There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Frank Gore a Top-10 All Time 49er?

  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,105
There's no doubt in my mind that Gore is the greatest 49ers runningback of all time.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,346
Originally posted by mayo49:
There's no doubt in my mind that Gore is the greatest 49ers runningback of all time.
i love roger craig and i love vic washington(guilty pleasure there with vic) but I think mayo's statement is sound
There is something to be said for limiting the players picked per era too. I think Gore makes it for many because he has been there for us through the hard times and is here today now that things have turned around. I know you can list a ton of guys from the 80s, early 90s and a bunch of guys from the 60s but sometimes all ships rise with the tide, and then the rose colored glasses you have for that era make you think every great player who played then should be a top ten Niner. Hell I don't think even being a top ten player in the league at your time should make you a lock as a top ten Niner. Should Deon be counted? He was only here for a year after all....sometimes it's about your contribution to Niners nation, not just on the field.
Originally posted by mayo49:
There's no doubt in my mind that Gore is the greatest 49ers runningback of all time.

Anyone who knows me is aware of how much I love Roger Craig...but this statement is right on the money. Gore is an all timer.
I just cannot place Gore ahead of Roger Craig at this point. Let Gore get his last season in and then see. Craig was and should be a Hall of Fame RB. From 1984-1989, there was NOT a more productive RB in the NFL period. Craig did it all, ran, blocked, caught passes, two minute drill, short yeardage etc etc etc.
comparing different positions is just stupid, they each have different value.

Gore is the best RB the Niners have ever had
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 894
Gore is the best 49ers RB of all time.

I don't get into comparing different positions because that's like asking a chef "Which one is better, you stove or your refrigerator?"
Originally posted by trellblaze:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Top 10 49ers, yes. HOF, no. Craig > Gore.

Here's a guy that I'm assuming watched both players their entire career (Craig was getting close to the end when I understood the game).

Joecool, would you please give us details on why you would take Craig over Gore (If I'm correct in my assumption, that is)?

Gore is the best runner we have ever had But Craig allowed for the offense to be more multidimensional. Craig made a greater all around impact.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I just cannot place Gore ahead of Roger Craig at this point. Let Gore get his last season in and then see. Craig was and should be a Hall of Fame RB. From 1984-1989, there was NOT a more productive RB in the NFL period. Craig did it all, ran, blocked, caught passes, two minute drill, short yeardage etc etc etc.


Well, Roger was a hyper kinetic textbook knee high runner with great hands. Great swiss army knife. Always initiated the collision. Great runner! A classic.

Gore is different. He's a vision genius. So quick to recognize a developing seam, and react! He's different than the other greats. It's a different style. How can defenders stop him? The defense has to commit to meet their blocks. When they commit, Gore goes elsewhere.

If Gore had Joe/Steve throwing to him in the WCO, he would also have 10K in the air.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Sep 29, 2013 at 8:34 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Gore is the best runner we have ever had But Craig allowed for the offense to be more multidimensional. Craig made a greater all around impact.


I think Gore would have shown more performance playing for Walsh/Montana than Craig would have had with the lousy 9er clubs of the 2000's.

Above, I mean comparing to the original player performance, i.e. Gore for Craig in 80's, Craig for Gore in 2000's.

And, of course, either player would outperform 99.9% of everyone else.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Sep 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM ]
Originally posted by Chrs0049:
Gore vs. Craig in their primes, who you got

Craig. He was more of a threat to score on any touch, Roger had a multifaceted game, run, catch, block, and play from multiple formation. Frank is a more consistent power back, but he is average unless he is in the I-formation, then he just might be the most unstoppable runner I've ever seen, and while Frank is a great blocker, I think we can all agree his pass catching skills are below average. He is certainly not a threat to score from anywhere on the field, about 35-45 yards is about Franks distance, he runs out of gas after that. Craig, set NFL records, Gore sets "lifetime" team records, huge difference.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Gore is the best runner we have ever had But Craig allowed for the offense to be more multidimensional. Craig made a greater all around impact.


I think Gore would have shown more performance playing for Walsh/Montana than Craig would have had with the lousy 9er clubs of the 2000's.

Above, I mean comparing to the original player performance, i.e. Gore for Craig in 80's, Craig for Gore in 2000's.

And, of course, either player would outperform 99.9% of everyone else.

Gore would not have played for Walsh, his pass catching skills would not meet Walsh's standards. Also since Walsh used very little I-formation, mostly split back, Gore would not have had the chance to showcase his greatest skill. Also back under Walsh the Niners ran lots of toss sweep, and Gore is not particularly suited to the sweep, and the zone, stretch blocking schemes employed by Walsh, may or may not have been suited to Gores style. Walsh would have used Gore if he inherited him, but Walsh never would have drafted Gore.

Walsh also never used Shotgun so that might have been a plus for Frank.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Sep 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM ]
There was certainly no better workhorse in modern day football than Roger Craig.

I'm not under the impression that Gore's pass catching skills are below average.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Sep 29, 2013 at 9:02 AM ]
Leo Nomellini,Joe Perry,Hugh McElhenny,Y.A. Tittle,John Henry Johnson,Bob St. Clair,Jimmy, Johnson,Joe Montana,Ronnie Lott,Dave Wilcox,Steve Young, Fred Dean, and Jerry Rice, all Hall Of Famers, who are you going to bump to add Frank?

http://www.49ers.com/team/history/hall-of-famers.html
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Gore would not have played for Walsh, his pass catching skills would not meet Walsh's standards. Also since Walsh used very little I-formation, mostly split back, Gore would not have had the chance to showcase his greatest skill. Also back under Walsh the Niners ran lots of toss sweep, and Gore is not particularly suited to the sweep, and the zone, stretch blocking schemes employed by Walsh, may or may not have been suited to Gores style. Walsh would have used Gore if he inherited him, but Walsh never would have drafted Gore.

Walsh also never used Shotgun so that might have been a plus for Frank.


Being an actual creative thinker, Walsh may have modified some of his run strategy to take advantage of the talent he had.

I see Gore working well in a split back situation, complementing and participating in the WCO pass game. I have to think about your other points. I think Gore does best getting the ball 7 yards in the backfield and looking. But I also think he is productive in other sets too, as long as the success of the play is not predicated on speed around the corner.