There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 8: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

The overall concern many of us have is that the first two offensive drives of the game are HUGE to our success/failure. It's almost a cliffs' notes in advance most of the time.

Many other teams are not quite like that.

So if we face the Giants in the playoffs, those 1st two drives should most likely be:

Penalty free, with good run/pass mix and hopefully TD drives. We do that, and we are definitely in it till the end.

If not, we could be in a lot of trouble.

Anyone get the sense if Smith doesn't hit Crabs for that first TD, that the final score instead of 24-3 could very well be 16-10? The blowout with Buffalo could have been a game too if Willis didn't get the strip right before halftime after we fumbled it just a play or two before.

Seahawks game very easily could have been a comfortable win if Smith hit Kyle for a TD on the first drive. Very volatile confidence our offense has.

These things are concerns right now, perhaps easily forgotten in 8 weeks time. Hopefully.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Oct 31, 2012 at 10:38 AM ]
Good stuff ppl; only "concerns" I had are...
  • Still too many, predictable runs inside the RZ (esp. on 1st and 2nd down) leaving one shot at a pass in the EZ on 3rd down. Fortunately, Crabtree's catch was just inside that EZ and he and Moss made the most of their RAC for the other 2. I also noticed that we removed Moss from the RZ/EZ plays. I wonder why?
  • 4th and 1 and we kick a FG after dominating their DL? Understandable but...you play to win and our defense rules.
  • After plenty of time to prepare, only 2 catches for 34 yards for VD. You've got to get your best player involved early and often any way possible. It seemed like the "creativity" was once again, spent on the running game with 2-back sets, QB run-left, handoff right, odd counters that were all-or-nothing, etc. What ever happened to the seam route, roll right, pass back in the flat to a wide open VD (perfect chance blocking at the LOS against 4 DL), work on finding soft-zones, etc.
  • 1 screen pass again was it? Naturally, it was very successful with Hunter but as always, we didn't go back to it. The other was a WR screen pass to Manningham but Crabtree just stood there and Manningham got hammered; Note to Crabtree: that's how you seriously get a teammate hurt! But maybe this is why Roman doesn't call many WR screen passes.
  • Only 20 passing attempts when it was CLEAR their secondary absolutely blew chunks that game AND they were playing a 4-man DL to counter the run (they did a nice job countering our production on 1st downs and our YPC were down as well). And I'd say there was no way in hell they were going to score on our defense. No real in-game adjustments to attack the obvious weakness and counter what AZ was doing. This is my biggest Roman concern in the passing game.
  • Jacobs. I heard Gore was hurt and Hunter is stellar and we had the game in hand. Soooo?
  • Drive/momentum-killing penalties. Man, we don't have a ton but the ones we do have always seem to kill us and it seems like it's always in the first quarter when we are driving for a score.
  • Speed. I heard we have guys like Ginn, Manningham, Jenkins, VD, etc...maybe we could ACTUALLY use them on a reverse instead of fake-handing off to them?
  • 6-2...these are just concerns. 1.5 into 3 years of the WCO. Keeping building and being consistent!
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 1, 2012 at 9:08 AM ]
Well said and some good points you bring up ncommand...

Too many penalties and it usually kills a drive because we aren't really a team built to pick up 1st and 20 or 2nd and 15, etc. Agreed, we seem to heavy on the run in the red zone. Alex has done well in the red zone in his career; let him throw it a bit more. As for reverses we have done a bunch of them this season but that one where we did the dive to gore on the reverse served it's purpose. No need to over use them... i'm glad we have guys who can actually run them though and we aren't giving it to vd or walker (or battle back in the day) and losing 10 yards. Those are still risky and can kill a drive if you get hit in the backfield. Agree, need more screen passes. As for the block from crabtree at 1st i thought it was his fault, will have to go back and look but it looked like his guy read it and was coming up and running and was already inside before crabtree could move. It's not like crabtree could shift inside to get better blocking position before the play started. About to re-watch it now though so I could be wrong. edit: Yeah, Peterson definitely read the play, was coming up quick, crabs should still probably have got at least something on him. Last comment I was fine with the 4th and 1 because I felt it was a game we would get more points. Take their crowd out of it. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing Jacobs on the field (if he was active) picking that up. Hopefully sooner than later.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 31, 2012 at 6:13 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

• 4th and 1 and we kick a FG after dominating their DL? Understandable but...you play to win and our defense rule

Agreed with everything except for this one. I for one felt it more wise to take the clear two-score lead at that point. No biggie though. Would probably feel differently had we been at home instead.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

• 4th and 1 and we kick a FG after dominating their DL? Understandable but...you play to win and our defense rule

Agreed with everything except for this one. I for one felt it more wise to take the clear two-score lead at that point. No biggie though. Would probably feel differently had we been at home instead.

Agreed...on the road you always take the points.

Zona's stadium seems to be very loud at some points...that could be a factor in it. Let's not act like there are no DOG penalties anywhere else in the league.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Agreed...on the road you always take the points.

Zona's stadium seems to be very loud at some points...that could be a factor in it. Let's not act like there are no DOG penalties anywhere else in the league.

Yup yup...and thinking about it more, we do suck at short yardage; just felt at the time we had something rolling and momentum and that was a chance to keep it rolling, eat up some more clock and hopefully get 7 and bury the crowd up 14 early. While it was a bit conservative, I still understood that one...
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 1, 2012 at 9:06 AM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home