There are 218 users in the forums

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TT49ers:
I think that E. Manning could of had 2-3 picks as well, The only difference was that Giants WR's and DB's made plays on the ball. (D. Walker could of prevented the first pick. While C. Rogers could of had 2, if he made plays on the 2 throws where Eli hit him in the hands.

The first pick by Alex was a deep pass that had to much air under it. This allow the db to track it down and pick it off. This one was like the pass that Eli threw to V. Cruz, where C. Rogers had a chance at an INT. The difference was V. Cruz attacked the ball, instead of watching it fall in C. Rogers hands.

The second pick and third pick where forced throws, which where bad reads by Alex. The one intended to M. Manningham was high and there where 3 Giant defenders surrounding him. It had to be a perfect throw if it was going to be completed.

The other pick was to Crabtree, where Alex tried to look off the defender to the left side of the field and come back and throw to Crabs on the right side of the field. I don't know who was really at fault. I don't know if Crabs was suppose to sit and Alex was suppose to hit that spot or was Crabs suppose to cross the db's face and not have the db undercut that pass.

Really good post. I can tell you really paid attention. Stick around.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I would have taken a overthrow ... Things are not perfect but to put in a WRs head that they have to fight for ever pass means that they will not be looking at the ball but who's around them

Why is crabs a possession receiver?, because he has no idea where AS is going to throw it

Can someone make sense of this entire post, please.
I think the pass rush had something to do with it as well. It looked like the Giants secondary only had to guard the middle to shollow parts of the field for most of the day. The only exception was the Moss catch. That front four is really talented and hasn't played up to their potential all year until they got up for us. Last year we beat them in the regular season and lost in the playoffs. I hope we reverse that trend this year, and then this game wouldn't matter.
I can't wait to come back to this thread after Seattle. I hope I can come in here to praise Alex's performance. I damn sure will have this thread on my mind watching my receivers this game.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I can't wait to come back to this thread after Seattle. I hope I can come in here to praise Alex's performance. I damn sure will have this thread on my mind watching my receivers this game.

Yep. This will be a good secondary for our WRs/TEs to go up against and prove they can play hard and make tough plays.
Moss ran down the field with two guys on deeper jump ball route

Walker ran into a opening in the zone wide open...want to see what it looks like when the QB puts some strength in the throw?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000056915/Walker-32-yard-touchdown-catch

Difference might be the OLB covering Walker short in the SD game, versus a safety in the NY game. Just a thought.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Moss ran down the field with two guys on deeper jump ball route

Walker ran into a opening in the zone wide open...want to see what it looks like when the QB puts some strength in the throw?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000056915/Walker-32-yard-touchdown-catch

Difference might be the OLB covering Walker short in the SD game, versus a safety in the NY game. Just a thought.

and the olb in question is probably bagging groceries at safeway now
Kyle Williams is explosive after the catch and Moss still has the speed to beat defenders.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Yep. This will be a good secondary for our WRs/TEs to go up against and prove they can play hard and make tough plays.

I hope Alex lights it up vs SEA. They blitz which Alex can handle but their DBs can also handle their own blitz. All phases in the passing game will need to work extra tough and be ready to scrap.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I hope Alex lights it up vs SEA. They blitz which Alex can handle but their DBs can also handle their own blitz. All phases in the passing game will need to work extra tough and be ready to scrap.

I hope you really mean that. Yep. Gonna be a rough game.. not even in a mood to predict this one. Whatever happens, it will say a lot about our team.. our QB.. our WRs.. our coaching. If we do lose (even if just barely) but win the next one vs AZ, we would still be 5-3 headed into the bye. Not exactly where we want to be... but not too bad and wouldn't mean our division hopes are crushed.

... really want this W badly though.

• dj43
Gonna be a rough game.. not even in a mood to predict this one. Whatever happens, it will say a lot about our team.. our QB.. our WRs.. our coaching. If we do lose (even if just barely) but win the next one vs AZ, we would still be 5-3 headed into the bye. Not exactly where we want to be... but not too bad and wouldn't mean our division hopes are crushed.

Well, we got both; a rough game and a W.

It was particularly rough on the wide receivers. It was abundantly clear that the big Seattle secondary was mugging the 49er receivers all night long. I was surprised the refs allowed so much contact but Eric Davis attributed it to the fact that "Seattle always plays that way and the word has gotten around the league so the refs just let them play." Whether that is true or not, the facts were obvious; 49er receivers were not able to break the single coverage all night long. With Manningham unavailable, and no true speed guy on the field, Seattle was able to play tight coverage and effectively took the WRs out of the game. What we saw last night was that the 49er receivers had to hold off an attack by the Seahawk DBs before they could even consider attacking the ball.

It is becoming more and more obvious to anyone who is really paying attention that the lack of a WR with burner speed is restricting this offense. Why AJ Jenkins is never on the field is a question only the coaches can answer but we saw once again last night that none of the 49er receivers scare a decent secondary to use anything more than just single coverage against the current WR group. Vernon Davis is the only real threat and he was effectively taken out of the game by doubling him with a LB and/or a CB or safety. Davis is clearly getting frustrated but it looks like he will just have to get used to it until a true #1 receiver joins the team that will pull a the double coverage off VD.
Originally posted by dj43:
Gonna be a rough game.. not even in a mood to predict this one. Whatever happens, it will say a lot about our team.. our QB.. our WRs.. our coaching. If we do lose (even if just barely) but win the next one vs AZ, we would still be 5-3 headed into the bye. Not exactly where we want to be... but not too bad and wouldn't mean our division hopes are crushed.

It was particularly rough on the wide receivers. It was abundantly clear that the big Seattle secondary was mugging the 49er receivers all night long. I was surprised the refs allowed so much contact but Eric Davis attributed it to the fact that "Seattle always plays that way and the word has gotten around the league so the refs just let them play." Whether that is true or not, the facts were obvious; 49er receivers were not able to break the single coverage all night long. With Manningham unavailable, and no true speed guy on the field, Seattle was able to play tight coverage and effectively took the WRs out of the game. What we saw last night was that the 49er receivers had to hold off an attack by the Seahawk DBs before they could even consider attacking the ball.

It is becoming more and more obvious to anyone who is really paying attention that the lack of a WR with burner speed is restricting this offense. Why AJ Jenkins is never on the field is a question only the coaches can answer but we saw once again last night that none of the 49er receivers scare a decent secondary to use anything more than just single coverage against the current WR group. Vernon Davis is the only real threat and he was effectively taken out of the game by doubling him with a LB and/or a CB or safety. Davis is clearly getting frustrated but it looks like he will just have to get used to it until a true #1 receiver joins the team that will pull a the double coverage off VD.

Originally posted by paperplanemedia:

Receivers were open, if the DB can just keep up with a receiver they know AS wont throw it.

Good stuff.. Alex could have put a better ball to (I think) Kyle W early in the game in the endzone... but hey, QBs miss those. As for all game long, I don't have the coaches film to say.. but our receivers did get mugged with impunity quite often. I knew the Hawks would do that... knew that Alex would have trouble trusting such disruptions... but we learned that these particular refs were gonna let them play rough. All our weapons claim that they are team-first guys.. I think that's somewhat honest.. but they will get quietly irritated with their lack of attention. Hope the wins will keep them content enough.

I haven't been terribly pleased with Alex the passer... not like I expected our pass game to look at this point. Maybe he turns it up a notch or two.. maybe not. That and our end success will determine what level there will be to a QB competition next year. Or if things get no better, then maybe the F/O will feel that Alex costs too much for what he is bringing. We'll see.

For now, I will hope for improvement and simply enjoy the fact that our record is strong, and we are looking playoff-bound.
Receivers were open, if the DB can just keep up with a receiver they know AS wont throw it.

Yeah, look how well that turned out for Wilson when he threw it up to Edwards.
Share 49ersWebzone