LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

One Defensive Concern - The Wheel Route

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've noticed over the course of the season that opponents are trying to hit a wheel route on us at least once or twice a game. It hasn't always been executed well, but we haven't defended it well either. It looks like our inside linebackers are having trouble covering it, like the Seattle game when Turbin had Patrick Willis beat down the sideline but Turbin drops the perfectly thrown ball. We need to give some help on the back end or switch the coverage somehow. I think teams will continue to exploit us when they know a rb is man covered by a lb.
Totally agree.

I'm sure the coaches have noticed it as well.
I hope so.
We should stop putting PW in coverage
Originally posted by bearjew49er:
I've noticed over the course of the season that opponents are trying to hit a wheel route on us at least once or twice a game. It hasn't always been executed well, but we haven't defended it well either. It looks like our inside linebackers are having trouble covering it, like the Seattle game when Turbin had Patrick Willis beat down the sideline but Turbin drops the perfectly thrown ball. We need to give some help on the back end or switch the coverage somehow. I think teams will continue to exploit us when they know a rb is man covered by a lb.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
We should stop putting PW in coverage

I thought I was the only one who seen this. This is going to hurt the 49er one day. I never felt comfotrable with P-Willis covering that route since the Detriot game last season. Sure he was able to knock the ball down..but it was of so close to a T.D.
Navarro is getting burned too. I think it happened in the Giants game.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
#1 defense against the pass.
Our LBs have been getting picked by WRs on crossing routes while trying to cover these wheel routes.
I don't think it's a concern. If a QB is throwing to a player not knowing for his receiving skills, then our LB's have that responsibility and that player will miss the catch more than make.

If we are playing vs a team with a guy like Sproles, then our LB's don't have that assignment. It's more of a mentality like if that guy beats us, then we are okay with that as it is the least likely outcome.
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
Our LBs have been getting picked by WRs on crossing routes while trying to cover these wheel routes.

This. The one where Turbin dropped, Pat was obviously picked, but the damn refs didn't call it.

Well if they don't put Willis or Bowman on these guys that means they have to let Whitner cover them. And we all know how that's gonna turn out.
Originally posted by niners94:
This. The one where Turbin dropped, Pat was obviously picked, but the damn refs didn't call it.

i know it would probably end up with us getting burnt, but i really wish defenders would just plow into the WR trying to set the pick.

usually the targeted defender can't see it coming but i'm sure the other defender could. if the target of the pick takes the WR out, the other defender can then leave his man and switch his coverage, he might be a step behind but it'd at least make the picker think twice about doing it again.
Originally posted by Sinsation:

i know it would probably end up with us getting burnt, but i really wish defenders would just plow into the WR trying to set the pick.

usually the targeted defender can't see it coming but i'm sure the other defender could. if the target of the pick takes the WR out, the other defender can then leave his man and switch his coverage, he might be a step behind but it'd at least make the picker think twice about doing it again.

Refs would pro

Refs would probably enf up calling a penalty on us instead
Share 49ersWebzone