LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Switch to a 4-3 defense already

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by bzborow1:
For those considering the 4-3 switch, here are the point totals over the last four games: 0, 3, 26, and 6. How much better can they get before they satisfy you?

If I had one area to look at it'd be the Justin Smith isn't quite as dominant as he was last season. Having said that, this is a minor minor issue because he's still playing at an elite level. Last year he was just on another planet.

What this team needs more than anything is for Alex to hit the deep ball on occasion.

Side note: how good would this defense be if it had Smith on one side and Watt on the other? :)

I kinda disagree on Justin.

I think as a whole the 49ers are playing defense differently this year than last. They are focusing much more on coverage than on pass rush or run D.

They are seldom sending more then 4 people and Justin is getting doubled quite a bit. In addition, teams are being forced by the pressure of just those front 4 and coverage into shorter drops and shorter passes. They simply aren't allowing big plays.

It's working too....The Niners are the #1 ranked Pass D in the NFL right now.
We could do it, as Bowman was a 4-3 OLB when we drafted him. The only change would be Aldon smith (which isnt a drastic change he was a RDE/pass rusher in a 4-3 defense when we drafted him too). i jus dont see the change happening soon or very necessary. i would like to see us use the old Elephant 3-4 system and use Smith more like we did Haley and Dean..
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
For those considering the 4-3 switch, here are the point totals over the last four games: 0, 3, 26, and 6. How much better can they get before they satisfy you?

If I had one area to look at it'd be the Justin Smith isn't quite as dominant as he was last season. Having said that, this is a minor minor issue because he's still playing at an elite level. Last year he was just on another planet.

What this team needs more than anything is for Alex to hit the deep ball on occasion.

Side note: how good would this defense be if it had Smith on one side and Watt on the other? :)

I kinda disagree on Justin.

I think as a whole the 49ers are playing defense differently this year than last. They are focusing much more on coverage than on pass rush or run D.

They are seldom sending more then 4 people and Justin is getting doubled quite a bit. In addition, teams are being forced by the pressure of just those front 4 and coverage into shorter drops and shorter passes. They simply aren't allowing big plays.

It's working too....The Niners are the #1 ranked Pass D in the NFL right now.

Fair enough. I also wanted to give props to Ahmad Brooks because he's also playing at an extremely high level right now. If you're an opposing offense which side do you run? Where do you attack? Soap isn't gonna be pushed around and neither is Justin Smith. Aldon has been excellent stopping the run as has Brooks. And we are still forgetting about Bowman and Willis. I don't know if there is a front 7 anywhere in the league I'd take over the 9ers group.
we should switch to a 1-5-5 defense
I still don't understand how this can even be a topic of discussion.
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
if this does not work you want to switch to a 4-6? Big Elephant package? Stay in goaline formation?

Look full disclosure I prefer the 4-3.. That being said... really when you think about can you really say that we run the 3-4 to its FULL effect????

The 3-4 defense is going out of style because teams are going away from the run more and more which makes the 3-4 a bunch of crap. The 3-4 was invented to confuse the offense, which IMO the 9ers don't do. We send the same guys almost every time.
Disagree. teams aren't going away from the run, they get forced too by us. And you want to switch to the 4-3??? We don't have 8 guys who can passrush we have maybe 4 in Justin, Aldon, Brooks and Ray.We be perfect for the heavy pass teams, we can stay 3 downline and hold the point of attack like we did against the packers, and still have enough guys to cover the D and throw in a blitz from a Cb too... I don't think we should mess with the number 1 defense in the league just because you want to watch 4 guys do a wide set and get gashed on the run. Really don't want to go back to the mooch days when we couldn't get off the field on 3rd and short because we couldn't stop the run. Teams use it, most use it more than 55 percent of the time, most teams us the run to set the playaction up, actually all teams do, you need the run in order to throw it's never going to be gone and it's still used more than ever.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Oct 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM ]
Bump

Hey gents, it may be impossible to rebuild this DL for the 3-4. We already have the staff for a dynomite 4-3. This may be the year.
It really doesn't matter what your base package is now cause there is always 3 or 4 receivers on the field now
I'd say it's too late to implement the 4-3, but then I realize we're playing the Cards.

Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
I'd say it's too late to implement the 4-3, but then I realize we're playing the Cards.

I don't think anyone is saying do it right now, but we have some serious personnel/cap issues.
Share 49ersWebzone