There are 158 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Florio's latest anti-49er idiocy

Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
stupid me

You can't say we haven't tried to tell you!
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
They are better. They are also horribly inconsistent. You can't pick and choose what statistics you want to use to measure the progress of the offense. Even if you want to use the passing yardage, third down percentage conversion, etc, you also can say that both Kendall Hunter and Frank Gore are having a better year, the offensive line is much improved, we have wideouts that can make some big plays, and have shown the ability to truly pour it on teams offensively (see the Bills and Jets games). It's happened twice in 7 games this year. We did it once in 18 games last year. A more balanced critique would be pointing out the lack of consistency in the offense, leaving points on the field, and trying to do too much to outsmart defenses. Change one or two things with this offense and it should realistically be a top 5 offense in points and yardage.

Pretty much this. The offense is better, but horribly inconsistent. O-Line is much improved. We have the most dominant rushing attack in the NFL. Wideouts are making more plays than last year. Through the first 5 weeks our offense looked much improved.

Unfortunately, the last 2 games are fresh in everyone's minds and they were both nationally televised games. That's why we're taking a ton of s**t from the media. In just 2 weeks, Alex went from "having his best year" and being "a legit pro-bowl candidate", to having "regressed from last year". Typical knee-jerk reaction from the media. 2 games does not provide enough information to jump to any conclusions. If you look at our 7 games as a whole, we are much improved IMO.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Pretty much this. The offense is better, but horribly inconsistent. O-Line is much improved. We have the most dominant rushing attack in the NFL. Wideouts are making more plays than last year. Through the first 5 weeks our offense looked much improved.

Unfortunately, the last 2 games are fresh in everyone's minds and they were both nationally televised games. That's why we're taking a ton of s**t from the media. In just 2 weeks, Alex went from "having his best year" and being "a legit pro-bowl candidate", to having "regressed from last year". Typical knee-jerk reaction from the media. 2 games does not provide enough information to jump to any conclusions. If you look at our 7 games as a whole, we are much improved IMO.

Perfect analysis right there.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Pretty much this. The offense is better, but horribly inconsistent. O-Line is much improved. We have the most dominant rushing attack in the NFL. Wideouts are making more plays than last year. Through the first 5 weeks our offense looked much improved.

Unfortunately, the last 2 games are fresh in everyone's minds and they were both nationally televised games. That's why we're taking a ton of s**t from the media. In just 2 weeks, Alex went from "having his best year" and being "a legit pro-bowl candidate", to having "regressed from last year". Typical knee-jerk reaction from the media. 2 games does not provide enough information to jump to any conclusions. If you look at our 7 games as a whole, we are much improved IMO.

Perfect analysis right there.

We are still good against bad teams, and bad against good teams
Will come back to this thread in January
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Alex holds us back.

but we have new weapons
For as much as we've improved in the running game, I feel like our passing attack has regressed. However, last year we really didn't have a dynamic offense either, we just got a lot of chances and really good field position.

So in the middle of my post I've changed my conclusion. We are better, but only because we have a very nasty and dominant run game. Even better than last year.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,011
To me, the game vs. Detroit was the best example of the type of team we have. Still a punishing defense (with improved play from Dashon Goldson who PERHAPS was the weakest link on our D (some say Whitner now, lol...). Our offense can run with the best of them...no matter the front 7 (hello Seattle), and our QB has stepped up his ability to pre-read a defense and has put us in much more manageable scenarios. I haven't looked at the stats but I'm willing to bet that despite our poor 3rd down conversion %, I think our 3rd downs in general this year have been a bit more difficult to convert. This is probably because we aren't doing as good a job on 2nd down (false starts/holding penalties/inconsistent play-calling) but when we've had the chance to convert, say a 3rd & medium, we've done a better job than last year from my vantage point.... As the season progresses, I expect Greg Roman and the staff to be able to deteremine exactly what they can/cannot do with these new weapons and get into a great rhythm heading into the final stretch of the season. I say we finish Top 5 on D, Top 15 on O....that to me is a vast improvement over 2011......

The other problem I have is too much talk spent on last season. 2012 is halfway over and it seems nobody wants to let go of last year. All this comparing can cause folks to not enjoy this Superbowl season....
[ Edited by SaksV on Oct 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
The OLine is WAYYYYYYYY better.

I feel that they are holding plays and schemes back.


Giants game?
It absolutely amazes me that if any writer puts out an article/tweet that has negative things to say specifically about the offense or a specific someone's play, people immediately dismiss the article and starts trashing the writer. Every single time. Its like clockwork.

Its like you guys have forgotten what a good offense is. Its sad.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
It absolutely amazes me that if any writer puts out an article/tweet that has negative things to say specifically about the offense or a specific someone's play, people immediately dismiss the article and starts trashing the writer. Every single time. Its like clockwork.

Its like you guys have forgotten what a good offense is. Its sad.

It's amazing how often you are amazed! A writer who obviously has not followed the team closely makes a knee jerk comment and fans of the team should just sit back and say..."Well, he is a professional sports journalist so it must be true." Unless he says Smith is amazingly good...then you will be amazed at how bad he is as a football analyst!
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
In Mike Florio's latest column, the biased anti-49er yellow journalist says, "The 49ers' offense doesn't seem to be much better (than last year)".

As Bugs Bunny would say, What a Maroon! Anyone who suggests the 49ers offense is no better than it was last year is either not paying attention or is incapable of writing anything positive about this Super Bowl-bound team. The 2011 49ers never has a two-game streak in which they outscored their opponents 79-3.

Florio should get a job bussing tables at a McDonald's. He would probably do that job better than the job of a sports writer.

This is a very biased and misleading post. If you read his article he compliments the 49ers defense and states that they are likely to go to the Super Bowl. So idk where you think he hates the Niners
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Alex holds us back.

but we have new weapons

we have to be patient and give him a couple more years in this system and more time to develop chemistry with his wrs
Thank you based Gore. Besides the bills game I haven't been overly impressed with the O.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Thank you based Gore. Besides the bills game I haven't been overly impressed with the O.

Other than the NYJ and Seattle game, I haven't been impressed with our D. ST have been less than inspiring this year. Thank heavens the offense is so much better.