LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Switch to a 4-3 defense already

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Aren't we the best defense in the nfl? Why would we change?
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
Its my point exactly.. If we are going to spend the majority of our time in a pass defense why waste our draft picks on a defense designed to stop the run?

Not surprised either that you are taking so much sh*t for this... but I have always wanted us to be a 4-3 D.

So JUST FOR FUN, I don't see a problem with considering it. The 2013 offseason would be a great time to do it too. We wouldn't have to try and re-sign Sopoaga (who I really do like) for 5+ mil per year... maybe still try to re-sign RJF for much less, and he is better fit for the 4-3 DT role.

At 255-260 lbs, Brooks is definitely big enough for today's 4-3 DE. I also think he could handle a LB role. He came in this season in much better shape and condition. That of course is a coaches decision.. me? I like Brooks more as a pure rusher with hand in the dirt.. but he does give us some flexibility as we head into the draft and consider an early round LE/SLB. Willis and Bowman also offer versatility across the 2nd level spots.

As said, we are not really fooling anyone in who our rushers are for the 3-4. Frankly, any time Aldon is dropping in coverage, we are hurting ourselves. Having that extra man on the line of scrimmage would help keep our excellent LBs clean and more free to roam. We DO have a good thing going as is... but with these players, we could possibly be even much better.

Just a thought.. and I don't care if we keep things the way they are..
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Is this because the Niners gave up 6 pts last week?
Originally posted by Nuns:
Is this because the Niners gave up 6 pts last week?

LOL! OK, I was about to chime in but this is just too good a reason to stay the course! If the team starts to have trouble (more trouble) then maybe. But, as someone mentioned last time this idea came up...the niners use a four man, five man and six man line at times, depending on the offense played. So it doesn't seem to matter too much what we call the D.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Its my point exactly.. If we are going to spend the majority of our time in a pass defense why waste our draft picks on a defense designed to stop the run?

Not surprised either that you are taking so much sh*t for this... but I have always wanted us to be a 4-3 D.

So JUST FOR FUN, I don't see a problem with considering it. The 2013 offseason would be a great time to do it too. We wouldn't have to try and re-sign Sopoaga (who I really do like) for 5+ mil per year... maybe still try to re-sign RJF for much less, and he is better fit for the 4-3 DT role.

At 255-260 lbs, Brooks is definitely big enough for today's 4-3 DE. I also think he could handle a LB role. He came in this season in much better shape and condition. That of course is a coaches decision.. me? I like Brooks more as a pure rusher with hand in the dirt.. but he does give us some flexibility as we head into the draft and consider an early round LE/SLB. Willis and Bowman also offer versatility across the 2nd level spots.

As said, we are not really fooling anyone in who our rushers are for the 3-4. Frankly, any time Aldon is dropping in coverage, we are hurting ourselves. Having that extra man on the line of scrimmage would help keep our excellent LBs clean and more free to roam. We DO have a good thing going as is... but with these players, we could possibly be even much better.

I think that front is too light in the a$$. Insert soap move raymac to end and turn brooks into a sam
the defense already ONLY sends 4 rushers on almost every play, why not switch.... Seriously we have the players to do AS SOON AS NEXT YEAR.
we would have Smith, Smith, Ice, and Raymac as Dline with Willis, Bowman and Brooks as LBS.. In this upcoming draft we could draft either a DE or LB to fit the system, and when you think about how many draft picks we have, could get both. Which would start or play major minutes compared to this year draft.

My main reason for bringing this to discussion is that we hardly ever use the 3-4 to its full use IMO.. Rarely do we send more then 4 rushers and its seems to me ( at least) that they are always the same guys. When a 3-4 you should be sending everybody and anybody on any given play.

I expected better from you.
I personally like our 3-4 defense, especially when Justin can get the upright start on the Oline seeing how much trouble he gives them from having a hand in the dirt when he gets the upright start i havent seen a lineman thats stopped him from the upright position yet, same for Aldon hes more effective in the upright position then having a hand in the dirt.
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
how about no scott

zip it
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:
Aren't we the best defense in the nfl? Why would we change?

Because the coaching staff really does not understand the game of football very well.
Maybe we are missing Parys Haralson a little more than we thought we would,?

Bababahahahahhahahahhahahaha is this thread serious.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Agreed with this entire post.
If it's not broke take a sledge hammer to it until it is.
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Bababahahahahhahahahhahahaha is this thread serious.

[video]http:// [URL=http://gifsoup.com/view/1438018/manbearpig.html][/URL] [URL=http://gifsoup.com/]GIFSoup[/URL][/video]
Share 49ersWebzone