There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Frank Gore a Top-10 All Time 49er?

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Now think about what Gore had. The threat of Arnaz Battle, Ashley Lelie, and old Isaac Bruce, Darrell Jackson, Bryan Gilmore, I could go on. He had the great JT O'Sullivan and Shaun Hill as starting QBs. Alex Smith from 2005-2008 (I'll admit Smith has been ok since '09) and he STILL got the job done. If you are a defensive coordinator, ALL you had to do was stop Frank Gore. Yet Frank the Tank still got the job done. Craig helped the 49ers pass offense as much as the offense helped him.

I understand all that. I've said all along that, in my opinion, it's a toss up. I'm just responding to all those who seem to think it's Gore in a massive landslide. I've seen many quotes so far along the lines of "Gore. Not even close". That, in my opinion, is a ridiculous thing to say and shows someone who has no idea what Craig meant to this team.
Originally posted by trellblaze:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Now think about what Gore had. The threat of Arnaz Battle, Ashley Lelie, and old Isaac Bruce, Darrell Jackson, Bryan Gilmore, I could go on. He had the great JT O'Sullivan and Shaun Hill as starting QBs. Alex Smith from 2005-2008 (I'll admit Smith has been ok since '09) and he STILL got the job done. If you are a defensive coordinator, ALL you had to do was stop Frank Gore. Yet Frank the Tank still got the job done. Craig helped the 49ers pass offense as much as the offense helped him.

I understand all that. I've said all along that, in my opinion, it's a toss up. I'm just responding to all those who seem to think it's Gore in a massive landslide. I've seen many quotes so far along the lines of "Gore. Not even close". That, in my opinion, is a ridiculous thing to say and shows someone who has no idea what Craig meant to this team.

I wasn't aware of that. I'm not going to call it a landslide. I take Craig as my number two and it could be argued that he could've had a Super Bowl MVP (XIX). Highly underrated player in NFL history who would've had more rushing yards if he weren't playing with Wendell Tyler his first few seasons.
Originally posted by Janitor:
Yes

X 2
how is this even a thread? 49ers all time leading rusher in yards and touchdowns
As Justin Smith said, "stats are for losers."

Gore might have a record stat but that does not mean all time 49er top ten.

Craig did everything Gore can do but Gore could never do everything Craig could do.

Craig also had Rice, Taylor, Jones, Tyler and Montana going off in a major multi-faceted offense.

Gore was the only offensive guy with the ball for years because our teams sucked that bad.

Walsh would laugh at the thought of using Gore over Craig.

He would blend him in like he did with Wendell Tyler, but Craig was the man then and would be now.

But I don't expect the 12 year olds in here playing Madden and fantasy football like trading cards to understand that.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
As Justin Smith said, "stats are for losers."

Gore might have a record stat but that does not mean all time 49er top ten.

Craig did everything Gore can do but Gore could never do everything Craig could do.

Craig also had Rice, Taylor, Jones, Tyler and Montana going off in a major multi-faceted offense.

Gore was the only offensive guy with the ball for years because our teams sucked that bad.

Walsh would laugh at the thought of using Gore over Craig.

He would blend him in like he did with Wendell Tyler, but Craig was the man then and would be now.

But I don't expect the 12 year olds in here playing Madden and fantasy football like trading cards to understand that.

What a ridiculous post. So let me get this straight; Craig played on stacked offensive teams that had to defend the best QB and receiver to ever play the game, while Gore has gone up against 8 man boxes his entire career, and that somehow is a knock against Gore and + for Craig? Gore played his first 6 seasons on teams that had to stop no one but him and Vernon Davis, and was still effective every single year.
[ Edited by Disp on Oct 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,898
Originally posted by Disp:
What a ridiculous post. So let me get this straight; Craig played on stacked offensive teams that had to defend the best QB and receiver to ever play the game, while Gore has gone up against 8 man boxes his entire career, and that somehow is a knock against Gore and + for Craig? Gore played his first 6 seasons on teams that had to stop no one but him and Vernon Davis, and was still effective every single year.
disp, as usual, said nothing wrong
Um, yeah, that was a pretty silly post. I love Craig too. But Gore is a special runner. I think this has all been hashed out here before in earlier pages. No need to go through it all again. Props to both.

Oh, and I'm 52.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Oct 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM ]
Chocolate! Peanut Butter!

Stop, stop! You're both right!
Originally posted by swayze:
Chocolate! Peanut Butter!

Stop, stop! You're both right!

This...