LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 133 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS ST LOUIS RAMS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 9)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The 2 fake punts added to our defensive woes. Those are 2 stops from our defense. Without those our defense would seemed decent especially in the second half. This was more on the special team more than anything else. They just weren't prepared for what the Rams will do especially knowing they will trying anything to win in this game. Seely got owned.
The first one wasn't a designed fake punt, it was a great adjustment and pick up by the punter and the gunner, they only did it because Seely had a brain fart, only one blocker on their gunner and they use him to blitz without sliding the other guy over faster? As soon as I saw that, I said Nooooo, what are you doing? Sure enough the rams pick it up and took advantage. I think they were going for the block cause of the time left on the clock. Pretty sure if the refs didn't gaffe and put the 1:12 back on the clock like they were supposed to then Seely wouldn't have taken that chance, still though, he shouldn't taken that chance. The second half, was not the ST, was all D, in the rams two scores, they ate up alot of clock time. The rams had the ball about 20:18 to our 9:42 (just an estimate) in the 2nd Half.
Originally posted by baltien:
1) Our defense has regressed. Teams are ripping off chunks of yardage AT WILL and we don't seem to have any answers. This has been a problem all season and if you check the game logs, the defense only looks good against weaklings (Jets, Bills, Cardinals, etc).

2) Special teams, another major strength from last year seems to have regressed. The coverage unit looks good, but the return unit leaves much to be desired. Ginn looks slow and indecisive. At this point, I'd rather see Kyle Williams returning kicks (I said it). Akers was automatic last year, now he's becoming a liability. No reason he should miss so many easy FG's.

3) I like Kaep. Really. I think he has all the potential in the world, and believe that he can be the long term answer for us at QB. But he is not ready to start right now and that is not something ONE week of reps with the starters will fix. I know some of you don't want to hear it (let alone admit it), but Smith is the better QB at this point and should remain the starter so long as he is healthy.

Agreed! Especially number 3. I like Kaep, but Alex's "safe" style likely gives us the best chance to win right now.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Agreed! Especially number 3. I like Kaep, but Alex's "safe" style likely gives us the best chance to win right now.

i dont get people criticisizing his style of play

bill walsh had montana play in a similar style

i see tom brady playing in that style for most of his career as well

not to mention its working he averages 3rd most yards every time he throws the ball

on othe rpoints ST play im not worrried about akers will bounce back

defense i think this game was definitally out of norm we have to wait till next week for me to be officially worried about it but as of now i am not
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Here is the thing though, Yes Smith is the better person right now, but you don't get better by just sitting and just practice. Montana, Young they all got reps before they played full time, then at some point you have to make a decision to take a chance. It is like anything else, do you play conservative and miss on a future superstar. Do you take a chance and regress. In the end we all don't see the gaffes, but we marvel at the heroics, not realizing the magnitude of the chance that had to be taken, like a Brady for a Bledsoe or a Rodgers for a Farve. In each case, in there first year they didn't exactly come on like gangbusters. Let's just leave it to JH and TB.

Im not willing to regress nad lose our superbowl chances when we have a stacked roster. once some guys get traded or whatnot then sure lets test Kaep, but not mid season on a team thats making a superbowl run.
1) Our defense has regressed. Teams are ripping off chunks of yardage AT WILL and we don't seem to have any answers. This has been a problem all season and if you check the game logs, the defense only looks good against weaklings (Jets, Bills, Cardinals, etc).

2) Special teams, another major strength from last year seems to have regressed. The coverage unit looks good, but the return unit leaves much to be desired. Ginn looks slow and indecisive. At this point, I'd rather see Kyle Williams returning kicks (I said it). Akers was automatic last year, now he's becoming a liability. No reason he should miss so many easy FG's.

3) I like Kaep. Really. I think he has all the potential in the world, and believe that he can be the long term answer for us at QB. But he is not ready to start right now and that is not something ONE week of reps with the starters will fix. I know some of you don't want to hear it (let alone admit it), but Smith is the better QB at this point and should remain the starter so long as he is healthy.

Here is the thing though, Yes Smith is the better person right now, but you don't get better by just sitting and just practice. Montana, Young they all got reps before they played full time, then at some point you have to make a decision to take a chance. It is like anything else, do you play conservative and miss on a future superstar. Do you take a chance and regress. In the end we all don't see the gaffes, but we marvel at the heroics, not realizing the magnitude of the chance that had to be taken, like a Brady for a Bledsoe or a Rodgers for a Farve. In each case, in there first year they didn't exactly come on like gangbusters. Let's just leave it to JH and TB.

But why take that chance when you are leading the division, en route to the playoffs? It's not like we're losing and need a spark. Now, if we were 3-6, I'd understand where you're coming from. Secondly, we're not really missing out on anything because both players are under contract for at least the next two years. Suffice to say, Kaep's future as a 49er will be sorted out well before he hits free agency.

And fyi, the examples you gave don't really fit. Young got the start because Montana was hurt and out for the season (and most of the following season if memory serves). Brady came in because Drew Bledsoe got seriously hurt early in the season as well. Rodgers, because Favre was clearly over the hill and couldn't make up his mind about whether or not he was going to retire. None of these situations came about from the coach randomly deciding to bench the winning quarterback.

Why? Because that'd be absurd.
[ Edited by baltien on Nov 11, 2012 at 10:22 PM ]
Originally posted by THEB:
Im not willing to regress nad lose our superbowl chances when we have a stacked roster. once some guys get traded or whatnot then sure lets test Kaep, but not mid season on a team thats making a superbowl run.
Not saying this year, maybe not even next, but if AS has hit his ceiling, I am willing to take the chance next year or the year after and not when the roster is half empty.

But why take that chance when you are leading the division, en route to the playoffs? It's not like we're losing and need a spark. Now, if we were 3-6, I'd understand where you're coming from. Secondly, we're not really missing out on anything because both players are under contract for at least the next two years. Suffice to say, Kaep's future as a 49er will be sorted out well before he hits free agency.

And fyi, the examples you gave don't really fit. Young got the start because Montana was hurt and out for the season (and most of the following season if memory serves). Brady came in because Drew Bledsoe got seriously hurt early in the season as well. Rodgers, because Favre was clearly over the hill and couldn't make up his mind about whether or not he was going to retire. None of these situations came about from the coach randomly deciding to bench the winning quarterback.

I am not saying to replace AS right now, what I am saying is that at some point you need to make a decsion, AS has done a good job and we may be able to win the SB with him , maybe not. However, you need to give the QB playing time when you can, they are not going to get better sitting and no real time. The examples that I gave do fit into the argument I made, because at the time, no one knew what Brady or Rodgers had or could really do. Bledsoe still could play and so could Farve, even if he was old and and couldn't decide. AS is the safe choice right now, but I am thinking of the future and I am willing to take the chance in a year or two, but I want CK to get some serious reps, simply because as I said before and which has been proven true, AS is one good hit away...it has happened before and it will happen again cause when the line fails, he hangs in there and takes the hit in the pocket instead of throwing it away. When he does run he doesn't get out of bounds or slides feet first. Needs to throw on the run more and not try to stop and setup when being flushed and chased.
[ Edited by WildBill on Nov 11, 2012 at 11:01 PM ]
Originally posted by THEB:

I am not saying to replace AS right now, what I am saying is that at some point you need to make a decsion, AS has done a good job and we may be able to win the SB with him , maybe not. However, you need to give the QB playing time when you can, they are not going to get better sitting and no real time. The examples that I gave do fit into the argument I made, because at the time, no one knew what Brady or Rodgers had or could really do. Bledsoe still could play and so could Farve, even if he was old and and couldn't decide. AS is the safe choice right now, but I am thinking of the future and I am willing to take the chance in a year or two, but I want CK to get some serious reps, simply because as I said before and which has been proven true, AS is one good hit away...it has happened before and it will happen again cause when the line fails, he hangs in there and takes the hit in the pocket instead of throwing it away. When he does run he doesn't get out of bounds or slides feet first. Needs to throw on the run more and not try to stop and setup when being flushed and chased.

Kap got sacked bad today as well...is the clock on his health ticking as well?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
this team is fkn schizophrenic.
I enjoyed every bit of Kaep's snaps yesterday. Finally, I was able to watch most of a game without shouting out in frustration about f'ing Alex Smith who by his own hand has game managed himself out of the game and let Kaep creep even closer to the starting position. Although Kaep isnt there yet, its time to allow him to get there. Alex was never going to beat the Rams and that would have been unacceptable, pretty pathetic actually. Damon Bruce said two days ago THIS (9er organization, conservative style, Alex Smith led offense) is the team you want to have as a fan and I cldnt disagree more. I like Damon, but now I see he lacks the foresight of many 9er fans who don't just wana see victories against the pansies of the league. READ MY LIPS, "We will never beat the Ravens, Falcons, Texans, Giants, or even Peyton, and maybe throw-in Andrew Luck" with that conservative style Alex Smith led crap. We may not beat them with Kaep either (at least not right away) but at least it will be bareable to watch. I can't stand watching the same QB after so many years make the same mistakes: not sliding to avoid injury, not throwing the ball away because in his mind its better to take a sack than to force a ball (aren't you supposed to force the ball when you throw it out of bounds?) scrambling in the pocket like a headless chicken, completely losing his confidence when faced with elite defenses, smiling everytime he screws up like what he just screwed up is no big deal. What I hate most of all is the polarity Smith brings to 9er fandom and fandumb. The day we can all agree on whether we have the right QB is the day I look forward to the most. We didn't have those doubts with Montana and Young and things were pretty well then.
[ Edited by LionHeartofGold on Nov 12, 2012 at 12:55 AM ]
hey so...with a tie we have a little piece of history, right...it's rare...

Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
I enjoyed every bit of Kaep's snaps yesterday. Finally, I was able to watch most of a game without shouting out in frustration about f'ing Alex Smith who by his own hand has game managed himself out of the game and let Kaep creep even closer to the starting position. Although Kaep isnt there yet, its time to allow him to get there. Alex was never going to beat the Rams and that would have been unacceptable, pretty pathetic actually. Damon Bruce said two days ago THIS (9er organization, conservative style, Alex Smith led offense) is the team you want to have as a fan and I cldnt disagree more. I like Damon, but now I see he lacks the foresight of many 9er fans who don't just wana see victories against the pansies of the league. READ MY LIPS, "We will never beat the Ravens, Falcons, Texans, Giants, or even Peyton, and maybe throw-in Andrew Luck" with that conservative style Alex Smith led crap. We may not beat them with Kaep either (at least not right away) but at least it will be bareable to watch. I can't stand watching the same QB after so many years make the same mistakes: not sliding to avoid injury, not throwing the ball away because in his mind its better to take a sack than to force a ball (aren't you supposed to force the ball when you throw it out of bounds?) scrambling in the pocket like a headless chicken, completely losing his confidence when faced with elite defenses, smiling everytime he screws up like what he just screwed up is no big deal. What I hate most of all is the polarity Smith brings to 9er fandom and fandumb. The day we can all agree on whether we have the right QB is the day I look forward to the most. We didn't have those doubts with Montana and Young and things were pretty well then.

Well, posts like this are not helping to heal the polarity. And as I said in the CK thread where you posted exactly the same thing, actually we had PRECISELY those doubts about Steve Young. Until he finally won the Super Bowl and even, occasionally, nowadays in the Webzone.
Heck of a game today guys. Ever since we were surprised/embarassed by the Lambs in St. Louie last month I was wondering in the back of my mind if they weren't going to end up being the "spoiler" team in our division. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Jeff Fisher and I am beyond worried that he is the smartest coach in our division and will end up capitalizing on the orgy of draft picks they have from Washington.
None of the East Coast "experts" will admit that St. Louis is genuinely good and a tie at home is far from dishonorable, even for the mighty 49ers. But don't fret guys, the Lambs are good (as you more than know right now) and their rise only serves to remind us that the NFC West is going to be a damn Bar Fight to the very end for the title for YEARS to come.
Sorry about Smith, hope he comes our alright this week.
NH
Originally posted by NavyHawk:
Heck of a game today guys. Ever since we were surprised/embarassed by the Lambs in St. Louie last month I was wondering in the back of my mind if they weren't going to end up being the "spoiler" team in our division. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Jeff Fisher and I am beyond worried that he is the smartest coach in our division and will end up capitalizing on the orgy of draft picks they have from Washington.
None of the East Coast "experts" will admit that St. Louis is genuinely good and a tie at home is far from dishonorable, even for the mighty 49ers. But don't fret guys, the Lambs are good (as you more than know right now) and their rise only serves to remind us that the NFC West is going to be a damn Bar Fight to the very end for the title for YEARS to come.
Sorry about Smith, hope he comes our alright this week.
NH
Jim Harbaugh brother lol. ya the rams are gonna be legit when they get some receivers out of those redskins picks they got. should be interesting in the west from here on out
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:

Well, posts like this are not helping to heal the polarity. And as I said in the CK thread where you posted exactly the same thing, actually we had PRECISELY those doubts about Steve Young. Until he finally won the Super Bowl and even, occasionally, nowadays in the Webzone.

What if the zone existed back in the Montana/Young days? I bet you wouldn't be singing that tune. There are people like you in every era (internet or not) who are never happy. I promise you there were people who hated Young for many years after he replaced Montana until he won A superbowl.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Somebody lock this sucker down. Time to move on.
Share 49ersWebzone