There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Kaep got heat for throwing it into coverage to Moss against the Vikings. Moss almost caught it.

Now, Delanie, a back up tight end, is getting heat for not going up in coverage and getting it. Where is the justice?

I feel bad for Delanie, he's the best #2 tight end in the league and gets s**tted on because he's expected to make WR type adjustments to all these poor throws. There is a reason he was converted from WR to TE, because he can't make WR type plays like that. If you throw it to the #2 tight end, it better be on the money.

I've always liked Walker but this year he seems absolutely worthless as a receiver...still a valued blocker, but good grief he has had so many drops and just poor receiving plays. One or two good ones in six games? Not a valued receiver...this year.
Yeah his hands are suspect. But he tears it up blocking and he still has to be covered as a TE because of his speed.

He's also good for ST. He's not going to go up and grab passes like Jimmy Grahm or Gronk so we shouldn't even expect that, just like you wouldn't expect guys like Ted Popson to do so. Remember him? lol
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM ]
Yeah his hands are suspect. But he tears it up blocking and he still has to be covered as a TE because of his speed.

He's also good for ST. He's not going to go up and grab passes like Jimmy Grahm or Gronk so we shouldn't even expect that, just like you wouldn't expect guys like Ted Popson to do so. Remember him? lol

I agree but some of our receivers need to learn how to go after the ball.
Would love to see some 4 WR sets used and try to make the secondary cover more than a couple of fast guys on any one down. Moss and VD are very fast, but they haven't used Ginn or Jenkins at all. Williams is more quick than fast. Manningham seems to have smooth speed in his routes.

How bout Moss on the far right, Jenkins on the far left, with Ginn short right and VD on the left...then use Manningham or Williams out of the backfield. I would like to see Jenkins active before Celek. But the 9ers do love their TEs.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

I agree but some of our receivers need to learn how to go after the ball.

I can't think of many times they get a chance. The ball is on the money, overthrown or they are already wide open.
I can't think of many times they get a chance. The ball is on the money, overthrown or they are already wide open.

Ive seen manningham start to adjust himself when a ball is off target maybe getting more in sync with alex and his throwing style? Eli had a couple over overthrows and passes thrown high as well, the one i remember is when Cruz went up after the ball to receiver the high throw from Eli, knowing damn well Carlos was gunna hit him as soon as he touched the ball, thats the kind of effort I would like to see from our receivers, but i would also like to see them start learning how to read the coverage as well, so they know when they may have to cut short on a route because a suspicious defender is about to jump the route.
Originally posted by Faraz80:
Comeon fellas. You're reaching here. All 3 were bad throws by Alex. There's nothing more to it than that.

The Crabtree Part is legit, Alex was expecting him to cut in front of that db, That one was on both qb and wr
All players need to attack the ball, offense and defense. Seen both fail this year to much.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Ive seen manningham start to adjust himself when a ball is off target maybe getting more in sync with alex and his throwing style? Eli had a couple over overthrows and passes thrown high as well, the one i remember is when Cruz went up after the ball to receiver the high throw from Eli, knowing damn well Carlos was gunna hit him as soon as he touched the ball, thats the kind of effort I would like to see from our receivers, but i would also like to see them start learning how to read the coverage as well, so they know when they may have to cut short on a route because a suspicious defender is about to jump the route.

What ever happened to hitting receivers in stride?
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Originally posted by Faraz80:
Comeon fellas. You're reaching here. All 3 were bad throws by Alex. There's nothing more to it than that.

The Crabtree Part is legit, Alex was expecting him to cut in front of that db, That one was on both qb and wr
I think that E. Manning could of had 2-3 picks as well, The only difference was that Giants WR's and DB's made plays on the ball. (D. Walker could of prevented the first pick. While C. Rogers could of had 2, if he made plays on the 2 throws where Eli hit him in the hands.

The first pick by Alex was a deep pass that had to much air under it. This allow the db to track it down and pick it off. This one was like the pass that Eli threw to V. Cruz, where C. Rogers had a chance at an INT. The difference was V. Cruz attacked the ball, instead of watching it fall in C. Rogers hands.

The second pick and third pick where forced throws, which where bad reads by Alex. The one intended to M. Manningham was high and there where 3 Giant defenders surrounding him. It had to be a perfect throw if it was going to be completed.

The other pick was to Crabtree, where Alex tried to look off the defender to the left side of the field and come back and throw to Crabs on the right side of the field. I don't know who was really at fault. I don't know if Crabs was suppose to sit and Alex was suppose to hit that spot or was Crabs suppose to cross the db's face and not have the db undercut that pass.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
What ever happened to hitting receivers in stride?

Rule change...illegal striding is a 15 yard penalty.
Originally posted by AUniner:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Kaep got heat for throwing it into coverage to Moss against the Vikings. Moss almost caught it.

Now, Delanie, a back up tight end, is getting heat for not going up in coverage and getting it. Where is the justice?

I feel bad for Delanie, he's the best #2 tight end in the league and gets s**tted on because he's expected to make WR type adjustments to all these poor throws. There is a reason he was converted from WR to TE, because he can't make WR type plays like that. If you throw it to the #2 tight end, it better be on the money.

Thanks for the chuckles... "the 2nd best #2 TE of the league" can't even make "a WR-type play" or break up a pass? Awesome!

Lol, "the 2nd best #2 TE of the league" made me laugh too. Y2R never watched the Pats?

haha you right, he's the second best #2 tight end.

Anyone else i'm forgetting?

Tom Crabtree, Clay Harbour, Ed Dickson, Anthony McCoy...

Sorry, didn't mean to give you attitude. I knew it would come off that way. Fact is there are plenty of #2 TE's with more production, particularly this year. Walker has been targetted 12 time for 4 catches and 39 yards. No TD's. 3 Drops

Edit: Spelling and I sat on this for a while so a little out of sync with the convo.
[ Edited by AUniner on Oct 17, 2012 at 9:07 PM ]
Not only our receivers but the dang CB's too.

Somebody needs to let them know they have a right to the ball too and it's OK to go up and get it!
I agree that our players need to attack the ball more when it's in the air, but I HATE it when people say "Go up and catch the ball at its highest point"... My reason is that the statement does NOT make sense! By the time the ball is catch-able, IT IS DESCENDING!!!! I'm not a physicist, but doesn't the ball travel in an arching trajectory (UP, for us normal people..) from the time it leaves the QB's hand, then eventually down, until it gets to the receiver? In order for someone to actually "catch it at the HIGHEST point" they would need to jump EXTREMELY HIGH in the air! In fact, for a deep pass down the field, say 40 or 50 yards, wouldn't the receiver have to jump around at least 20 - 30 feet in the air to catch the ball at its HIGHEST point? Why can't anybody say something that makes sense, like "go up as high as you can jump, and catch the ball!" How hard would that be? Rant aside, yes I think our receivers should go after the ball more aggressively while it's up in the air...
Originally posted by Juggernaut49erFan:
I agree that our players need to attack the ball more when it's in the air, but I HATE it when people say "Go up and catch the ball at its highest point"... My reason is that the statement does NOT make sense! By the time the ball is catch-able, IT IS DESCENDING!!!! I'm not a physicist, but doesn't the ball travel in an arching trajectory (UP, for us normal people..) from the time it leaves the QB's hand, then eventually down, until it gets to the receiver? In order for someone to actually "catch it at the HIGHEST point" they would need to jump EXTREMELY HIGH in the air! In fact, for a deep pass down the field, say 40 or 50 yards, wouldn't the receiver have to jump around at least 20 - 30 feet in the air to catch the ball at its HIGHEST point? Why can't anybody say something that makes sense, like "go up as high as you can jump, and catch the ball!" How hard would that be? Rant aside, yes I think our receivers should go after the ball more aggressively while it's up in the air...

Over analyze much?

It's the highest point in your area, not highest point of the pass
Originally posted by TT49ers:
I think that E. Manning could of had 2-3 picks as well, The only difference was that Giants WR's and DB's made plays on the ball. (D. Walker could of prevented the first pick. While C. Rogers could of had 2, if he made plays on the 2 throws where Eli hit him in the hands.

The first pick by Alex was a deep pass that had to much air under it. This allow the db to track it down and pick it off. This one was like the pass that Eli threw to V. Cruz, where C. Rogers had a chance at an INT. The difference was V. Cruz attacked the ball, instead of watching it fall in C. Rogers hands.

The second pick and third pick where forced throws, which where bad reads by Alex. The one intended to M. Manningham was high and there where 3 Giant defenders surrounding him. It had to be a perfect throw if it was going to be completed.

The other pick was to Crabtree, where Alex tried to look off the defender to the left side of the field and come back and throw to Crabs on the right side of the field. I don't know who was really at fault. I don't know if Crabs was suppose to sit and Alex was suppose to hit that spot or was Crabs suppose to cross the db's face and not have the db undercut that pass.

In changing his route and attacking the ball sooner Walker could have done something, but as the plays stood he did as much as he could, I mean he could have tried to strip the ball away from under the ball rather then over where the db had a weaker grip on it.

Crabtree could have done something but instead stayed on the same route Rolle got the ball and laid Crabs out.