There are 221 users in the forums

quarterback controversy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by strickac:
Yeah, and I can't be racist because I have a black neighbor.

Lmao you got me there, regardless I don't think jokes like that are funny.
Onto the QB controversy...I think we should've made the switch this offseason personally.

With Alex as our QB our success on offense has depended greatly on manufacturing production. We have to design perfect plays and execute them perfectly versus the exact defense we are expecting to face. Because of that, if we guess wrong or if one guy doesn't execute, the plays f**ked. What's more is Alex can really only get through two reads and even that he has trouble with. Unlike with qbs like Rodgers and Brees, you can't give Alex 4 or 5 reads and expect him to get through each.

I'm not here to say Kaep is gonna be the truth or that he can overcome a "wrong guess" or a "missed assignment" by a teammate but if we already are manufacturing our production on offense, Kaep gives you a much wider variety of plays to pull from. We could design a ton more plays to hide cks weaknesses just like we do for Alex's. it's too late now and I have no doubts we may have looked worse for the first couple weeks, but by the end of the year I think we'd have been better off going with CK7.
Originally posted by kush:
Onto the QB controversy...I think we should've made the switch this offseason personally.

Totally agree. After our horrible season last year, I can't fathom why we didn't change quarterbacks in the offseason.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kush:
Hehe good comeback cc. I agreed To an extent, it appears all but certain Alex will be the starting QB the rest of the season, and inside the 49ers facility that won't change unless we start losing games in bunches. However at the same time you can tell the receivers are getting agitated as well as the fans. hell even oldman called to put kaep in during the seahawks game. Unfortunately that game was only very slightly worse than Alexs average game versus a playoff team since 2010.

Thankfully far fewer ppl are kidding themselves now
well he got his wish to put ck in and we saw what happened.
Originally posted by cciowa:
well he got his wish to put ck in and we saw what happened.

He played decently but it made Alex suck too much to continue
Look, we all seen the week before against N.Y. that Alex Smith can not run a high flying, prolific, juggernaut offense, like Eli can do. We had to go back to conservative, handtheballoff, check down, game managing, with occasional close range passes. We did go out and get Randy Moss, drafted a speedy receiver, and got Mario Manningham. It makes no sense to think Alex Smith would improve on a deep ball he does not have. If you been to a niner game, it takes an eternity for his deep balls to make it down field. He knows it! This is not his game! We can make it, if we keep the plays within Alex's talent. If we want to utilize deep threat receivers, we need to look elsewhere at QB. This should be a given after 7 years, with 2 -300 yard games. Alex Smith is what he is....but we can win with him.
I put this in another thread but it seems a good place here as well. 20+ yard completions as a percentage of total QB attempts.

Newton: 1.39

P Manning: 1.15

Flacco: 1.15

Brees: 1.0

E Manning: 1.0

Roethlisberger: .9

Smith: .89

Brady: .84

Rodgers: .7

Stafford: .77

Ryan: .72

This doesn't mean a lot but it does show that Smith is in the ball park among good QBs for completing long passes...they just pass less than other teams. Cam Newton's numbers were very surprising to me.
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Originally posted by English:
Fight for the right to be offensive.

Originally posted by goldrush49:
Look, we all seen the week before against N.Y. that Alex Smith can not run a high flying, prolific, juggernaut offense, like Eli can do. We had to go back to conservative, handtheballoff, check down, game managing, with occasional close range passes. We did go out and get Randy Moss, drafted a speedy receiver, and got Mario Manningham. It makes no sense to think Alex Smith would improve on a deep ball he does not have. If you been to a niner game, it takes an eternity for his deep balls to make it down field. He knows it! This is not his game! We can make it, if we keep the plays within Alex's talent. If we want to utilize deep threat receivers, we need to look elsewhere at QB. This should be a given after 7 years, with 2 -300 yard games. Alex Smith is what he is....but we can win with him.

i too dont really care about how many wins niners get this season as long as they can get more 300 yard passing games
the real qb controversy is who should be the backup, kaepernick or tolzien

Originally posted by hofer36:
the real qb controversy is who should be the backup, kaepernick or tolzien

the real controversy is who would've been the best place-holder for Kaep: Matt Hasselbeck, Peyton Manning or Alex Smith.
There may not be a qb controversy right now amongst the 49ers organization but with the fans and the rest of the NFL looking on wondering why we're still having to endure turd play from #11 after all this time and new weapons, maybe it wont be long. Smith is really killing my midseason buzz!!!!
Originally posted by NinerG94:
There may not be a qb controversy right now amongst the 49ers organization but with the fans and the rest of the NFL looking on wondering why we're still having to endure turd play from #11 after all this time and new weapons, maybe it wont be long. Smith is really killing my midseason buzz!!!!

Agree! 5-2 is a real buzz kill...........doh!
Wow, where in the world does all this come from?Nobody on this thread mentioned that the O gameplan Roman and Harbaugh used against the Giants was a guaranteed loser. What in the heck were they doing calling 5, 7 or more drop back steps against the one best D BIG RUSH line in the league? It was like, "here's the game , boys, take it". Against the big rush, you CANNOT call anything but 1-2 second passes and expect them to be completed. Tuck, Osi, Pierre, plus 3 other LBs that passrushed, just crushed any pass play that took more than 2 seconds to get rid of. This has everything to do with how well or badly alex's passes were thrown, and I guarandamtee it that he can't complete a pass lying on his back. Don't put blame for that abortion of a game on the qBs shoulders. That was a coaching loss , pure and simple. NOBODY, incl Brees, Brady, Eli, or whoever, could have made that miserable excuse for an O gameplan work. The crappy gameplan was exceeded only by the worse play calling. So pick a QB, Tolz, kap, alex, and they all would have failed against that unmerciful NYG passrush. When the BIG RUSH is coming you throw passes under 2 seconds. Hold it a second longer than that and you get Osi in your face grill. And that is exactly what happened.. So please, please, do not use that game to say, "Oh, alex , he couldn't do dink in that game." . Because in fact he couldn't ,, courtesy of an O gameplan that was doomed from the moment the two teams hit the field. You know, Coach H mentioned that his dad would have a couple plays of his own in the NYG game. Note to Coach. Keep the game calling to yourself and keep your dad or anyone else out of it. Big long rainbow passes are beautiful, but not when you have a thundering herd of Osis , Pierres, and Tucks running you over.

As for Kap, flashes of brilliance, followed by flashes of ineptitude. He personally killed two of the O drives we had going and it was because he got the BIG RUSH and looked like a deer in the headlights. He personally killed two of our good O drives. You want to play flag football, 5 on 5 and put Kap in as your qB...that's great, and you will win. You play NFL football, and put kap in and he can look amazingly good, followed by killing major O drives. Guys, the kid had tons of raw talent, BUT...he ain't ready. Alex is a fine Qb, but he needs a good game plan going in. Coach and Roman didn't give him one two weeks in a row. I mean, just exactly what does it take to realize that the BIG RUSH means you gotta get rid of the ball in under 2 seconds, or the roof is going to fall in on your head. And it did. We won the SEA game because of Frank's 165 yards, and the D. The O gameplan and game calls sucked...and were doomed from the gitgo. Some people think it is sissy boy football to play dink and dunk. Well that is exactly what montana and rice, JT, et al did for 4 of our 5 SBs. If the long passes aren't there because of the big rush....unnhhhh....you throw short quick ones. Harbaugh/Roman didn't and they failed their QB as well as their team. Frank and the D pulled us out of the fire, but we won (vs SEA) IN SPITE of our OC and HC. They needed to apolgize to the fans...and to alex publically.

As for the kap thing, hey, he needs more time. He is not NFL ready.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Wow, where in the world does all this come from?Nobody on this thread mentioned that the O gameplan Roman and Harbaugh used against the Giants was a guaranteed loser. What in the heck were they doing calling 5, 7 or more drop back steps against the one best D BIG RUSH line in the league? It was like, "here's the game , boys, take it". Against the big rush, you CANNOT call anything but 1-2 second passes and expect them to be completed. Tuck, Osi, Pierre, plus 3 other LBs that passrushed, just crushed any pass play that took more than 2 seconds to get rid of. This has everything to do with how well or badly alex's passes were thrown, and I guarandamtee it that he can't complete a pass lying on his back. Don't put blame for that abortion of a game on the qBs shoulders. That was a coaching loss , pure and simple. NOBODY, incl Brees, Brady, Eli, or whoever, could have made that miserable excuse for an O gameplan work. The crappy gameplan was exceeded only by the worse play calling. So pick a QB, Tolz, kap, alex, and they all would have failed against that unmerciful NYG passrush. When the BIG RUSH is coming you throw passes under 2 seconds. Hold it a second longer than that and you get Osi in your face grill. And that is exactly what happened.. So please, please, do not use that game to say, "Oh, alex , he couldn't do dink in that game." . Because in fact he couldn't ,, courtesy of an O gameplan that was doomed from the moment the two teams hit the field. You know, Coach H mentioned that his dad would have a couple plays of his own in the NYG game. Note to Coach. Keep the game calling to yourself and keep your dad or anyone else out of it. Big long rainbow passes are beautiful, but not when you have a thundering herd of Osis , Pierres, and Tucks running you over.

As for Kap, flashes of brilliance, followed by flashes of ineptitude. He personally killed two of the O drives we had going and it was because he got the BIG RUSH and looked like a deer in the headlights. He personally killed two of our good O drives. You want to play flag football, 5 on 5 and put Kap in as your qB...that's great, and you will win. You play NFL football, and put kap in and he can look amazingly good, followed by killing major O drives. Guys, the kid had tons of raw talent, BUT...he ain't ready. Alex is a fine Qb, but he needs a good game plan going in. Coach and Roman didn't give him one two weeks in a row. I mean, just exactly what does it take to realize that the BIG RUSH means you gotta get rid of the ball in under 2 seconds, or the roof is going to fall in on your head. And it did. We won the SEA game because of Frank's 165 yards, and the D. The O gameplan and game calls sucked...and were doomed from the gitgo. Some people think it is sissy boy football to play dink and dunk. Well that is exactly what montana and rice, JT, et al did for 4 of our 5 SBs. If the long passes aren't there because of the big rush....unnhhhh....you throw short quick ones. Harbaugh/Roman didn't and they failed their QB as well as their team. Frank and the D pulled us out of the fire, but we won (vs SEA) IN SPITE of our OC and HC. They needed to apolgize to the fans...and to alex publically.

As for the kap thing, hey, he needs more time. He is not NFL ready.
So the coaches should apologize publicly to Alex for him overthrowing receivers and throwing 4 interceptions over the last 2 games (3 by the way were short passes). Yeah maybe they should apologize to him because they expected him to put on his big boy pants and go toe to toe with the NFL Champs! Also C.K entering the game shouldn't affect a veteran QB to play pass & catch to a wide open receiver running in back of the endzone.
Share 49ersWebzone