LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
The word I heard...is our offensive line is only built for smashing and thrashing. Not running and blocking. This is why screens, and short passes are non-existent. These plays are in-between runs, and long passes. A Bill Walsh offense featured smaller athletic lineman, who can run with these plays, and pull and block. This extra fold is what west coast is all about. How many time have you seen an opponent on 3rd down successfully run a screen to get a first down, and make you ask..."why the hell dont we do this!" Also makes for a better run game, with less defenders in the box. This is what our offense is missing.
I'm sure Harbaugh is loyal to his coaches, but his bigger loyalty is to doing everything he can to win and if he thinks that someone other than Roman is more likely to help the team win, he'll go with that other OC. The question is - will Harbaugh come to view Roman as more of a liability than a help toward winning? I have no idea. I do think it is worthwhile to note that Harbaugh did bring in Mangini this season, which is a little unusual. It seems to me that that could be a sign that Harbaugh has had concerns about Roman as OC.

If the 9ers lose badly to the Seahawks this week and again in the playoffs, then surely something has to change and my bet is that Roman leaving will be one of those changes.
he sucks and his offense is getting worse. Give Hue Jackson a call.....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
And that is exactly what HaRoman will say; "Hey, we finally have a full arsenal...give us another year to put it altogether with CK who's going into his 3rd year!" Sadly, you find out what kind of OC/philosophy/foundation you have WHEN everything isn't perfect. In fact, that's when an OC shows his true colors and helps mask the weaknesses.
go by what roman and jh do and not what they say. roman talks big and then pisses down his leg at crunch time vs good teams at key times.
LMAO! I love you cciowa!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
LMAO! I love you cciowa!

i am sorry but it is true. some people would say,, oh its just a bump in the road. no its a god damn pattern with him and damn JH for being an enabler. i stand by the fact if we do not get in the playoffs it will be romans fault for allowing us to lose the colts and panthers games at home.. there was just no excuse for that crap.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Crabman, I know canning roman is just wishful thinking, and it ain't gonna happen. Still, it is exactly what we need and won't get due to jimbo's fanatical loyalty to his players (Kyle Williams) and coaches, despite what he sees is not working. Dam I hope some fool on the Jags or Miami, etc, will take him as their HC at season's end. But we all know that won't happen either. One thing really depressing is that he will continue to win 10-12 games/yr and will be welcomed back. I just wonder how much it will take jimbo to finally can him. The other, much less likely scenario is that roman starts calling games like a regular human professional. Doubtful, however.

It sure would be nice if one of these colleges would give him an offer he can't refuse and Harbaugh would let him go. I can only keep hoping & wishing as the days go by!
Anybody know what the odds are of roman getting sick and not showing up? I mean, they make odds on everything else, why not that?
Didn't this guy get you to as SB last year? Aren't you still in the playoff picture?

Top 5/10 NFL team problems.
^^^ Yes and no...the "unknown" of CK and this offense in general (college passing game, one-read, scheme one man open, all the motions, shifts, jumbo packages, personnel sets, etc.) contributed more to us going so far...so far on talent alone. Now the DC's have easily caught up to Roman esp. quality teams. From that, there is a long grocery list of patterns and concerns we as Niner fans see here. Put it this way, we'd take your OC any day of the week over Roman. Enough said.

Originally posted by zaghawk:
Didn't this guy get you to as SB last year? Aren't you still in the playoff picture?

Top 5/10 NFL team problems.

LOL! And Roman's play calling is one of the reasons we LOSS the Super Bowl! I thought that losing the SUPER BOWL would give him motivation make adjustments and evolve as an OC only to see he's still doing the same stupid s**t - everyone in the league has adjusted to him and whenever we play a quality defense, he's like a mouse being pushed into a corner with no more tricks and gimmicks left to bail him out. One of the reasons I'm scared to death about this Sunday. Roman is hardly the reason we're still in the playoff picture - if we didn't have an elite defense carrying this team, I shudder to think what our record would be. It's really not fair because the defense is championship ready but Roman is a college minded OC that has yet to evolve into a professional one and CK7 is going through his growing pains (although Roman could utilize him better by moving the pocket like Bevell does for Russell).
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am sorry but it is true. some people would say,, oh its just a bump in the road. no its a god damn pattern with him and damn JH for being an enabler. i stand by the fact if we do not get in the playoffs it will be romans fault for allowing us to lose the colts and panthers games at home.. there was just no excuse for that crap.

Who would like to see brought in as head coach and offensive coordinator? We all know your disdain for Roman and Harbaugh. So who would you rather see in here? 31-11-1, two division championships, 1 conference championship, and one superbowl appearance in three seasons is going to be tough to top for any coaching staff. But clearly there has to be better options out there right? Lets here some suggestions.

IMO the offense has been better and the play calling has been better in recent weeks. WR's are getting healthy. I really don't think this is a coincidence. The play calling will evolve as the roster and playmakers evolve and it has.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Anybody know what the odds are of roman getting sick and not showing up? I mean, they make odds on everything else, why not that?

if only we could make it look like an accident
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Who would like to see brought in as head coach and offensive coordinator? We all know your disdain for Roman and Harbaugh. So who would you rather see in here? 31-11-1, two division championships, 1 conference championship, and one superbowl appearance in three seasons is going to be tough to top for any coaching staff. But clearly there has to be better options out there right? Lets here some suggestions.

IMO the offense has been better and the play calling has been better in recent weeks. WR's are getting healthy. I really don't think this is a coincidence. The play calling will evolve as the roster and playmakers evolve and it has.
give me a break. i never said i want JH replaced. i said damn him for enabling roman. what is wrong with that? he does approve of the "game plan" by roman in the games we lost so he shares the blame to. i would love to have Mike S when he gets fired from the skins come in here for a couple years then turn it over to rathman. or hell just give it to rathman,,, or hell JH call his own plays. I am not even going to start a debate with you and rehash the golden roman retard moments with you over the last couple of years. and this year he caused us to lose the colts game by not staying with the run and his "strategy" vs the panthers was just god f**king awful all day long.
JH hasn't thrown anyone under the bus since he got here. Not one person.

I hpe Trent has a talk with him. We have the talent to do better.

At the VERY, VERY least we need a new WR coach!
Share 49ersWebzone