There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS ST LOUIS RAMS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 9)

Originally posted by greywolf447:
Can someone PLEASE post the game on youtube?

Do yourself a favor and don't watch the game. It's full of disappointment and frustration.
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by greywolf447:
Can someone PLEASE post the game on youtube?

Do yourself a favor and don't watch the game. It's full of disappointment and frustration.

Kaep played pretty decent for his first extended competitive situation.
The point is that Alex always has a high rating and QBR, but who cares? It means nothing. People act like he's an elite QB in the league. That's a huge misconception. He's a conservative QB and those measures favor the conservative guy.

Fans need to get over Alex. He's developed into a good QB, but he'll never be special or dominate. Our backup played very well and some Alex supporters are trying to blame him for this game.

Does the QBR account for 60+ rushing yards and a rushing TD? Just saying, it bothers me when people start throwing out blanket numbers.

So when he had a low QBR two years ago it counted against him but now...

His QBR was based on leading a scoring drive and completing almost all h is passes for a very good yard average. If he had stayed in the game...

Don't blame Smith because you disagree with some posters. We still don't know where his ceiling is as he has played almost perfectly this year and then variously less that perfect. So I am still waiting for a Super Bowl where the great ones tend to play with poise and the lessers wilt.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM ]
Does anyone know where I can watch the game? Would they post it here or some where else?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The point is that Alex always has a high rating and QBR, but who cares? It means nothing. People act like he's an elite QB in the league. That's a huge misconception. He's a conservative QB and those measures favor the conservative guy.

Fans need to get over Alex. He's developed into a good QB, but he'll never be special or dominate. Our backup played very well and some Alex supporters are trying to blame him for this game.

Does the QBR account for 60+ rushing yards and a rushing TD? Just saying, it bothers me when people start throwing out blanket numbers.

So when he had a low QBR two years ago it counted against him but now...

His QBR was based on leading a scoring drive and completing almost all h is passes for a very good yard average. If he had stayed in the game...

Don't blame Smith because you disagree with some posters. We still don't know where his ceiling is as he has played almost perfectly this year and then variously less that perfect. So I am still waiting for a Super Bowl where the great ones tend to play with poise and the lessers wilt.

You've never seen me post negatively about Smith's QBR or rating. Maybe I joked about his rating during his pathetic years, but I don't ever judge QBs by that junk.

Plus, I'm defending the offense. That includes the QBs. Chill with your Smith love. I'm not blaming him for anything.
You've never seen me post negatively about Smith's QBR or rating. Maybe I joked about his rating during his pathetic years, but I don't ever judge QBs by that junk.

Plus, I'm defending the offense. That includes the QBs. Chill with your Smith love. I'm not blaming him for anything.

I'm being defensive...sorry! It killed me to see Smith be injured when he is having such a good year. As for Smith love...appreciation? Yes. Love? Only family and close friends. You seemed more negative lately and I took your posts as unwarranted criticism. I accept your word that you are not.
Kaepernick vs Campbell??

I bet Alex and Cutler get cleared to play. Cutler did take a huge shot to the jaw. He stayed in for a while after that too and kept scrambling... Tough dude

hopefully Campbell plays, he's horrible
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I'm being defensive...sorry! It killed me to see Smith be injured when he is having such a good year. As for Smith love...appreciation? Yes. Love? Only family and close friends. You seemed more negative lately and I took your posts as unwarranted criticism. I accept your word that you are not.

Yeah, I've been a little sour in this thread. Too much blame when the defense and ST are the ones that really struggled. The offense played well. We left some opportunities out there, but we always do. We'll rebound, regardless who the QB is. Harbaugh knows how to prepare his QBs and limit their mistakes. That's what I expect moving forward.

I'm done with this one. Have a good night.
[ Edited by strickac on Nov 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM ]
Just came back from the game.

Some impressions of the game from my vantage point.

First of all 99% of the niner fans represented by not leaving until the finaly tackle

OL and DL - We were getting manhandled out there. You can see it happening right at the snap of the ball. It looks like the niners were standing in mud.

Especially the OLine.

CK - Crowd excited when he came in then when people found out that it was going to be more than 1 play and alex could be out, everybody had the same reaction --- oh nooooo.. CK played as expected. This was a game we needed our defense and special teams to win it for us. (we all know what the special teams did. In case they didnt show it on TV there were no running lanes being created in the return game)

For somebody who has a strong arm CK surely was reluctant to cut it loose.

Receivers: Now this one you can see clearly in the stadium. NOBODY was getting open, which is really shameful because they were up against the Rams secondary. A couple of times the receivers did not help CK. They need to come back to him and make themselves a target. He is not going to throw it 50 yards especially when he is in trouble. Come back 20 yards and find empty space.

Defense - you can clearly see Rams getting open or see what they are about to do. Niners couldn't tackle a few times. Also the played passively on occassion. Especially on that play Jackson lost his helmet. That happen in front of me and you just knew it was going to happen since the defenders where flat footed and Jackson had momemtum.

Again, It was so freaking loud up to the final play - good job niner fans.

To Niner season ticket holders - please try to sell (maybe even take less money) to Niner fans. There were a few Rams fans around us. Also in another section 2 friends - one Raider fan and the other a Rams fan - really, somebody sold their ticket to a Raider and Rams fan?
Yeah, I've been a little sour in this thread. Too much blame when the defense and ST are the ones that really struggled. The offense played well. We left some opportunities out there, but we always do. We'll rebound, regardless who the QB is. Harbaugh knows how to prepare his QBs and limit their mistakes. That's what I expect moving forward.

I'm done with this one. Have a good night.

You as well!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:
hopefully Campbell plays, he's horrible

He is not a horrible QB. Not saying he is great but not horrible
cambell is solid they would have the qb advantage of kaep plays

it was really a wonder to me why raiders chose palmer over him if i remember they had a winning record with cambell
1) Our defense has regressed. Teams are ripping off chunks of yardage AT WILL and we don't seem to have any answers. This has been a problem all season and if you check the game logs, the defense only looks good against weaklings (Jets, Bills, Cardinals, etc).

2) Special teams, another major strength from last year seems to have regressed. The coverage unit looks good, but the return unit leaves much to be desired. Ginn looks slow and indecisive. At this point, I'd rather see Kyle Williams returning kicks (I said it). Akers was automatic last year, now he's becoming a liability. No reason he should miss so many easy FG's.

3) I like Kaep. Really. I think he has all the potential in the world, and believe that he can be the long term answer for us at QB. But he is not ready to start right now and that is not something ONE week of reps with the starters will fix. I know some of you don't want to hear it (let alone admit it), but Smith is the better QB at this point and should remain the starter so long as he is healthy.
[ Edited by baltien on Nov 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM ]
Kaep started off shakey, but that is to be expected when it was his first extended playing time and he was thrust in there with minimum reps with the first team prior to the game. Not to mention a game plan not built around him. In the second after the first series he settled down going 9-10 in the the three scoring drives with his legs extended any a drive that would have ended in sacks.

Could AS done better if he had not gotten hurt, I doubt it and here is why.
1) The refs let 1:12 run off the clock. Because of that, Seely took a stupid chance and blitzed the gunner. I thought- Noooooooo! What are you doing. Sure enough the rams saw it and altered the play and threw for a first down. It was not a trick play to begin with, just a disciplined reaction to our play. Had that not happened, we might not have blitzed the gunner and had ample time for a FG or maybe a TD by Kaep.
2) That wasn't the only miscue on ST, another punt which was indeed a trick play caught the niners with their pants down. Plus we were lucky on the ST runback by the rams due to a penalty. Yes, they did get the ball back for a quick score, but that was it. Then there is Ginn on Kickoff, I don't know why he is back there, punts okay, but even that, since he has come back he hasn't much. On K.O., Kyle has done better this year. Of course there is Ackers, he missed what is normally a chip shot for him last year.
3) Defense, The Rams scored four less points in the second half but the niners couldn't get them off the field. In fact by my estimate, the time of possession was about 20:18 to 9:42 i favor of the Rams.
4) The line, half the time didn't hold up, if it weren't for Kaeps legs, some of those drives who knows what might have happened and if AS were in there, he would have taken the hits/sacks. In the second half Kaep did stay in the pocket and made the throw even when he got hit. In the Gore TD run, Gore could get to the outside not only because of good blocking, but the Rams decided to be disciplined against Kaep keeping it and running it the other way, watch it again, they didn't over pursue and it cost them that time.
5) Coaching-As has been the case from time to time, Roman's play calling was suspect, they got real conservative in OT, yeah I understand why they ran the ball, to protect it, but they used such a bland package, it was so obvious. I thought they should done some read option at least once or twice and giving Kaep the option to throw it to the FB miller or throw it to Moss or Manningham if the run portion was not there. It wasn't like they needed to run out the clock. After all, you score a TD game over. The other side doesn't get a chance. A FG, then the other side gets a chance to score a FG to tie or TD to win.
Originally posted by baltien:
1) Our defense has regressed. Teams are ripping off chunks of yardage AT WILL and we don't seem to have any answers. This has been a problem all season and if you check the game logs, the defense only looks good against weaklings (Jets, Bills, Cardinals, etc).

2) Special teams, another major strength from last year seems to have regressed. The coverage unit looks good, but the return unit leaves much to be desired. Ginn looks slow and indecisive. At this point, I'd rather see Kyle Williams returning kicks (I said it). Akers was automatic last year, now he's becoming a liability. No reason he should miss so many easy FG's.

3) I like Kaep. Really. I think he has all the potential in the world, and believe that he can be the long term answer for us at QB. But he is not ready to start right now and that is not something ONE week of reps with the starters will fix. I know some of you don't want to hear it (let alone admit it), but Smith is the better QB at this point and should remain the starter so long as he is healthy.

Here is the thing though, Yes Smith is the better person right now, but you don't get better by just sitting and just practice. Montana, Young they all got reps before they played full time, then at some point you have to make a decision to take a chance. It is like anything else, do you play conservative and miss on a future superstar. Do you take a chance and regress. In the end we all don't see the gaffes, but we marvel at the heroics, not realizing the magnitude of the chance that had to be taken, like a Brady for a Bledsoe or a Rodgers for a Farve. In each case, in there first year they didn't exactly come on like gangbusters. Let's just leave it to JH and TB.