There are 224 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Oh, for the days of Jimmy Raye.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rapid4:
Oh, for the days of Jimmy Raye.

at least he would have known to run the ball on second and goal from the five. anyone with a half a head would have known to stay with the run vs the colts, a f**king bonnet monkey would have went for it on fourth and goal from the half yard line instead of telling the offense that you are not good enough to get a half yard in this situation. and I am sorry but just because the niners have had success in the last two years, that does mean roman is immune to critique. and can we please disguise the f**king run? you did last year, what is the issue this year.. and can you please fake the run to set up the pass? you did vs the lowly redskins with a score to davis. god forbid it worked so we better put it back in the tool box
I think the damage has been done and the writing is on the wall. Roman must go. Also sense a real power struggle between Harbaugh and management concerning Roman. His lack of diversification and creativity has become an anchor to this team. Puts WAY too much pressure on the defense to win ball games.

You could go with darn near any other offensive coordinator and reap benefits. Bottom line is that we need to be balanced both in the run and passing game. While we do have some passing outbursts this year, when it does happen it's almost looked upon as a surprise. Problem is that Harbaugh is comfortable with his coaches and system. Hang tight because it's about to get very uncomfortable and for the first time in his tenure, Harbaugh will be asked to make some major adjustments in his coaching staff.
Cam Cameron is a friend of the Harbaugh's and would be an upgrade. Unfortunately, he was a disciple of Bo Schembechler. His first coaching job was tutoring QBs and WRs at Michigan. Would he rather stay at LSU? Doubt it!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Cam Cameron is a friend of the Harbaugh's and would be an upgrade. Unfortunately, he was a disciple of Bo Schembechler. His first coaching job was tutoring QBs and WRs at Michigan. Would he rather stay at LSU? Doubt it!

I was definitely pleased with LSU's offense and playcalling this season. It was a very welcomed change from their gimmicky crap of old.

Bring him in, and snatch up one of those LSU boys (Beckham Jr. or Landry) =
Originally posted by zaghawk:
Didn't this guy get you to as SB last year? Aren't you still in the playoff picture?

Top 5/10 NFL team problems.

we've been in the bottom third in the league in offense all three years he's been here. Always good in the run, above average in points, but not able to generate a consistent passing game. There have been multiple games throughout the past three years--including the Super Bowl--where suspect playcalling and bizarre play design and game plans have caused us to struggle or lose.

Roman is better than many OC's in the league but he's not perfect and his flaws have become more obvious over time.

But I suppose Seahawks fans have never had reason to question playcalls or game plans and have never debated how their team could be improved at every level.

the same Cam Cameron whose firing was necessary for the Ravens to win the Super Bowl? No thank you.
  • thl408
Originally posted by HessianDud:

the same Cam Cameron whose firing was necessary for the Ravens to win the Super Bowl? No thank you.

dtg_9er, if you knew why Cam Cameron was fired from BAL, you would not want him being OC for the 49ers. To put it simply, unimaginative passing attack.
Necessary? It was an odd situation and involved his relationship with the QB as much as anything. He has been successful as an OC and can't be as inept at calling the passing game as is Roman. But Harbaugh knows him well and if he decides not to hire him it will be for good reason I suppose.

Originally posted by thl408:
dtg_9er, if you knew why Cam Cameron was fired from BAL, you would not want him being OC for the 49ers. To put it simply, unimaginative passing attack.

Not touting him as an example of my kind of coach...just a better option than Roman. His problems in Baltimore involved their QB...the style Cameron wanted him to use was not within Flacco's grasp. I really want a true WCO but the entire 9er offense is built in a different direction...I am not going to be totally happy in the near future. But, I think Kaepernick is capable of playing in any style, so that's not a concern of mine. I like what Cameron did in SD and in Balt, and now at LSU...so is he perfect? No, but I'm really tired of the incredibly erratic passing game. If it turns out to be just a matter of getting Crabtree on the field with VD and Boldin...I'll celebrate like crazy!
Originally posted by pete98146:
I think the damage has been done and the writing is on the wall. Roman must go. Also sense a real power struggle between Harbaugh and management concerning Roman. His lack of diversification and creativity has become an anchor to this team. Puts WAY too much pressure on the defense to win ball games.

You could go with darn near any other offensive coordinator and reap benefits. Bottom line is that we need to be balanced both in the run and passing game. While we do have some passing outbursts this year, when it does happen it's almost looked upon as a surprise. Problem is that Harbaugh is comfortable with his coaches and system. Hang tight because it's about to get very uncomfortable and for the first time in his tenure, Harbaugh will be asked to make some major adjustments in his coaching staff.

I could definitely see this happening during the off-season for sure. We have too much talent sitting here on this team to keep banging our heads against the same damn wall every game. Hope the right decisions will be made when the time comes.

Shanahan will get s*tcanned this year. He will be our new OC.

Think 1994.

What do we do with Roman? I say keep him on staff in some capacity. Just not calling plays. He can contribute to some aspects of offensive design, just not be in charge of the overall design/strategy. Not at this time.
We must fired a Greg Roman.. He said.. He was creative new offense? He didn't work out and bad playbooks his own way.. .. We need find the playbook style for wisdom how win games!! The playbook style is very important and can beat the Denver or Seattle!
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
We must fired a Greg Roman.. He said.. He was creative new offense? He didn't work out and bad playbooks his own way.. .. We need find the playbook style for wisdom how win games!! The playbook style is very important and can beat the Denver or Seattle!

I love you BuZzB28. I'm not worthy.
Necessary? It was an odd situation and involved his relationship with the QB as much as anything. He has been successful as an OC and can't be as inept at calling the passing game as is Roman. But Harbaugh knows him well and if he decides not to hire him it will be for good reason I suppose.

Originally posted by thl408:

Not touting him as an example of my kind of coach...just a better option than Roman. His problems in Baltimore involved their QB...the style Cameron wanted him to use was not within Flacco's grasp. I really want a true WCO but the entire 9er offense is built in a different direction...I am not going to be totally happy in the near future. But, I think Kaepernick is capable of playing in any style, so that's not a concern of mine. I like what Cameron did in SD and in Balt, and now at LSU...so is he perfect? No, but I'm really tired of the incredibly erratic passing game. If it turns out to be just a matter of getting Crabtree on the field with VD and Boldin...I'll celebrate like crazy!

I haven't seen much of LSU this year, but I remember how potent the Chargers offense was during his tenure. I think a coordinator like Cameron can do some serious damage with the talent we have on offense.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Shanahan will get s*tcanned this year. He will be our new OC.

Think 1994.

What do we do with Roman? I say keep him on staff in some capacity. Just not calling plays. He can contribute to some aspects of offensive design, just not be in charge of the overall design/strategy. Not at this time.

I think Shanahan wants to be here. He obviously knows he wont be in Washington next year and he was talking up the 49ers like crazy after we beat them.
Share 49ersWebzone