LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Week 6: Thoughts after watching the game(couldn't bring myself to watch it again yet)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Anthony Davis could have done better in pass protect on the 1st Smith INT. Smith had to side step the rush before he threw late to Delanie. Giving the defender on Manningham to peeled off to make the pick.
I just watched the first quarter and a half and saw plenty of open receivers, including Manningham open down the middle of the field on the first interception. Smith is reluctant to throw the ball to when he needs to. He has to do a better job of reading the defence. Last year the Giants D game planned to stop Gore and clearly this week they game planned to stop Alex. Its as much of a compliment as it is a challenge for Alex and he HAS to do a better job of rising to meet the challenge. We are only going to go as far as he can take us.
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
I just watched the first quarter and a half and saw plenty of open receivers, including Manningham open down the middle of the field on the first interception. Smith is reluctant to throw the ball to when he needs to. He has to do a better job of reading the defence. Last year the Giants D game planned to stop Gore and clearly this week they game planned to stop Alex. Its as much of a compliment as it is a challenge for Alex and he HAS to do a better job of rising to meet the challenge. We are only going to go as far as he can take us.

Manningham only got open because Delanie had already had a couple of steps on his defender and Smith saw that. Problem was Smith threw late to Delanie. Defender on Manningham peeled off once he saw Smith looked Delanie's way to try for the pick. Smith had to side step the rush on his blind side after the playaction.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 16, 2012 at 8:26 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I rewatched the game and here is what I got:

horrible effort by walker on int, he had position but decided let's just tackle amukamara after he int'd it. didn't really try to break it up, just tackled him.. he kind of jumped late

domnated the 1st 16 minutes of the game, they barely had any yards.. 11:24 to 3:36, 120 to 24 yards offense, only up 3-0

0 sacks given up after 1 quarter, 1 at halftime

The 150 given up on the ground i am not worried about because 100 of it came after we seemed to give up...

held them to 193 passing yards... really didn't do that bad, we gave up a few 20 and 30 yarders though... a lot of throws were good coverage but just great accuracy by manning/great catches

not sure why we keep putting carlos on cruz... i know carlos is the slot guy and cruz goes into the slot at times but I'd just move carlos around and have someone like culliver/brown shadow cruz

williams needs to hit the whole if he stays kr... his best returns are when he does that, he tried to run backwards and out run everybody too any times this game

1st sack, not sure if anyone was open, looking left at crabtree who was well covered, maybe should have got it to gore in flats, by the time he looked at gore he was not looking back and anthony basically had a nice block and let his guy go... alex should have gotten rid of it but our guys once again dont realize they should block to the whistle

delay of game with 2 timeouts left before half before we punted...went from punting at 30 to 25, not smart... good thing it was good coverage... side note on punt coverage too many gunners diving at legs of returner as he catches it instead of breaking down

I think this is an entirely different game if akers hits those 2 fg's.. they weren't easy but he still should have hit them... 10-3 at half instead of 10-9, we did block one of theirs though... kick return at start of 3rd quarter to our 32, also leonard davis false start on 3rd and 1 to 3rd and 6 and then the int...we were down 17-3 but maybe we turn it into 17-10 or 17-6 instead of 20-3

1st int ball sailed on alex, had a hand in swipe in front of him, not sure it hit his arm... in press conference he said he seen mario get held (looked at it, maybe but didnt see it... said he threw it his way to get the flag... alex, never ever ever trust the refs to throw a flag

dropped int by rogers, possible big return, cost us 3... would have been still 17-3

2nd sack, down 20-3 and we are play actioning it which left less time for alex to throw, staley gets beat by osi, boones guy beats him... boone does a stupid thing holding alex up when alex was trying to throw it away but couldnt with boone holding him...

3rd and 4 if he throws it away, instead 3rd and 11 followed by delay of game... 2nd pick, think rolle baited and stepped in front of crabtree, not enough for 1st down anyways... alex forced it, blame delay of game and boone/staley giving up the sack as much as alex for the killed drive... would have been 3rd and 4 instead it's 3rd and 16 and a pick..23-3

again, instead of 3-4 wr spread offense we go 1 wr, 2 te and are running play action/options... dumb

big 55 yarder to moss, could be 23-10 with about a quarter and a few minutes to play... instead...

3rd sack given up... we go with kap, again play action this time to nobody, holds ball too long should have got rid of it, 2nd and 21 and then we put alex back in and f him over...

kap high throw to open moss, 2nd and 10 another stupid f ing option, lead to 3rd and 10, oh, here you go alex... pick it up... he runs for a few yards, we were just stupid today..

one of the sacks was on l davis for sure, one on 4th and 3 the entire pocket collapsed, kap looking to run it first instead of throw... was skipping ahead so missed one of the sacks given up

Good analysis. Yeah I think in large part this loss was due to gameplan and coaching. We really had some poor play calling throughout the game. The first quarter we dominated. After that we had some really s**tty play calling and those uncharacteristic interceptions by Alex really killed us. I chalk this loss up to mostly coaching and play calling. Also, our pass rush just isn't effective. Maybe we need to rotate pass rushers like we did last year, but the problem is we don't really have anyone to rotate in. Anyways, hopefully our play calling isn't so s**tty this Thursday. We are a very good team we just had a bad day in all aspects, especially coaching. We need to address the pass rush, not have s**tty play calling like that again, and stick to what we did so well last year and that was the turnover differential. I honestly think we are a better team than the Giants, we just didn't come out to play. We'll get back on track this Thursday. We are going to destroy Seattle.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Manningham only got open because Delanie had already had a couple of steps on his defender and Smith saw that. Problem was Smith threw late to Delanie. Defender on Manningham peeled off once he saw Smith looked Delanie's way to try for the pick. Smith had to side step the rush on his blind side after the playaction.

Manningham was given a free release of the line and was open over the middle of the field. Smith just has to throw that ball earlier. Manningham was also open on the third down drop by Crabtree. If the Giants were double teaming Davis someone HAS to be open.
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Marvin, as I have said before, I think your summaries are superb, and I look forward to reading them. But this week you came up short too. I can't blame you. It was painful. You shoulda mentioned that the special teams, except for T. Brown's blocked kick, were terrible. They opened the second half by giving up a huge KO return. And the idea, mentioned several times in this thread, that we lose because we don't run the ball is mostly backwards. We don't run the ball because we are way behind.

I hope you have lots of great points to make after the Seattle game!

Totally disagree....well not about my own substandard performance, but about the run game.

The 49ers were passing the ball like crazy right out of the gate. In addition, when they got down against Philly last year, they roared back AND NEVER STOPPED RUNNING THE BALL. Alex isn't going to rip up a D when they are expecting Pass. It's not gonna happen. They needed to maintain the run game.
Duplicate post.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Totally disagree....well not about my own substandard performance, but about the run game.

The 49ers were passing the ball like crazy right out of the gate. In addition, when they got down against Philly last year, they roared back AND NEVER STOPPED RUNNING THE BALL. Alex isn't going to rip up a D when they are expecting Pass. It's not gonna happen. They needed to maintain the run game.

The bolded isn't exactly true, unless I am misunderstanding. We were in pass mode from the start of the 3rd quarter to the last drive to kill time.. talking 19 pass plays vs 8 run plays. But if you mean, sprinkled in runs.. then I hear ya.
I deleted that piece of $hit game ,
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
good analysis. I look forward to your re-caps more than ANY of the beat writers. Maybe you should sell your writing to the Cohns?

this!

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Haha, I did the same thing and then found myself wanting to watch some of the moronic carousel antics and some of the Int's to get a better feel. But it probably would of been miserable to do so.

just a bad game for ST and the offense, with the D it wasn't so much that they weren't covering Cruz and others well, it's that b*****d Eli makes top level NFL throws where only his WR can get it. I wish we had someone, anyone on our roster that could make even some of these throws. But the D held well even after sloppy turnovers of Alex just being doped and throwing into crowded areas, I think we have to establish some more things outside of slants and wheel routes as go to plays. Heavy doses of HB swing passes and screens with Hunter, and mixing in Moss' skill set would be a nice start
Originally posted by jcashen87:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Haha, I did the same thing and then found myself wanting to watch some of the moronic carousel antics and some of the Int's to get a better feel. But it probably would of been miserable to do so.

just a bad game for ST and the offense, with the D it wasn't so much that they weren't covering Cruz and others well, it's that b*****d Eli makes top level NFL throws where only his WR can get it. I wish we had someone, anyone on our roster that could make even some of these throws. But the D held well even after sloppy turnovers of Alex just being doped and throwing into crowded areas, I think we have to establish some more things outside of slants and wheel routes as go to plays. Heavy doses of HB swing passes and screens with Hunter, and mixing in Moss' skill set would be a nice start

SCREENS? Screens? What screens? What are screens? Roman.......call screens?

No such thing. He must hate screens. Roman is all about the jet-sweeps, and the Kaeper-Cat. No screens for 2 years now. That is inexplicable.
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
SCREENS? Screens? What screens? What are screens? Roman.......call screens?

No such thing. He must hate screens. Roman is all about the jet-sweeps, and the Kaeper-Cat. No screens for 2 years now. That is inexplicable.

The handful that we have run have been generally failures, due to poor OL pull blocks.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Good analysis. Yeah I think in large part this loss was due to gameplan and coaching. We really had some poor play calling throughout the game. The first quarter we dominated. After that we had some really s**tty play calling and those uncharacteristic interceptions by Alex really killed us. I chalk this loss up to mostly coaching and play calling. Also, our pass rush just isn't effective. Maybe we need to rotate pass rushers like we did last year, but the problem is we don't really have anyone to rotate in. Anyways, hopefully our play calling isn't so s**tty this Thursday. We are a very good team we just had a bad day in all aspects, especially coaching. We need to address the pass rush, not have s**tty play calling like that again, and stick to what we did so well last year and that was the turnover differential. I honestly think we are a better team than the Giants, we just didn't come out to play. We'll get back on track this Thursday. We are going to destroy Seattle.

Yeah, not defending alex's ints... I think he forced them but we didn't help putting him in bad situations. I know we are a better team than that and I think we hang tough with them if we didn't outsmart ourselves. One thing I didn't like is in Fangio's press conference he said people want to look at stats and say we aren't getting the sacks but he said we are still getting pressure and he doesn't consider the pass rush a problem. I don't know... I can understand that concept but I don't think we got that much pressure either at times and in some games. I might start blitzing more and playing more press coverage. Obviously, he wont if he sees nothing wrong with the pass rush.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 16, 2012 at 8:50 PM ]
Watched the first offensive possessions again this morning while at the gym. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were left scratching their heads after they pulled Alex out of the game on that 3rd down before Akers' missed FG, Buck's comment was "I know that you (Troy) would have hated watching someone else come in on a third down for you." Aikman tried to turn it into a positive about how selfless Alex was but you could tell they didn't get that playcall. In retrospect a harbinger of the problems we would have game management wise...likewise on that first INT a lot of it was on Alex--missed Rio wide open in the middle of the field, and his pass to floated on him--but at the same time the coaches had no business sending D. Love on that deep route. He hasn't been delivering this season, what did they think was going to happen.
Share 49ersWebzone