There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Frank Gore a Top-10 All Time 49er?

Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Gotta get past the great Derek Loville first


who would you want carrying the rock for one game? Frank the Tank or Craig? I'd pick Gore everyday and twice on Sundays
How soon they forget or never knew at all what greatness came before.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Niner HOF by position:

QB: Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Brodie
RB: Frank Gore, Hugh McElheney, Roger Craig, Garrison Hearst
WR: Jerry Rice, Gene Washington, Dwight Clark
TE: Vernon Davis, Brent Jones, Russ Francis
OL: Bob St. Clair, Randy Cross, Harris Barton, Joe Staley
DL: Fred Dean, Charles Haley, Cedrick Hardman, DUI x 2
LB: Dave Wilcox, Keena Turner, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman
DB: Ronnie Lott, Jimmy Johnson, Deion Sanders (can you count him?)
K: Consistency: Ray Wershing; Best Season: David Akers
P: Andy Lee; Steve Spurrier (yes, Spurrier was a good 49ers punter!)
Coaches: Walsh, Seifert, Nolan (Sr.), Harbaugh

no owens?

Or even John Taylor or Freddie Solomon.

That list is also missing a DB (only 3 listed). How about Eric Davis?
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Definitely but he's getting older.


He crapped his pants on the field for fuvks sake.

.
  • Salty
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21
Hi everyone this is my first post.

Roger Craig was an excellent, excellent football player, but he did not have the sheer talent of Frank Gore. Look at the rest of the offense from 2006 when Gore had 2,300 yards from scrimmage. Aside from the offensive line, which was by no means great, it's putrid. The 2013 Browns would probably beat 2006 49ers if they played today. Put Craig on that team and I have a hard time believing he has the same success.
Originally posted by trellblaze:
Or even John Taylor or Freddie Solomon.

That list is also missing a DB (only 3 listed). How about Eric Davis?


Eric Wright. My indulgence is Dwight Hicks there, who was the best free safety in football for 2 years.
I think the bottom line is that on a franchise that's been around for 62 years, you need a list with more than 10 places on it.
Originally posted by trellblaze:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Niner HOF by position:

QB: Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Brodie
RB: Frank Gore, Hugh McElheney, Roger Craig, Garrison Hearst
WR: Jerry Rice, Gene Washington, Dwight Clark
TE: Vernon Davis, Brent Jones, Russ Francis
OL: Bob St. Clair, Randy Cross, Harris Barton, Joe Staley
DL: Fred Dean, Charles Haley, Cedrick Hardman, DUI x 2
LB: Dave Wilcox, Keena Turner, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman
DB: Ronnie Lott, Jimmy Johnson, Deion Sanders (can you count him?)
K: Consistency: Ray Wershing; Best Season: David Akers
P: Andy Lee; Steve Spurrier (yes, Spurrier was a good 49ers punter!)
Coaches: Walsh, Seifert, Nolan (Sr.), Harbaugh

no owens?

Or even John Taylor or Freddie Solomon.

That list is also missing a DB (only 3 listed). How about Eric Davis?

And bryant young, rathman, floyd?
Bryant Young and Tom Rathman, yes, but Floyd? I love Taylor, Solomon and Eric Davis, but they probably don't make it. You'd have to have Don Griffin and Tim McKyer there as corners before Davis. Griffin and McKyer were a tremendous lock-down corner duo.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
NO! ARE YOU ON THE PIPE?
Kwalick!
(The real) Eric Wright!
Bryant Young!

It's a conversation piece. I agree with Bryant Young and it reminds me of another egregious omission on my part: Justin Smith. So, I will revise and put them on. Eric Wright looks like a great player, but given that the Bucs cut him and he's mentoring Aldon Smith in drug rehab, it is maybe premature. The dreaded upper groin pull cut short what would have been a great career for the real Eric Wright. Deion Sanders makes the list because he was the single largest factor in SB trophy #5. Owens has an argument, but like our guy Aldon, did himself no favors with his distracting antics. Kwalick, hey maybe, but I was in diapers and he's not burning up the old highlight reel.
Niner HOF by position (revised):

QB: Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Brodie
RB: Frank Gore, Hugh McElheney, Roger Craig, Garrison Hearst
WR: Jerry Rice, Gene Washington, Dwight Clark
TE: Vernon Davis, Brent Jones, Russ Francis
OL: Bob St. Clair, Randy Cross, Harris Barton, Joe Staley
DL: Fred Dean, Charles Haley, Cedrick Hardman, Bryant Young, Justin Smith, DUI x 2
LB: Dave Wilcox, Keena Turner, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman
DB: Ronnie Lott, Jimmy Johnson, Deion Sanders (can you count him? Yes you can! SB#5)
K: Consistency: Ray Wershing; Best Season: David Akers
P: Andy Lee; Steve Spurrier (yes, Spurrier was a good 49ers punter!)
Coaches: Walsh, Seifert, Harbaugh
Honorable Mention: Eric Wright, Terrell Owens, Tom Rathman
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Eric Wright. My indulgence is Dwight Hicks there, who was the best free safety in football for 2 years.

For a split second I thought this was Clifford Hicks (remember him? heh).
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Bryant Young and Tom Rathman, yes, but Floyd? I love Taylor, Solomon and Eric Davis, but they probably don't make it. You'd have to have Don Griffin and Tim McKyer there as corners before Davis. Griffin and McKyer were a tremendous lock-down corner duo.

Fair enough.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Niner HOF by position (revised):

QB: Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Brodie
RB: Frank Gore, Hugh McElheney, Roger Craig, Garrison Hearst
WR: Jerry Rice, Gene Washington, Dwight Clark
TE: Vernon Davis, Brent Jones, Russ Francis
OL: Bob St. Clair, Randy Cross, Harris Barton, Joe Staley
DL: Fred Dean, Charles Haley, Cedrick Hardman, Bryant Young, Justin Smith, DUI x 2
LB: Dave Wilcox, Keena Turner, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman
DB: Ronnie Lott, Jimmy Johnson, Deion Sanders (can you count him? Yes you can! SB#5)
K: Consistency: Ray Wershing; Best Season: David Akers
P: Andy Lee; Steve Spurrier (yes, Spurrier was a good 49ers punter!)
Coaches: Walsh, Seifert, Harbaugh
Honorable Mention: Eric Wright, Terrell Owens, Tom Rathman

You're still short one DB...unless you plan to run goal line or 46 every other down...