LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 412 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Kubiack got fired today. Perhaps if Roman (hopefully) gets a HC job in the offseason, we could bring him in as our OC. His HC days are likely over but he's a great offensive mind and would be an upgrade over Roman. Roman has not improved or evolved as an OC. In fact he's regressed. Ready to move on and get a professional OC.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Dec 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Let's hope he shows us and the Seahawks something new this weekend.

Don't hold your breath on it!

i am sorry but i can almost feel the shrug of the shoulders as we say " we hope" he comes up with something as far as I am concerned he is just another tool in the toolkit of the hawks this sunday. any soon to be fired head coach or rathman or JH himself could do better. we have seen what he does vs good teams this year. i hope it will be 12-9 niners but what have you seen from him vs good teams this year to make you think it will be better this sunday against a elite team?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Kubiack got fired today. Perhaps if Roman (hopefully) gets a HC job in the offseason, we could bring him in as our OC. His HC days are likely over but he's a great offensive mind and would be an upgrade over Roman. Roman has not improved or evolved as an OC. In fact he's regressed. Ready to move on and get a professional OC.
some people like norv turner are just born to be an OC , can we send roman out for pizza this afternoon, bring in this guy and then change the locks on the door before roman gets back? is that legal?
Originally posted by cciowa:
some people like norv turner are just born to be an OC , can we send roman out for pizza this afternoon, bring in this guy and then change the locks on the door before roman gets back? is that legal?

Can't say I wouldn't support this. Though I do wonder how much the Niners would get out of a play action/zone blocking scheme. Then again, maybe that kind of scheme could work wonders for Kap.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
kubiak might be a good fit but his scheme is different

Oh right, he runs a WCO. I sure miss having that in San Francisco.
  • thl408
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by xela510:
Kubiak might be an option too, idk if he is has a safe job in Houston.

Both Shannahan and Kubiak are really good offensive minds, but there might be too many changes they would have to make in order to use their systems. Although we seem to have the skill players to do so--WR, RB, QB...hmmm...

Regarding Kubiak, I agree that the personnel, specifically on the Oline, is completely different from what he is used to working with. There is no possible way that this 49er Oline, as it stands right now, can run a zone blocking run scheme. The two OGs are maulers, as is ADavis. Staley would be the only guy that can be make it work. I don't know if Kubiak has run anything but a zone blocking run scheme. He did it when he worked under Shanny in DEN and did it in HOU as well.
Originally posted by thl408:
Regarding Kubiak, I agree that the personnel, specifically on the Oline, is completely different from what he is used to working with. There is no possible way that this 49er Oline, as it stands right now, can run a zone blocking run scheme. The two OGs are maulers, as is ADavis. Staley would be the only guy that can be make it work. I don't know if Kubiak has run anything but a zone blocking run scheme. He did it when he worked under Shanny in DEN and did it in HOU as well.

Well, resigning Iupati may not happen. Boone is certainly athletic enough and Kilgore/Looney are as well.
I want Kubiack as our OC before the playoffs begin. The more time he's here the more time the 49ers will be ready for next season. We might go through growing pains but I dont trust Roman going through the playoffs anyway.
[ Edited by xela510 on Dec 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by gunslinger8:

Well, resigning Iupati may not happen. Boone is certainly athletic enough and Kilgore/Looney are as well.
Interesting that you feel Boone is certainly athletic enough. He seems more of a straight ahead kind of guy. Perhaps because that's what he is asked to do the majority of the time. I see Boone being behind the play on those stretch run plays that the 49ers run, which fail about 75% of the time anyway for various reasons (the other OL aren't great at the stretch play). He does not excel blocking for screen passes which indicates he isn't good with mobility imo. If you see otherwise, I'd be happy to have to change my view on Boone.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by xela510:
Kubiak might be an option too, idk if he is has a safe job in Houston.

Both Shannahan and Kubiak are really good offensive minds, but there might be too many changes they would have to make in order to use their systems. Although we seem to have the skill players to do so--WR, RB, QB...hmmm...

My understanding is that we run both schemes - I know Solari favors zone blocking (for passing) and Drevno favors man to man ( for running game) - which is interesting because the Pistol is a zone based blocking scheme. I'd say this OL has more exposure to zone blocking than one would think. Moreover, I think Kubiak is more than creative enough as an OC in creating an offense that tailors towards the players he has. I would be more than happy to bring him in for a visit.

NinerGM, thanks for posting that article. Though the article focuses on the pistol, it sure does explain the concepts with regards to zone blocking on a straight ahead run play (dive play). I am more referring to zone blocking as a staple of an offensive run philosophy, which Kubiak has used in his past two coaching gigs. This would include runs to the left/right, which require agility and mobility from the Oline to keep up with the stretching action within the trenches. Using terminology from that article you posted, the 49ers are good with regards to the inside zone run plays, which are fairly straight ahead in nature, but we've seen them struggle mightily with the stretch plays.

Kubiak certainly has NFL experience so I agree that he should be able to adapt to his personnel. Just not sure if he would be in his element running a man blocking scheme. He does run a WCO based passing attack which would be a gigantic learning curve for Kap. Would we be willing to live with the bumps that go into learning a completely new offensive passing philosophy? If so, first order of business is teaching Kap the fundamentals of footwork.
Recently, I have realized, that in fact, roman is a fantastic OC. He would make a superb HC in Houston, and they would be really lucky to get him. We will be losing an OC that has helped us to over 30 wins in 3 seasons, and he is truly a fantastic OC, who truly needs to be recognized for his winning ways and contributions to the 49ers success. I have no idea what we will do without him, but roman really is deserving of the HC job in Houston, and the Texans would be very lucky indeed, to get him. I guess we will just have to manage without him, but I don't believe in standing in the way of an OC who truly deserves to be a HC, when a vacancy occurs. I think most of those on the WZ will miss him, but on the other hand, it is very impolitic to stand in the way of an OC being promoted to HC of another team. I can give him my blessing altho we will miss him badly. But that is the way in the NFL... if you are really talented, then you deserve to move up if you get the call.

I don't know what we will do without him, but JH will have to do some playcalling himself...which he should already have been doing. If roman is asked to be HC in HOuston, I guess we all will just have to say, "good luck, and thank you". I have a strong feeling that the Jags, the Bucs, and maybe a few others will be calling at his door, but a shot to coach a team such as the TExans, is a huge break for roman. We will miss you Greg, but I hope you get your shot at HC soon...if not the Texans, others will be knocking on your door. Congratulations on the fine job you have done here at 49erland, and hope you succeed in your new endeavor.

Best wishes, Pasodoc9er

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/176024-gary-kubiak-fired/page3/#HWzcVeUsspWXGc3S.99

i dont think roman will be as bad with our WR situation getting better. he was limited in what he could call. now we have threats outside. i think he called the last two games really well
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver

Why I included Greg Roman as a logical #Texans candidate on @nflnetwork : http://yhoo.it/1bm8Qxq
Hey, I am just trying to let our friends in Houston know they would be getting a crackerjack HC in roman. Same for the fans in JAX, Tampa, Wash, et al.
i dont think roman will be as bad with our WR situation getting better. he was limited in what he could call. now we have threats outside. i think he called the last two games really well

Same here. I want nothing to do with Kubiak's system. Cut blocking will more than likely be illegal in the next few years anyway. The only thing I really like about his system is that Andre Johnson's been playing in it. Down with cut blocking! Looking at you Seattle. Wont be long and you'll have to man up and block like real men instead of ankle biting little beotches.
Originally posted by NinerG94:

Same here. I want nothing to do with Kubiak's system. Cut blocking will more than likely be illegal in the next few years anyway. The only thing I really like about his system is that Andre Johnson's been playing in it. Down with cut blocking! Looking at you Seattle. Wont be long and you'll have to man up and block like real men instead of ankle biting little beotches.

I guess you didn't think too highly of Bobb McKittrick or his 49er OLs, since he's basically the Godfather of the cut block.
Share 49ersWebzone