There are 166 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why doesn't Roman EVER call screens?

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
middle scrrens to hunter = $$$$$

Would be killer to see, especially with our athletic line.

Hunter + Space = Big Gains
screens to hunter

two that worked last year for huge gains came against Philly and Pittsburgh
LMJ is the perfect player for the screen, and he has yet to suit up. AJ Jenkins would be effective on bubble screens, has yet to suit up. The team needs big plays, that's what these two guys do. In no way, shape or form are these guys busts. Coach is sharp he'll have them on the field soon, maybe against the Seahawks.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
LMJ is the perfect player for the screen, and he has yet to suit up. AJ Jenkins would be effective on bubble screens, has yet to suit up. The team needs big plays, that's what these two guys do. In no way, shape or form are these guys busts. Coach is sharp he'll have them on the field soon, maybe against the Seahawks.

Would be nice
We don't run many because Gore gets the majority of snaps and the screen play is not one of his strengths. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, but it takes him a while to gather himself and burst up field after the reception. Not a knock on Gore, we're just playing to his strengths.
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
A screen would be nice once or twice a half. You know what else would be nice? If Frank f**king Gore carried the ball once in the 2nd half.

this.
I don't know. I mean, to me, its just basic. Everyone has it. A well called/timed screen is demoralizing to a blitzing defense. Look how effective the Saints were with it using Sproles. I get that maybe Gore isn't the #1 option but we have Hunter and soon LMJ.

It's "Constraint Theory"- that is making the defense have to think about everything, vertical/horizontal stuff, screens, draws, traps, sweeps, slants, double moves, with the idea that even the best defense can't defend everything at once with any particular play call or scheme.
[ Edited by GoldandGarnet on Oct 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
i honestly think they're saving a s**t ton of plays for later. Sounds dumb, but I think that's the case. I also believe that's why we haven't seen LMJ.

lol
  • kush
  • Veteran
It's cuz we're screwing around with these dadgum wildkrap plays. Lets get back to the basics.
Originally posted by chrisernst82:
Would be killer to see, especially with our athletic line.

Hunter + Space = Big Gains

Yep, absolutely no idea why we don't do more especially against great pass rushing teams. Last year he said he didn't do it against the Ravens who had 9 sacks because we didn't work on it enough and weren't ready to use it. That was week 10, 11, 12???. So what's the excuse this year. No idea why they haven't gotten some to Gore and especially Hunter. Like I said it would help against the good pass rushing teams. We've never been a big screen team but that should change.

Notice how teams do it against us and usually we aren't smart enough to read it. It happened against the Giants and luckily Willis made the tackle or it could have been a bigger gain. And the one Ray tipped and Willis int'd against the Jets could have been a 50 yarder if that hadn't happened because all of our guys fell for it.
One of the other reasons we dont see alot of screens, is that the defensive backs are not threatened with deep threats. So in obvious pass rush situations, they are currently pressing hard on our receivers and jumping routes. This means they are never real far from the line of scrimmage. So even if we get a pass completed to a back, the dbs, and non rushing lbs, are coming in and blowing it up. Until you have the ability to strike on long plays in one-on-one coverage against the blitz, you will not be a good screen team. This is my observaton anyway.
Ok, take for instance though, that a screen could get called at any time. Why only do it it's obvious and predictable? I don't think Walsh advocated that. His thinking was to attack and call everything on any given down. And just becuase a screen is called, doesn't mean it's the only option on a given play. There could be a progression built in, like any other play. If they aren't respecting the deep ball, got to make them pay. Everytime the D takes something away, they give something up. If you never call it, they'll never have to respect it, prepare for it or think about it. They can just pin their ears back and keep jumping routes. No matter how good a D is, they can't cover everything all the time.
[ Edited by GoldandGarnet on Oct 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM ]
Ask Roman. Good passing teams like NO use it as a staple. It forces defenses to slow down their rush and allows Brees more time to find targets the rest of the time.

I just don't think it fits in with their "power running/pass when we must" philosophy.

The mark of a good coach is knowing when to adjust. Let's hope JH has learned by Thursday night because Seattle will bring a very good DL that will put pressure on Smith. If Roman doesn't find a way to slow down that rush, it could be a long night.
im more concerned about roman acting like this is college football with all the retarded pistol offense s**t. they need to get real and get that passing game goin, AND STOP LIMITING GORE SO MUCH!!!
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by BayArea:
I always wondered. When Alex's head is locked on the guy he wants to throw the ball too. While at home I can see this, I have to wonder what the defense is thinking. The guys who do this for a living and can sniff a telegraphed throw a mile away. I mean if I know who he wants to throw it to, is it even possible the defense doesn't? I am saddened that Andrew Luck already is efficient at things like that and Alex can't even fool nobody fans at home with a beer in their hand.

Got this one wrong. One new thing about Alex this year is he has gotten much better at looking in one direction if for no other reason than to throw it to another. It's not every time, but show me a QB that does do it every time.

I will kindly eat my words if you can show one bit of video evidence of this. He seems locked on his target every passing play. I was trying to convince myself all season that Alex had more than one read and failed to find anything to back that up.

I feel last year he did do a lot better with this, but this year he's regressed. He often looks down his first target and eventually throws it to him. Not 100% of the time, but I still see him do it a lot.

Yes agreed.