There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Frank Gore a Top-10 All Time 49er?

Originally posted by trellblaze:
You're still short one DB...unless you plan to run goal line or 46 every other down...

Not my intention to set a proper roster, but just to name guys that I think played their position at an elite level for the Niners. Started to compile the list just to answer in my mind whether Frank Gore is a top 10 All-Time 49er. I think he is.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Niner HOF by position:

QB: Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Brodie
RB: Frank Gore, Hugh McElheney, Roger Craig, Garrison Hearst
WR: Jerry Rice, Gene Washington, Dwight Clark
TE: Vernon Davis, Brent Jones, Russ Francis
OL: Bob St. Clair, Randy Cross, Harris Barton, Joe Staley
DL: Fred Dean, Charles Haley, Cedrick Hardman, Bryant Young, Justin Smith, DUI x 2
LB: Dave Wilcox, Keena Turner, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman
DB: Ronnie Lott, Jimmy Johnson, Deion Sanders (can you count him? Yes you can! SB#5)
K: Consistency: Ray Wershing; Best Season: David Akers
P: Andy Lee; Steve Spurrier (yes, Spurrier was a good 49ers punter!)
Coaches: Walsh, Seifert, Harbaugh

Honorable Mention: Eric Wright, Terrell Owens, Tom Rathman

Joe Staley?
It's a conversation piece. I agree with Bryant Young and it reminds me of another egregious omission on my part: Justin Smith. So, I will revise and put them on. Eric Wright looks like a great player, but given that the Bucs cut him and he's mentoring Aldon Smith in drug rehab, it is maybe premature. The dreaded upper groin pull cut short what would have been a great career for the real Eric Wright. Deion Sanders makes the list because he was the single largest factor in SB trophy #5. Owens has an argument, but like our guy Aldon, did himself no favors with his distracting antics. Kwalick, hey maybe, but I was in diapers and he's not burning up the old highlight reel.

Eric Wright was a gifted, phenomenal cover corner who unfortunately had only a handful of seasons before suffering from a chronic injury that handicapped his performance for the rest of his career. He had the unusual combination of being tall and incredibly gymnastic in coverage.

He was part of the best defensive backfield draft by any team ever, 1981, when he came in with Ronnie Lott and Carleton Williamson to match up with Dwight Hicks and give SF the best overall defensive backfield in the league (best against the pass and run together), even better than the all star Raiders of that year.

Anyway, he was an athletically unique player and should always be remembered by this organization. Definitely should make an all star team. I don't count Deion he was only here a few games.

Ted Kwalick and Bob Tucker (NYG) basically invented the modern day possession tight end pass game through their effectiveness. There were splashier deep threats, like McKay, Ditka, Chester, but these guys made a living by giving QBs that checkdown first down option consistently. He was John Brodie's goto guy when Gene was triple covered. Very worthy too.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Oct 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM ]
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Joe Staley?

He's a great, athletic tackle. Best player in Niner history.

I'm thinking a bit too many here posting were in diapers when Roger Craig was the backfield player in 49er history.

Craig had pro bowl backs like Wendell Tyler running along side him who broke open gains just like gore, and even better at times.

Craig was the one who caused the whole game to change and there was no answer

Montana, Lott, Craig, Rice, and most of the rest of those teams of the 80's and early to mid 90's OWN 30, not 10 of those slots.

Give it up. Gore is a great back but he is just your generations best.

He is NOT HISTORIC.

Love the guy, respect the guy, but NO.

NOT IN THE ALL TIME GREAT CATEGORY.

Did Craig win any superbowls? Did Gore win any superbowls?

Would the Giants, Bengals, Dolphins, and the rest lost if Gore was running the ball but couldn't do 1/3 of what Craig could do?

NO WAY.
49erWay: "He is NOT HISTORIC"

Isn't the all time rushing leader for a 62-year old franchise "historic" by definition?
Originally posted by 49erWay:
I'm thinking a bit too many here posting were in diapers when Roger Craig was the backfield player in 49er history.

Craig had pro bowl backs like Wendell Tyler running along side him who broke open gains just like gore, and even better at times.

Montana, Lott, Craig, Rice, and most of the rest of those teams of the 80's and early to mid 90's OWN 30, not 10 of those slots.

He is NOT HISTORIC.

Would the Giants, Bengals, Dolphins, and the rest lost if Gore was running the ball but couldn't do 1/3 of what Craig could do?

NO WAY.

Again, my stance is that it's a lot closer between the two than people like to think, BUT, the bolded statement is what it seems some seem to have a hard time grasping.

They point to Craig having Walsh, Montana, Rice, ect...but you have to understand that Craig's unique abilities allowed those other players to do EVEN GREATER things. Think of yourself as a defensive coordinator. You have to deal with Rice and Taylor. Bad enough alone. Now I've got to deal with a guy coming from the fricken backfield who is just as dangerous as Taylor catching the ball and who can run at a pro bowl level. Where are they gonna put him on any given play? Who's going to get the ball?

I don't think you guys truly realize how good Craig was as a receiver. We're not just talking dump offs and check downs here. Think Larry Centers - except Centers sucked as a pure runner. Craig was an all pro runner. The only player I can think of who was better or just as good at both is Marcus Allen.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Isn't the all time rushing leader for a 62-year old franchise "historic" by definition?

Kind of crazy that valid arguments can be made to show our teams rb, who owns the most rushing yards in franchise history, might not be one of our top 10 players of all time...I LOVE OUR FRANCHISE! we are so spoiled
Niner HOF by position (revised):

DL: Fred Dean, Charles Haley, Cedrick Hardman, Bryant Young, Justin Smith, DUI x 2
DB: Ronnie Lott, Jimmy Johnson, Deion Sanders (can you count him? Yes you can! SB#5)

I believe DUI x 2 is a LB, great list though. What about Leo Nomellini, I never seen him play but, I heard he was pretty good.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Niner HOF by position:

Joe Staley?

good list, thanks for putting 18 gene in there,,,, only thing i would say is you could slip ted kwalik in ahead of russ at tight end. we have had so many linebackers that is a tough one to narrow down but you did a good job. could have made a case for hacksaw but not a big deal. i hate deon on that list but i will get over it! you nailed the quarterbacks. you are also spot on in regards to spurrier
Originally posted by GNielsen:

ha ha ha nice!
Joe Staley?

He's a great, athletic tackle. Best player in Niner history.

That was one of the most amazing blocks by a tackle I have ever seen. Staley had sheer determination on his face that is an awesome set of pics!!

He is NOT HISTORIC.

NO WAY.

Craig was the 1st ever with 1,000 / 1,000
Originally posted by trellblaze:

He is NOT HISTORIC.

NO WAY.

Again, my stance is that it's a lot closer between the two than people like to think, BUT, the bolded statement is what it seems some seem to have a hard time grasping.

They point to Craig having Walsh, Montana, Rice, ect...but you have to understand that Craig's unique abilities allowed those other players to do EVEN GREATER things. Think of yourself as a defensive coordinator. You have to deal with Rice and Taylor. Bad enough alone. Now I've got to deal with a guy coming from the fricken backfield who is just as dangerous as Taylor catching the ball and who can run at a pro bowl level. Where are they gonna put him on any given play? Who's going to get the ball?

I don't think you guys truly realize how good Craig was as a receiver. We're not just talking dump offs and check downs here. Think Larry Centers - except Centers sucked as a pure runner. Craig was an all pro runner. The only player I can think of who was better or just as good at both is Marcus Allen.

Now think about what Gore had. The threat of Arnaz Battle, Ashley Lelie, and old Isaac Bruce, Darrell Jackson, Bryan Gilmore, I could go on. He had the great JT O'Sullivan and Shaun Hill as starting QBs. Alex Smith from 2005-2008 (I'll admit Smith has been ok since '09) and he STILL got the job done. If you are a defensive coordinator, ALL you had to do was stop Frank Gore. Yet Frank the Tank still got the job done. Craig helped the 49ers pass offense as much as the offense helped him.