LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

Preseason Q's being Answered

Shop Find 49ers gear online
El Dan Mann -- "Can the 49ers play from behind and come back and win?".

I say that from one possession behind - sure. Two scores down? Yes, but not unless there are at least 7 or 8 mins left in the game.
Originally posted by RichnSanRamon:
El Dan Mann -- "Can the 49ers play from behind and come back and win?".

I say that from one possession behind - sure. Two scores down? Yes, but not unless there are at least 7 or 8 mins left in the game.

And Ronnie Brown needs to get a couple carries.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Re: regression, Alex's QBR is higher this year than last year.

What the hell is a QBR though??

QB rating.

QBR >>> Vince Lombardi trophy
Originally posted by kush:
Good - occasionally very good???

Was the Seattle game good or very good? How about vs both new ny teams?

IMO Alex is usually between slightly below average and slightly above average, although we've seen he can be much worse than slightly below average and can sometimes be quite a bit better than average.

Top ten qb rating says you're good eleven to twenty says you're average twenty one down says you're bad. Top five says you're elite. Alex is average to good. Matter of fact he is top ten and we're five and one so he is good enough. It ain't but thirty two of those jobs in the world
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Will the additions of the new weapons make the offense more explosive ?

answer NO
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

answer NO

May I ask what "explosion" you were expecting from a 35 near 36 year old WR who last go round played for 3 teams in one season...and a #3, and at best #2 receiver who was not retained in favor of unproven young players and a rookie 2nd round pick??
Great post. Here's my two cents:

Roman's use of WildKaep, is it too much?
I think Roman got a little too Kaep-happy in the Giants game and he reigned it in against the Seahawks. I can't really blame him as it worked so well against the Jets and Bills, but he's got to be more judicious when using it. On the first drive against the Giants, I thought Alex had a really good rhythm and I was scratching my head when they brought Kaep in on 3rd-and-6. We ended up settling for a David Akers miss on that drive. I would have liked to see Alex in there in that situation...

...Is Alex Smith regressing, or is it just that the Giants and Seahawks are really good defenses, or is his finger more of a problem than he is letting on?
As another poster mentioned, Alex is just Alex. He's much better than in years past obviously, but he's still not a game-changer, meaning he's not going to be the main reason we win games. He's ultra-conservative by nature, which is fine. We can win with him, but defense, run game and ST have to play absolutely lights-out.

...Are there so many different personnel groupings being used on offense that it is hindering Alex Smith's development of a mind-meld type of rapport with any of them other than Vernon? I kind of think so. The only receivier that Alex seems to trust completely (other than Davis) is Kyle Williams.
Again, I think this goes back to Alex's conservative, risk-averse nature. He very rarely throws into tight windows. If a CB has decent coverage, he'll look elsewhere to go with the ball rather than throwing it up and letting his receiver out-position the CB for a jump ball.

I think what's really killing him are those deep passes down the sideline to open receivers. Those passes look badly overthrown. I know all QBs overthrow receivers occasionally, but Alex seems to do this with such regularity, we can't capitalize on opportunities to get touchdowns instead of field goals. The overthrows are really suprising to me, considering the percentage of snaps he gets in practice and all the work he's done in the offseason with the WRs. The only deep route he looks comfortable throwing is the wheel to a TE...
[ Edited by mickey49 on Oct 22, 2012 at 10:12 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

answer NO

May I ask what "explosion" you were expecting from a 35 near 36 year old WR who last go round played for 3 teams in one season...and a #3, and at best #2 receiver who was not retained in favor of unproven young players and a rookie 2nd round pick??

I was expecting to be at least top 15 passing offense but instead we rank at 29th.
Originally posted by mickey49:
Great post. Here's my two cents:

Roman's use of WildKaep, is it too much?
I think Roman got a little too Kaep-happy in the Giants game and he reigned it in against the Seahawks. I can't really blame him as it worked so well against the Jets and Bills, but he's got to be more judicious when using it. On the first drive against the Giants, I thought Alex had a really good rhythm and I was scratching my head when they brought Kaep in on 3rd-and-6. We ended up settling for a David Akers miss on that drive. I would have liked to see Alex in there in that situation...

...Is Alex Smith regressing, or is it just that the Giants and Seahawks are really good defenses, or is his finger more of a problem than he is letting on?
As another poster mentioned, Alex is just Alex. He's much better than in years past obviously, but he's still not a game-changer, meaning he's not going to be the main reason we win games. He's ultra-conservative by nature, which is fine. We can win with him, but defense, run game and ST have to play absolutely lights-out.

...Are there so many different personnel groupings being used on offense that it is hindering Alex Smith's development of a mind-meld type of rapport with any of them other than Vernon? I kind of think so. The only receivier that Alex seems to trust completely (other than Davis) is Kyle Williams.
Again, I think this goes back to Alex's conservative, risk-averse nature. He very rarely throws into tight windows. If a CB has decent coverage, he'll look elsewhere to go with the ball rather than throwing it up and letting his receiver out-position the CB for a jump ball.

I think what's really killing him are those deep passes down the sideline to open receivers. Those passes look badly overthrown. I know all QBs overthrow receivers occasionally, but Alex seems to do this with such regularity, we can't capitalize on opportunities to get touchdowns instead of field goals. The overthrows are really suprising to me, considering the percentage of snaps he gets in practice and all the work he's done in the offseason with the WRs. The only deep route he looks comfortable throwing is the wheel to a TE...

Not true he has been connecting with Manningham. I still dont understand not connecting with Randy Moss. I'd like to see Moss get more snaps.
Share 49ersWebzone