LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

Just wondering. Growing up a Niner fan during the dynasty, and knowing quite well what Eddie D expected out of his players and this team in terms of success, do you think Alex Smith would still be on this team as starting quarterback ?

And if not, what year do you think he would have gotten the axe ?

For what its worth, Eddie D had a very short leash when it came to accepting failure. The ones that were there to witness the dynasty were familiar with how his thought process worked, and for those that became fans in the 00s, NFL Network did a great special on him this past week.

How long do you think Eddie would tolerate Alex before giving up on him ?
Sadly, no... He would have been gone after three years, IMO.

We wouldn't have had the number one pick to begin with. A lot of things would have been different.
Originally posted by kidash98:
Sadly, no... He would have been gone after three years, IMO.

Yeah, I think Eddie would have given him one year after Norv left, then the boot.

On a side note, you gotta admit....the passion by which Eddie D. ran this organization was unprecedented at the time. Watching that special brought tears to my eyes. Everyone likes to make quips about fans being "armchair coaches", etc. but Eddie D. made decisions based on what a lot of people were thinking. He got rid of Seifert when he couldnt beat GB....he got rid of Montana when he felt the guy couldnt get back from injury...he would go out and put together a SB roster when we were seriously trying to make a run. Yeah sure....all of that put us in salary cap hell, but I loved his fire and emotion for the game.

No way we go 10 years without a playoff game in the 00s if he was around.
No. Thats because we never would have been in a position to draft Alex Smith if Eddie D remained owner
Would probably pressured the coaches to get someone else --- maybe like Kolb, Flynn, or P. Manning.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Would probably pressured the coaches to get someone else --- maybe like Kolb, Flynn, or P. Manning.

I disagree. Eddie D was never satified with guys like Kolb or Flynn. He liked guys with track records. Manning for sure; maybe someone like Vick.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:
We wouldn't have had the number one pick to begin with. A lot of things would have been different.

Exactly. Most of the failures on the team in the 2000's happened specifically because of terrible management structure and decisions of Denise and John York. We would still probably be in the dark ages for the foreseeable future if not for Jed taking over more control of the team.
[ Edited by Disp on Oct 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM ]
  • Jiks
Would we be in the position we are if ALex wasn't on the roster? This team would not be the same team. We would draft different players, have different records, and probably different coaches. Alex was the first part of our rebuilding phase. Is it safe to say that we would be a completely different team if Alex wasn't on the roster?
Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda

Originally posted by sacniner:

True, but Alex wouldnt have been the #1 pick had anyone other than the 49ers picked there.

The answer to the thread is obvious. Eddie D didnt tolerate mediocrity....something Alex didnt even show he could be until his 7th season.
They would not have had the first pick in the draft if Eddie D were still the owner.
Seems like everyone is in agreement. The diehard Smith supporters just brush the topic away with "well, we wouldnt even be in that position, so I dont have to answer".

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is that Niner "culture" sure has changed over the years, and it seems like so has the fanbase's mentality.
Originally posted by Faraz80:
Seems like everyone is in agreement. The diehard Smith supporters just brush the topic away with "well, we wouldnt even be in that position, so I dont have to answer".

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is that Niner "culture" sure has changed over the years, and it seems like so has the fanbase's mentality.

I voted no, obviously. Eddie D didn't have patience. But, the real answer is that we wouldn't have had the number one pick. And the culture changed a long time ago. It sunk in when Tim Rattay was at the helm and our most exciting game was in OT win against the s*itty Cardinals. Old news homes.
Smith would've definitely been gone. We can take this further and say he would've never hired Mike Nolan (which means no Mike Singletary also) or Dennis Erickson There are a lot of things that would've been different.
Share 49ersWebzone