There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Declining the safety

2 reasons why I think this was very foolish:

1. The spread was 7.5 or 8...accepting the safety means we would have covered...now I totally understand Harbaugh never ever ever altering how he PLAYS the end to accomodate the betters, but he didn't have to CHANGE anything, just accept the penalty! Because IMO it actually IS slightly advantageous to the team to cover because you WANT people to bet on you because that means more people hoping you win which means potentially more people cheering making the crowd a bigger factor when the other team's offense is on the field. Sure it's a stretch and again, I wouldn't alter/risk anything to ensure covering, but if it's right there on the table and you don't even have to do anything to get it, take it! (not to mention he went for 2 vs. Carroll at the end in the what's your deal game when up by a million, so why turn down free points here)

2, and more importantly, suppose something bizarre happened on a kneeldown like a fumbled QB/center exchange or Carroll going Schiano on us, etc., why would you want it to be a 1 possession game and leave even a 0.00001% chance of losing when you can completely slam the door shut even more by making it a 2 possession game? It's one thing it it would have made it go from a 4 point game to a 6 point game or an 18 point game to a 20 point game or something, but this would have made it go from a 1 possession game to a 2 possession game which can be significant! (and we would have gotten the ball either way so it's not like there would have been a difference in terms of who would have the ball)
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,023
Dude you're so off base on your 2nd point.

The entire reason he declined the safety was to prevent the chance of giving Seattle the ball to try an onside punt, expose the team to injury, and just plain extend the game to a point where it was unnecessary?

Why take the safety when you can decline the penalty and take the kneel down? Remember the other 30 teams in the NFL that aren't from Tampa don't try and crash the QB in victory formation.
Harbaugh made the right call. Game over.
harbaugh was in a mad panic, didn't realize the score was more than 8 with the safety. end of story. He said so in a post game presser. Not in those words, but he thought they could onside kick and win the game if we took the safety.
Originally posted by sfout:
Dude you're so off base on your 2nd point.

The entire reason he declined the safety was to prevent the chance of giving Seattle the ball to try an onside punt, expose the team to injury, and just plain extend the game to a point where it was unnecessary?

Why take the safety when you can decline the penalty and take the kneel down? Remember the other 30 teams in the NFL that aren't from Tampa don't try and crash the QB in victory formation.

I feel you man, but even if they recovered an onside punt (which is an even way lower chance than recovering an onside kick), it still would have been a 2 possession game...they would have needed to recover an onside punt, score a TD, recover an onside kick, and kick a FG, all in what, like 50 seconds? Vs. something bizarre happening on a kneeldown and then getting one score...I think the first scenario sounds WAY more unlikely, but that's just my opinion...
It's already being talked about all over the board.

1. Harbaugh doesn't give a s**t about spreads. You are way over thinking that part.

2. what are the odds of something going wrong on a kneel down? Plus I think he was thinking less chance of injury. Kneel down no chance, squib/onside a lot bigger chance with us possibly having to go back out on defense. Seattle could have squib punted it or drop kick punted it and it would have been a live ball for them to recover after 10 yards. If they recover it it would take a TD or field goal... and then an onside and a td/fg to win. It's not impossible, one bad blown coverage and they get 7 points and it's a whole new game with them down 2 points with say 20 or so seconds left with an onsider and one long pass in you could be in field goal range to win it. Again, would be a miracle but it's possible. I think the main thing was injury. Why have the defense and ST go out and get beat up some more after a brutal game when you can kneel it and win?
Because Brandon Jacobs told the Seahawks we wouldnt be expecting an onside kick and they should try it.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
harbaugh was in a mad panic, didn't realize the score was more than 8 with the safety. end of story. He said so in a post game presser. Not in those words, but he thought they could onside kick and win the game if we took the safety.

ok, will have to see that because that changes everyone's thoughts. it was chaotic... i thought he got the 1st down even after seeing the replay although I was on a bit of blurry stream.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
It's already being talked about all over the board.

1. Harbaugh doesn't give a s**t about spreads. You are way over thinking that part.

2. what are the odds of something going wrong on a kneel down? Plus I think he was thinking less chance of injury. Kneel down no chance, squib/onside a lot bigger chance with us possibly having to go back out on defense. Seattle could have squib punted it or drop kick punted it and it would have been a live ball for them to recover after 10 yards. If they recover it it would take a TD or field goal... and then an onside and a td/fg to win. It's not impossible, one bad blown coverage and they get 7 points and it's a whole new game with them down 2 points with say 20 or so seconds left with an onsider and one long pass in you could be in field goal range to win it. Again, would be a miracle but it's possible. I think the main thing was injury. Why have the defense and ST go out and get beat up some more after a brutal game when you can kneel it and win?

Obviously either scenario would have required a miracle, I just think you can NEVER exhale in a one possession game but in a multi-possession game it's possible to...it comes down to something bizarre happening on a snap and then them needing merely one score vs. recovering TWO onsides and getting TWO scores...the first scenario seems like there's a 0.1% chance of losing but the 2nd feels like 0.000000000000001% chance of losing
You're completely off base. We won; the game is over. Jim would have received a ton of criticism if they kick off and we lose one of our best offensive players to an injury on a play that doesn't need to happen. We won - stop your baby-crying. Screw Vegas.
WTF.
Originally posted by Painter49er:
You're completely off base. We won; the game is over. Jim would have received a ton of criticism if they kick off and we lose one of our best offensive players to an injury on a play that doesn't need to happen. We won - stop your baby-crying. Screw Vegas.

Grow up dude, I had a thought and decided to post it, you don't need to reply if you don't like it. I just think a messed up QB/center exchance isn't exactly ridiculously rare (I mean c'mon, it does happen in football fairly frequently). Recovering 2 onsides (1 being a punt) and getting 2 scores all in like 50 seconds seems way more unfathomable...sure we wound up winning, doesn't mean we can't discuss thoughts...People discuss things they didn't like seeing in games all the time here, even if we wound up winning, that's not the point. Just because I post my thought doesn't mean I'm crying, holy crap.

And sure Jim would have received a ton of criticism if we forced them to kickoff and someone got hurt, but don't you also think he would have received a ton of criticism if there was a fumbled snap on a kneeldown? Obviously if that happened everyone would have been saying 'stupid Harbaugh could have made it a 2 possession game.' It goes both ways.
[ Edited by lordfangio on Oct 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM ]
Exactly okdkid - the dumbest thing I've ever heard. A kneel down is the greatest thing as a Niner fan...period (gee...it's called the victory formation for a reason). A chance of them getting the ball back in any way, shape, or form is just....DUMB.
Lordfangio, I'm just busting your chops! Of course I was screaming your same thought at the TV when it happened. We won though - nothing to sweat anymore.
Originally posted by lordfangio:
Obviously either scenario would have required a miracle, I just think you can NEVER exhale in a one possession game but in a multi-possession game it's possible to...it comes down to something bizarre happening on a snap and then them needing merely one score vs. recovering TWO onsides and getting TWO scores...the first scenario seems like there's a 0.1% chance of losing but the 2nd feels like 0.000000000000001% chance of losing

Yeah, but before hearing Harbaughs thoughts as chaz said harbaugh though it was an 8 point game or something like that I was thinking the main concern is injury. 0 percent chance of injury on a kneel down unless you are playing the bucs. chances of squib punt injury on onside, very great plus you put the defense back out on the field. Already been a brutal game, chance of injury is much greater on a play like below. Also, why put the defense back out there if they recover it.


Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home