There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Exactly. Delanie looked as if he expected an easy catch due to the history of Alex throwing that route since last year. Our WR's don't normally get a ball their way unless they are NFL wide open. The thrower is known for avoiding the tight pass if he can. It's a two-way street. If the receivers see that they are getting the ball more often with defenders on their back, then they will always have an instinct that the QB will throw it even if I'm covered and I better get at this s**t and catch it.

So now we should shed a tear for the receivers that expect a perfect ball and don't bother to try hard for the ones that are not perfect. Oooookay then.

Is there any doubt that if we were talking about some other QB... any other QB... that our complaints would be valid only then.

You are getting carried away. It is natural to get into certain patterns of behavior. The pattern these receivers are accustomed to is they will get the ball when they are wide open be it from play design or QB option.

The WR's mentioned this when Troy Smith was starting. They said we always need to be ready because Troy will throw it when we don't think we are open. It developed a mentality in their mind that this mofo may try a crazy ass pass so the first thing they better be ready to do is box out or be ready for a defender nearby.

Getting accommodated to patterns a natural behavior.

See, you are always accusing people of making excuses for our QB. But you choose to go so far out of your way to make excuses against our QB.

Ask any coach, and he will say that if a pro receiver has an opportunity to catch a pass his way, you do your best to do just that.

.. and you want us to get into the mind of Walker and excuse him because he's not used to making tough catches with this particular QB? C'mon, joe... that's pretty weak.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Serious thought: Maybe the recievers would learn to attack the ball more if they actually had a QB that consistently put them in a position to do so. It seems to me that most of the balls thrown their way is when they are wide open, hence they dont get a lot of practice. However, if they had an aggressive QB that forced them to be better by making the harder throws, it would stand to reason they would get better at it.

P.S. D.Walker was not at fault for the INT. He totally had to break momentum and come back because it was underthrown or thrown very late.

It wasn't a good throw. I've already said that. However, it wasn't UNDERthrown. Smith was trying to fit it into the space between two defenders. The problem with the thrown was that it needed to be a line drive instead of a rainbow.

The problem with the other two picks was that the Giants disguised coverages and there just was no way to get the ball into the receiver. In both cases, Smith should have taken a sack instead of a chance. Bad choice.
But if he would have taken a sack...wouldn't some be complaining about he should have just let it fly? That he takes too many sacks? That he holds on to the ball too long? Just an observation.

And then they would of been right, because as dj pointed out, a throw could have been made, it just needed more zip.

Kid's these days....

Great, now we need DBs for wide receivers
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
We also remember the easy ones that he dropped to the chest. Not only him but others as well. All I ask is to be good enough to catch the easy ones and be great when the situation calls for you to go up and make a play on the ball.

I totally agree. Nobody in SF will be great if theyre not working their ass off over there. They need the desire like Vernon and his jugs. And after seeing Crabs finally become part of the team, we can see the ability he possesses. He has awesome capabilities for our limited passing needs.
I remember we went to OT with the saints when Vernon fought hard for that 2 p.c. And I remember a rifle shot to Crabs against Cincy in the endzone when Crabs looked like D. Clark reversed. And I remember Vernons great td catch this year diving for the ball onthe goalline. Great throw. CRABS at Seattle last year, nice trust there from our qb. You have to include Manninghams diving attempt. Good try from some. I would give it an excellent grade for effort.

More chances to see fighting for ball, more fighting for ball we'll see.
Watching this SEA/NE game.... yet another big catch for the Hawks as the QB puts a rainbow up and the receiver goes up and hauls it in.

Lots of blame to go around when the loss is so...awful! The receivers are better this year but are they championship quality yet? I worried when Moss and Manningham were brought in that it would take a while for them to jell with Smith. Manningham has done well, but Moss has not been used as much and I'm not sure what's up. Williams has been in and out as well. Sometimes using too many toys can distract from efficiency...just a fact. But the 9ers seem to have made up their minds that it's better to keep rotating receivers so that by the end of the year there will be a rapport with all the guys.

Still wondering about the play calling but see a ray of light in that the offense is still building rapport and the OLine seem to be getting better at pass protection. Now we might get to see if Boone can be a good LT as well, and that will answer another question--is the depth on the OLine decent?
Kaep got heat for throwing it into coverage to Moss against the Vikings. Moss almost caught it.

Now, Delanie, a back up tight end, is getting heat for not going up in coverage and getting it. Where is the justice?

I feel bad for Delanie, he's the best #2 tight end in the league and gets s**tted on because he's expected to make WR type adjustments to all these poor throws. There is a reason he was converted from WR to TE, because he can't make WR type plays like that. If you throw it to the #2 tight end, it better be on the money.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Kaep got heat for throwing it into coverage to Moss against the Vikings. Moss almost caught it.

Now, Delanie, a back up tight end, is getting heat for not going up in coverage and getting it. Where is the justice?

I feel bad for Delanie, he's the best #2 tight end in the league and gets s**tted on because he's expected to make WR type adjustments to all these poor throws. There is a reason he was converted from WR to TE, because he can't make WR type plays like that. If you throw it to the #2 tight end, it better be on the money.

Thanks for the chuckles... "the 2nd best #2 TE of the league" can't even make "a WR-type play" or break up a pass? Awesome!
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Oct 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM ]

Thanks for the chuckles... "the 2nd best #2 TE of the league" can't even make "a WR-type play" or break up a pass? Awesome!

Lol, "the 2nd best #2 TE of the league" made me laugh too. Y2R never watched the Pats?
i will ask a question which i havent seen anyone answer....yet

all those who were on the board saying they just wish Smith would be less cautious and throw the ball downfield and give our receivers a chance (cmon you know who you are)--do any of you have a problem with the interception on the pass to walker?
Originally posted by hofer36:

all those who were on the board saying they just wish Smith would be less cautious and throw the ball downfield and give our receivers a chance (cmon you know who you are)--do any of you have a problem with the interception on the pass to walker?

Are you asking the same guys that said we have a strong enough defense to take those kind of chances as long as he tried?
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Originally posted by hofer36:

Are you asking the same guys that said we have a strong enough defense to take those kind of chances as long as he tried?

LOL..those would be the guys. But never mind yesterdays comments...we have different complaints today!
Originally posted by AUniner:

Lol, "the 2nd best #2 TE of the league" made me laugh too. Y2R never watched the Pats?

haha you right, he's the second best #2 tight end.

Anyone else i'm forgetting?

I feel bad for Delanie, he's the second best #2 tight end in the league and gets s**tted on because he's expected to make WR type adjustments to all these poor throws. There is a reason he was converted from WR to TE, because he can't make WR type plays like that. If you throw it to the #2 tight end, it better be on the money.

Yeah. We should of gotten another top tier tight end like Fleener in the draft. He would of stopped on a dime, came back, jumped up and caught that. Thats the missing piece.

I've always liked Walker but this year he seems absolutely worthless as a receiver...still a valued blocker, but good grief he has had so many drops and just poor receiving plays. One or two good ones in six games? Not a valued receiver...this year.