LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 406 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
One more note.

I'm still bothered the Niners go into this shell when they have a 10-14 point lead in the 4th quarter. I understand the intent behind forcing the opposing team to slowly drive down the field, eating up clock. What I don't understand is the extremely vanilla play calling for the Niners' offense. And I'm not talking the run-run-run sequence when the Niners were clearly going to win the game. It's the fact that going in to the second half Harbaugh and Roman seem content to try and sit on the lead. It's like they don't really want to open up that game and seal it.

conservative has been the #1 issue.

sphincters are too tight in the booth.

when we're up by a lot we need to run a 4 minute offense, not a vanilla one. one that guarantees we take up 4 minutes of time move the ball and possibly get points. we're not trying to get a td but if we eat up the clock run 9-10 plays take 4 or 5 mins off the clock and score points..you put the game away like that.

not the constant trade off crap
Originally posted by NCommand:
The stretch run doesn't work b/c the OT isn't getting to the 2nd level to block out the LB and the WR is losing his battle with the CB. 3-5 defenders are knifing through huge gaps. But the REAL reason it doesn't work is b/c teams continue to stack 8-10 guys in the box. They are already there to defend any kind of run we do. Miss directions, end arounds, fly sweeps (remember these?), quick outs, WR screens, an option play, etc. can work b/c they often times get the defense moving one way while the play goes the other. Another successful play we've abandoned is the roll right, toss back left to VD wide open in the flat. You get the defense covering the entire field and suddenly those edges are open. Also, we've abandoned the toss left-right plays to Hunter (used to be $ on these).

true but we should bring them back. and make it a point to get gore geared up again to go along with the passing game. its like he can't do both. call a good passing and running game.

but whatever it is we have to be aggressive from here on out. HAVE to be and not lose our identity

power it up
Next game is on his shoulders

we know the defense can stop the seahawks offense
it's been our offense that has cost us these games.

if he reverts fire him.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

if he reverts fire him.

I think it's way past time for this, but if the 49ers offense can't get anything going, he truly needs to go. After watching the 49ers struggle against the Saints, I saw the Seahawks tear up a Saints defense by attacking their weaknesses, the same weaknesses that the Saints possessed when the 49ers played, Seattle did so with damn near surgical precision and you saw how many guys ended up completely wide open as a result of the scheme that they were running.

if he reverts fire him.

I would want this to happen, but I know it wouldn't. Only way we can get rid of him is if he gets hired for one of the HC positions available next year.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think it's way past time for this, but if the 49ers offense can't get anything going, he truly needs to go. After watching the 49ers struggle against the Saints, I saw the Seahawks tear up a Saints defense by attacking their weaknesses, the same weaknesses that the Saints possessed when the 49ers played, Seattle did so with damn near surgical precision and you saw how many guys ended up completely wide open as a result of the scheme that they were running.

I think this sums up the Niners' offensive problems quite well. Seattle has to have a nice scheme and exploit the opposing defense because quite frankly, they don't have any superstar receivers. Tate is likely a number 2 on most other teams (on some even a 3) and outside of him, they're running with a bunch of 3 and 4 type receivers. Yet they still manage to find ways to make big plays happen. They find ways to move the ball. Wilson is playing at a high level right now and I don't think that is in doubt. But not only does he study tape, he's being put in a position by his coaching staff to be successful. They know what they have in him, and the best way to use him in conjunction with the offense they run.

The Niners with Roman seem wholly content on trying to win on pure talent. Run a vanilla scheme and let the superior players win on talent alone. That works extremely well against inferior competition. But when you're playing the top teams it becomes a huge liability. The talent is now essentially equal and you must win through solid play calling, great execution and smart decision making.
All is forgiven if we end the season with a 6th lombardi. But for now, his ass is on the line.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Pie
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

yup it was as simple as spread it out and play action pass. call quick throws like seattle was doing all night, not 7 step drops.

lynch didn't even do anything against the saints. ryan loaded the box and roman refused to attack.

if we attack against carolina and against the saint's we're 10-2 right now.

if we continue to run the ball against the colts we're 11-1 right now.

he cannot cost us another game. not another.
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
I think this sums up the Niners' offensive problems quite well. Seattle has to have a nice scheme and exploit the opposing defense because quite frankly, they don't have any superstar receivers. Tate is likely a number 2 on most other teams (on some even a 3) and outside of him, they're running with a bunch of 3 and 4 type receivers. Yet they still manage to find ways to make big plays happen. They find ways to move the ball. Wilson is playing at a high level right now and I don't think that is in doubt. But not only does he study tape, he's being put in a position by his coaching staff to be successful. They know what they have in him, and the best way to use him in conjunction with the offense they run.

The Niners with Roman seem wholly content on trying to win on pure talent. Run a vanilla scheme and let the superior players win on talent alone. That works extremely well against inferior competition. But when you're playing the top teams it becomes a huge liability. The talent is now essentially equal and you must win through solid play calling, great execution and smart decision making.

the difference between offenses is 1 coordinator attacks all the damn time. so what if it works or if it doesn't

and the other is a wuss. (roman) he pulls out all the stops against bad teams and then tightens his sphincter against good teams

he has to be aggressive he has to attack down the field intermediate run with power move the pocket.. ALL OF THAT in order for the team to be as good as it should be... im not talking about next game im talking about going forward for the rest of the year and his tenure with the 49ers

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Donut
Originally posted by LVJay:
Donut

twinkie?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Donut

twinkie?

Yes, definitely! But his specialty is pizza
Originally posted by gold49digger:
All is forgiven if we end the season with a 6th lombardi. But for now, his ass is on the line.

Could have had the 6th Lombardi in our trophy case if Roman didn't go full retard with the play calling when we were 5 yards away from the championship. His ass should've already been on the line then.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM ]
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Could have had the 6th Lombardi in our trophy case if Roman didn't go full retard with the play calling when we were 5 yards away from the championship. His ass should've already been on the line then.

we shouldn't even be caring about this season. it should be icing trying to go for a repeat
Share 49ersWebzone