There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What should the team do regarding the lack of depth at OLB

What should the team do regarding the lack of depth at OLB

I'd love to see more blowouts this year to get the young guys more time on the field and rest the starters. That's one way they could help themselves. But the schedule doesn't look promising for blowouts!
OLB is one of our deepest positions. Lemoneir and Parrys hold that down exceptionaly well
Originally posted by NCommand:
LMAO! I'm heeerrrre!

On a serious note, I'm very stoked about how hard Haralson has played and love the emergence of both Lemonier and Skuta (OLB/ILB/ST). People seriously think we'd cut Brooks for only 5 and 6 million for an all-pro SAM? That's just nuts! Plus the dude has played every single snap for 2 straight years and through less-publicized injuries (ala Aldon) but produced when it mattered in the playoffs.

In an ideal world, I'd love Haralson to move to SAM and back up Brooks; rotate. That would give Brooks a breather with not a ton of drop off. Then you move Lemonier to back up Aldon at the WILL (similar skill sets). Either way, both backups in Lemonier and Haralson will be rotating between both SAM and WILL and that alone should help both Brooks/Aldon's play AND production throughout the year and esp. into the playoffs.

Lets see how both Brooks and Aldon do this year with fresh legs and the security of being able to go balls-out b/c they know they FINALLY have some quality depth behind them. Plus, like Aldon at the start of last year, with his off season troubles, Brooks too may have a little extra something to prove!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I'd love to see more blowouts this year to get the young guys more time on the field and rest the starters. That's one way they could help themselves. But the schedule doesn't look promising for blowouts!

There are some games where it is possible
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Am I the only one that finds it interesting that two of the OLBs on the team were converted from ILB? Brooks is a very good starting OLB and Skuta looks like a pretty good reserve. That gives the team some flexibility, IMO.

Since Willis has a hand injury, maybe they rotate him out in nickle defense and move Brooks inside and put Lemonier or Carradine (When healthy.) at OLB/DE. Zone blitz, FTW!
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Am I the only one that finds it interesting that two of the OLBs on the team were converted from ILB? Brooks is a very good starting OLB and Skuta looks like a pretty good reserve. That gives the team some flexibility, IMO.

Since Willis has a hand injury, maybe they rotate him out in nickle defense and move Brooks inside and put Lemonier or Carradine (When healthy.) at OLB/DE. Zone blitz, FTW!

Good points, but they didn't try to use Brooks in the middle when Willis was hurt before so I doubt they make him the back up. Of course, they didn't have Lemonier before.
Well it's look like we should be ok. With haralason back and adding Johnson from the practice squad and the addition of lemoniar to back smith and brooks I think we should be ok. The lb core is starting to look scary again. And if I mean if we had spikes to the mix. We really need to worry bout a bunch of teams running on us they would be lucky to to get 50 for the game. Our d line is set but needs a little tweaking. Due to the addition of okoye dial carradine and dorsey
Haralson looks hungry. Having him back in rotation helps alot
Originally posted by lamontb:

No doubt. No reason he can't go in on 1st and 2nd downs a few series a game just to keep Aldon fresh. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing an almost 3 outside LB rotation between our starters and Haralson. As much as 96 has impressed me, I'm not sure I would trust subbing him just yet. Also, as good as he's looked, it still is preseason and Brooks is actually a pretty good pass rushers, he's just competing with Aldon and Justin to get to the qb....
Originally posted by lamontb:

Did you notice that he was so so in the first half against Denver? Then, after watching Lemonier light it up during his shift, he came out in the second half and collapsed the pocket, took down Ortweiller, and generally looked like a force.

He's been on a roll ever since. Harbaugh is right -- competition is the way to go.