LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 346 users in the forums

Is Frank Gore a Top-10 All Time 49er?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Best RB in 49ers history
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Hearst was WAYYY Overrated. Gore has been a better 49er than Hearst.

While I agree Gore is better than Hearst, I don't think GH was that overrated. He was a threat to score from anywhere on the field, and he fought his way back from plenty of injuries too. Dude was pretty awesome.
Originally posted by swayze:

While I agree Gore is better than Hearst, I don't think GH was that overrated. He was a threat to score from anywhere on the field, and he fought his way back from plenty of injuries too. Dude was pretty awesome.
He was. If he didn't get injured we win in ATL and we win the Super Bowl that year
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by swayze:

He was. If he didn't get injured we win in ATL and we win the Super Bowl that year

Hearst was robbed in a couple ways on that account, 1) we win the Super Bowl (and his standing in the all-time lists goes up too) and 2) he doesn't miss the NEXT TWO FREAKING YEARS.

I will always hate the Falcons.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chrs0049:
Gore vs. Craig in their primes, who you got

Gore, easily.
[ Edited by Chief on Sep 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM ]
Yes
Originally posted by Chief:
Gore, easily.

As a pure runner, yes - but remember Craig revolutionized the position. I think it's much closer than you think.

When it comes to pass protection, Gore might be the best I've ever seen - period. That's something he'll never get due credit for because it's not a fantasy stat...
  • dj43
Originally posted by trellblaze:
Originally posted by Chief:
Gore, easily.

As a pure runner, yes - but remember Craig revolutionized the position. I think it's much closer than you think.

When it comes to pass protection, Gore might be the best I've ever seen - period. That's something he'll never get due credit for because it's not a fantasy stat...

Gore is a very good power runner and that is about where it stops. Craig was a great all-round football player.

As you said, Craig revolutionized the RB position with his ability to both run AND catch. He wasn't asked to pass protect because that was the fullback's job most of the time but he was a very good blocker when asked. His high leg drive made him very difficult to bring down one-on-one. He didn't run over tacklers like Gore does but his piston leg action made just as many of them miss. Craig doesn't have the rushing numbers Gore has because while Gore has been the main weapon for most of his career, Craig was just one of many offensive weapons on the team during his career.

I've seen both of them their entire careers and I love Frank Gore but Roger Craig was a better all-round football player. The preference for Gore here is due in large part to the age of most posters, IMO.
Originally posted by dj43:
Gore is a very good power runner and that is about where it stops. Craig was a great all-round football player.

As you said, Craig revolutionized the RB position with his ability to both run AND catch. He wasn't asked to pass protect because that was the fullback's job most of the time but he was a very good blocker when asked. His high leg drive made him very difficult to bring down one-on-one. He didn't run over tacklers like Gore does but his piston leg action made just as many of them miss. Craig doesn't have the rushing numbers Gore has because while Gore has been the main weapon for most of his career, Craig was just one of many offensive weapons on the team during his career.

I've seen both of them their entire careers and I love Frank Gore but Roger Craig was a better all-round football player. The preference for Gore here is due in large part to the age of most posters, IMO.

see above re: pass pro. Gore is much more than just a power runner. And I don't know that discussion of Craig isn't still tainted by that...ahem...fumble...

I have been watching niners games since I was nine years old (1980), Roger Craig was great in his day, but Gore is the best the niners have ever had. He did more with less talent around him and worse coaches. I am in no way trying to lessen what Craig did, but as a running back Gore is just all around better.

It's hard for me to say which one was better because they're so different yet you could make strong arguments for each one's importance to the team's success.

I will say that Craig was SOOOOOOO smooth, though. I have another level of respect for guys who made it look easy - like Rice. He's known as the hardest worker in sports but at times it looked like he (and Montana) were running a glorified walk-through on game day. Craig often had that same appearance.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Gore_21:
If you include Joe Perry's AAFC (folded after 1949, 9ers Join NFL in 50) yards (which the NFL doesn't in the stat book) he had 9723 and 2021 receiving. Gore has 9134 and 2687. So 11821 for Gore, Perry 11744... Gore has more all purpose yards but is still technically 589 away from tying Perry although since they don't count AAFC's yards for the NFL Perry had like 7344 so Gore passed him long ago for that. So assuming no injuries Gore should pass him for real and truly cement himself as the 49ers all time leading rusher.

If you are looking for a list of the 49ers all time leading rushers here it is:
http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/alltime-rushing

I think these guys would be in my top 9. It depends if you rank them based on career or per season.
Frank Gore, Roger Craig, Joe Perry, Hugh McElhenny, Ken Willard, JD Smith, Garrison Hearst, Ricky Watters and Charlie Garner

Hearst, Watters and Garner had amazing years but there stay with us was way too short. And to the question is he a top 10 9er I say yes he should be somewhere near the bottom of the top 10.
Hard to compare Perry to Gore just based on raw numbers.

Gore plays 16 games/year. Perry played when the season was only 12 games. If Perry had played 16 games/season, Gore would have to play till he was 35 to catch him.

Also, Perry shared carries with Hugh McElhenny and John Henry Johnson, two HOF RBs. As a result, over the 10 years from 1950 to 1959, Perry only averaged 11 carries game. Gore has been the featured back ever since he took over from Barlow and got most of the carries. As a result, Gore averaged 15 carries/game from 2006 through 2012. On that basis, I would argue Perry was a much more productive back than Gore.

EDIT: Gore has played in 40 more games than Perry while averaging 15 carries/game. That is 600 more carries.
[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
yes.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I have been watching niners games since I was nine years old (1980), Roger Craig was great in his day, but Gore is the best the niners have ever had. He did more with less talent around him and worse coaches. I am in no way trying to lessen what Craig did, but as a running back Gore is just all around better.

Different running styles but I do not agree that Craig could not have put up similar numbers if he had been in the same situation as Gore. OTOH, I believe Walsh would have turned Gore into a much better pass receiver than he has been. That part of his game looked promising early in his career but seems to have faded completely under Harbaugh.

To be honest, we are talking about two very good football players, both of whom SHOULD be in the HOF someday.
  • dj43
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
1. Frank Gore
2. Roger Craig
3. Hugh Mcelhenny
4. Ricky Watters
5. Garrison Hearst
6. Joe Johnson

Yes, No?
I think you mean John Henry Johnson. Had some great years here, was traded to Pittsburgh and where he completed a HOF career.
Share 49ersWebzone