There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Roman is 2/3 to a retard in the Redzone

Haha so true lately
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Or the offensive coordinator has no business calling a pro level offense, the more likely issue. You can replace Kaepernick with whoever you like, this offense will continue to be largely ineffective because of the failing offensive philosophy behind it and the HORRENDOUS inability to adjust and take advantage of what the defensive is giving you.

Sure. We were in 3rd and 5+ all day long. We get crabs back and he gives us the one big play game breaker. Jeez. What happened to manningham today? Designed rollouts? Keepers from kap given the spotty protection with staley out? No screens? Come on guys we've been talking about this for several weeks now.....
oh wait....I forgot our brilliant strategy of lining up our fullback as a wideout.

Are other teams laughing at us?
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
kill kill kill. The more I see this Awful archaic playcalling, the more I start to blame the OC and JH. Just terrible playcalling.

lol it was always the play calling

a million people said kap regressed what has magically changed other than the personnel options and play calling?

they just wasted half a season being conservative and b******tting
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
oh wait....I forgot our brilliant strategy of lining up our fullback as a wideout.

right dumb as hell.

that is where macdonald or manningham needs to be.

no more passing routes for the fb.

ever

and no more stretch plays with gore..

ever please
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

why would other teams laugh at the 49ers? 49ers are 8-4 and just crushed St Louis.
Originally posted by Jcool:
why would other teams laugh at the 49ers? 49ers are 8-4 and just crushed St Louis.

They're laughing at our offense. They scared about our defense.

Do you think lining up Bruce Miller wide contributed to our win? I am asking seriously. Because I don't get it. What is the threat there?

Any insight is appreciated. I really don't see what we are going for there.

Just like the weird pop warner shift from a few quarters ago.
i think they see an opportunity to remove a defender from the middle of the defense as bruce goes out wide and takes a LB or DB with him and they try to attack the middle of the field off that. that is my take on their thinking, its worked a few times this yr but overall hasn't been anything worth repeating over and over
Originally posted by iLL49er:
i think they see an opportunity to remove a defender from the middle of the defense as bruce goes out wide and takes a LB or DB with him and they try to attack the middle of the field off that. that is my take on their thinking, its worked a few times this yr but overall hasn't been anything worth repeating over and over

Is it credible? Why not put in a another wideout and line him up where Bruce is?
Originally posted by iLL49er:

Is it credible? Why not put in a another wideout and line him up where Bruce is?

I think the reasoning is that generally you'll have a linebacker or a safety on Miller when you shift him out wide. Miller seems pretty athletic and can probably beat his man fairly often (though I've never really seen the Niners make a point to throw it to him, at least with any consistency). When the Niners' put another wideout in the lineup in place of Miller, the defense will usually counter with a CB. Up to this point the Niners' wideouts have left much to be desired, which has probably contributed to the hesitation of putting in another wideout.

Also, iLL is correct in his main point. Putting Miller outside in a shift usually forces someone on the interior of the defense to shift out wide to account for Miller being there. If it is man coverage, that leaves quite a soft spot in the middle of the defense. It could also flood a zone leaving someone open.

I'm not saying the Niners should be running this often, just that is probably some of the logic behind it. Spread the defense out and try to exploit some weakness.
I almost always defend Roman against the irrational criticisms, but one thing that did irk me was how few (if any) plays had Crab, Boldin, Manningham, Vernon, and Gore all on the field. I'm sure when we traded for Boldin we all fantasized about being able to lineup Crab and Ham out wide with Boldin in the slot to go along with Vernon and Gore and that seems like a crazy indefensible formation. I really, really hope we see a lot more of that personnel grouping out on the field in the weeks to come.
What did you guys think of the gameplan yesterday? Adjustments (if any)...like or dislike?
Originally posted by NCommand:
What did you guys think of the gameplan yesterday? Adjustments (if any)...like or dislike?

I didn't think it was terrible. We go to see some quick throws, a screen in there somewhere, and a few nice deep throws. I think more importantly, the play calls were getting out in a timely manner barring a few mishaps. I like that Kap seems more willing to throw to "covered" receivers and let them make a play. Boldin has essentially made a career doing that.

It is disappointing that the run game seems to have regressed slightly as of late. But that could simply be a product of game planning. What I'm more baffled at is what has happened to the pass protection. It went from absolutely atrocious just two weeks ago to pretty competent. Against a St. Louis team that can really get after the QB, the pocket was remarkably clean on numerous plays. And maybe that is what Kap needs. When he has time to chill in the pocket and make his reads, he seems to be pretty calm and collected, and makes accurate throws.

So once again, I don't think the gameplan was awful. The Niners absolutely need to show teams they can throw in order to loosen up those stacked boxes for the running game. If you had told me going in that the Niners planned on tossing it around quite a bit against the Rams, I would have thought you were crazy. That line would dominate the Niners. But, even with Staley and Iupati out, the Niners had a pretty nice day out there.
[ Edited by JoeBart324 on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM ]
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
I think the reasoning is that generally you'll have a linebacker or a safety on Miller when you shift him out wide. Miller seems pretty athletic and can probably beat his man fairly often (though I've never really seen the Niners make a point to throw it to him, at least with any consistency). When the Niners' put another wideout in the lineup in place of Miller, the defense will usually counter with a CB. Up to this point the Niners' wideouts have left much to be desired, which has probably contributed to the hesitation of putting in another wideout.

Also, iLL is correct in his main point. Putting Miller outside in a shift usually forces someone on the interior of the defense to shift out wide to account for Miller being there. If it is man coverage, that leaves quite a soft spot in the middle of the defense. It could also flood a zone leaving someone open.

I'm not saying the Niners should be running this often, just that is probably some of the logic behind it. Spread the defense out and try to exploit some weakness.

Ok. I think that's reasonable. After I asked the question I was thinking hmmm, maybe the idea is to draw out a heavy hitter like an lb or safety. You just don't see that kind of formation often. I suppose the next question would be if anybody notice whether it worked?
lol i luv everyone freaking out with Lining the FB out wide... gues what folks you do that from time to time to keep people honest then hit them when they become lax. Apparently we have people here who have some memory loss issuses, but in that formation we have hit the TE & even Miller for some big plays this yr.

Our lack of run game is not because a lack of game planning. Our O-Line just has not been the same this yr as it was last yr. Maybe Alex Mack at Center can fix that next yr,

I truly believe once we get into the playoffs you will see the playbook open up even more, and you will see a lot more new formations, and plays. Roman & Harbaugh will play it pretty boaring then open it up. Keeps the opposiing teams thinking. We may start to even see more of that with Crabs back.