today.
Originally posted by NCommand:
When NT first came onto the scene, I was very impressed with the quality of discussions. In fact, there were polls that voted for best "analyst" poster. Man, we used to break down things from every angle but not to bash players or d/t to personal agendas; it was more about team and noticing patterns/trends, etc. where we could get better at...sort of the current Harbaugh theme. If you aren't getting better...

... and WE CAN get back to this, I promise. Decisions.. cuts have to be made in order for the WZ to be awesome. I know it... you know it.. even they know it..

Just gotta do the right thing.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by vermonator:

He was.

He is just a Fat Contrarian whose only purpose is to say Left when all others are saying Right. That's his shtick.

He has never touched a ball other than a bowling ball (which he resembles) and he writes with an aloofness that shows that he thinks that Joe Blow fan is beneath him.

I took an elevator at candlestick with him one time and he was complaining about the press parking.

Enjoy him for being a muckraker but don't think for a minute that he cares.

good post wys. ratto is an idiot, and in a perfect world we should all get along here, but isnt this type of complaining about fans as divisive as it gets?

Honestly its football, you have beer guzzling, violence cheering passionate fans, doesn't that sound like you are going to get some idiots? Every fan base has them, everywhere. Check out some crazed soccer fans across the pond, NY fans calling for coughlin's head every other week, NE fans getting on Brady for every missed throw etc etc. But to me we have a great fan base, i think some of the dumb asses @ The Stick will be weeded out when we move to Santa Clara. there will also be a lot of good hard working folks priced out too, but i suspect the fighting and ridiculous name calling @ ppl wearing an Alex SMith jersey will be largely tempered.

I think most here are just the passionate variety that love the game for all its strategy, team dynamics, thrilling plays, and being the ultimate team sport with brilliant coaches trying to stay ahead of the curve. But IMO you can find fans who are less than stellar everywhere, i dont necessarily think it is bad that there are high expectations here, its a great thing to have such a storied past with HOFer's everywhere.

you said fans were clamoring back in '87 for young to be the starter...so apparently fans don't change.
Originally posted by jcashen87:
Honestly its football, you have beer guzzling, violence cheering passionate fans, doesn't that sound like you are going to get some idiots? Every fan base has them, everywhere.

The WZ can be better than this, though. It just takes some brutal decisions, and the WZ can be transformed into a peaceful, civil utopia filled with intelligent discussion. Enough of the ignorant, sarcastic, provoking one-liners that do nothing but spark division and hate.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by verb1der:
So this is the thread for supposedly "non-whining" fans to come in and whine about whiner/crybaby fans, lol ok.

Whiners gonna whine.

It's been a build up since Alex has been drafted. I think a lot of people feel that they have been right about many things the whole time. Being called Alexsexuals, Alexcuses, then constantly defending the guy, who is now a "legit" QB. I feel I have a right to tell these people that i'm sick of it. Time and time again, I've defended Alex against some really poor arguments. Time and time again my side has seemed to come true more often than not. We're 6-2. Enough of the fairy tale hypotheticals. Until the game is played, please do not say something cannot be done.

Again, I think a lot of us need to vent a little to show maybe we knew what we were saying this whole time. Being constantly told how wrong we were, when in a lot of way we have been correct. I've been saying this is what Alex Smith can do the whole time. I really have, I swear on my life. I have never said he was "great", I have never said he was "elite", I have said he is a viable part of this offense and that he can sometimes play "great" or "elite". Now I'm not saying if you disagree with me, your an idiot. I feel the other side had many valid points to be completely honest.

Honest opinion, it was the complete blindness, and the way people would go completely out of their way to blame EVERY thing on Alex. EVERYTHING... You look at a 10+ year Vet in Drew Brees and it shows how important a good HC is. Elite QB, now he's not even going to win as many games as Alex did in his SOPHMORE season most likely. Think about that. Alex was the worst QB in the league(according to some) taking a 2-14 team, to a 7-9 team after one season. Then 2-1 and his injury. I hear how bad Alex was every second from these people, but a 10 year vet, who has tons of weapons, has only won 2 games halfway through the season. Does a good coach have anything to do with that? I would say there's an 85% chance the answer is yes JIks, a Coach helps a QB. Look at Rodgers, Brees, Manning, and Brady. All have genius coaches. You can eve go back to the HOF'ers and look at their coaches. Singletary and Nolan were not good coaches...

So yeah crying about crying, but I think it's fair to say at this point. Enough is enough. Lets root for Alex instead of hate him even when he's right about Cam Newton. Let's not pick apart everything he will ever do. Lets have fun and hopefully get to the SB. There is no reason to diss the guy anymore. If he suddenly comes out and struggles and we lose a couple in a row? Ok. Have at it. But let it happen for once...

Edit: And in no way is this directed at you. I was just speaking my mind on the subject.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Oct 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Whiners gonna whine.

It's been a build up since Alex has been drafted. I think a lot of people feel that they have been right about many things the whole time. Being called Alexsexuals, Alexcuses, then constantly defending the guy, who is now a "legit" QB. I feel I have a right to tell these people that i'm sick of it. Time and time again, I've defended Alex against some really poor arguments. Time and time again my side has seemed to come true more often than not. We're 6-2. Enough of the fairy tale hypotheticals. Until the game is played, please do not say something cannot be done.

Again, I think a lot of us need to vent a little to show maybe we knew what we were saying this whole time. Being constantly told how wrong we were, when in a lot of way we have been correct. I've been saying this is what Alex Smith can do the whole time. I really have, I swear on my life. I have never said he was "great", I have never said he was "elite", I have said he is a viable part of this offense and that he can sometimes play "great" or "elite". Now I'm not saying if you disagree with me, your an idiot. I feel the other side had many valid points to be completely honest.

Honest opinion, it was the complete blindness, and the way people would go completely out of their way to blame EVERY thing on Alex. EVERYTHING... You look at a 10+ year Vet in Drew Brees and it shows how important a good HC is. Elite QB, now he's not even going to win as many games as Alex did in his SOPHMORE season most likely. Think about that. Alex was the worst QB in the league(according to some) taking a 2-14 team, to a 7-9 team after one season. Then 2-1 and his injury. I hear how bad Alex was every second from these people, but a 10 year vet, who has tons of weapons, has only won 2 games halfway through the season. Does a good coach have anything to do with that? I would say 85%.

So yeah crying about crying, but I think it's fair to say at this point. Enough is enough. Lets root for Alex instead of hate him even when he's right about Cam Newton. Let's not pick apart everything he will ever do. Lets have fun and hopefully get to the SB. There is no reason to diss the guy anymore. If he suddenly comes out and struggles and we lose a couple in a row? Ok. Have at it. But let it happen for once...

Ok geez! I agree with what you're saying Jiks. Personally, I like the fact that there's two (or three) sides to the Alex Smith drama, it makes for entertaining reading in WZ (whether stupid, or intellectual).

I just find quite funny that some folks are hoping for a fanbase to live in perfect harmony and sing kumbaya together just because we're winning.

It's part of the nature of sports people! Stop wasting your time writing emotional essays and judging an entire fanbase just to boost your own ego, it's not that serious.
[ Edited by verb1der on Oct 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM ]
  • Jiks
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Whiners gonna whine.

Honest opinion, it was the complete blindness, and the way people would go completely out of their way to blame EVERY thing on Alex. EVERYTHING... You look at a 10+ year Vet in Drew Brees and it shows how important a good HC is. Elite QB, now he's not even going to win as many games as Alex did in his SOPHMORE season most likely. Think about that. Alex was the worst QB in the league(according to some) taking a 2-14 team, to a 7-9 team after one season. Then 2-1 and his injury. I hear how bad Alex was every second from these people, but a 10 year vet, who has tons of weapons, has only won 2 games halfway through the season. Does a good coach have anything to do with that? I would say 85%.

Ok geez! I agree with what you're saying Jiks. Personally, I like the fact that there's two (or three) sides to the Alex Smith drama, it makes for entertaining reading in WZ (whether stupid, or intellectual).

I just find quite funny that some folks are hoping for a fanbase to live in perfect harmony and sing kumbaya together just because we're winning.

It's part of the nature of sports people! Stop wasting your time writing emotional essays and judging an entire fanbase just to boost your own ego, it's not that serious.

Ditto

And yeah I agree. But at the same time as I said I feel I have a right to at least express my opinion on the matter. It's not like I haven't been through many conversations with these people. I'm not going to constantly bash the people for their opinions, but I am here to let them know that I've been right all along. That may sound egocentric but even as you say. That's sports, it is. We are all know it all's, honest to god truth. But... some just know more about football and think a little more logically than others.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Oct 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone