There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
roman could never guess that he could have so many friends when he sees how many of us show up at his door to help move him to dc

Last offseason I volunteered to start cold calling various colleges and setting up some interviews for him.
right after the super bowl i volunteered for him to be first up for the knock out game. i of course was attacked by saying i should be happy he got us to within five yards of the super bowl title you and i were on the right side of history but we take no pleasure in it when we have seen how he has f**ked things up so much this year.. and no i do not feel like giving him credit for calling one good half of ball monday, the way he should be calling it all the damn time

Exactly cciowa
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Roman could be a deadly playcaller if he didnt make things so difficult on his own team , it's obvious by the amount of timeouts Kap has had to burn all season, and we all know the entire offense can get very confused at times ...If Roman was a school teacher, he would hand out a months worth of homework on friday and expect it all to be completed by monday...Sometimes he tries too hard to get the defense confused with his exotic formations, and in the process, he confuses his own team ...maybe it's growing pains, maybe it's due to information overload ....but hopefully keeping the offense together long enough to absorb the system will pay huge dividends ....but at times I personally wish he would scale things down at times and allow his studs to run wild ...because obviously Kap gets frustrated when there is too much information to digest ...the Panthers game was proof of that
NeeJ is one of the best posters here and sometimes his words should be carved on stone tablets to be preserved,,,,,,,,, however i could not get past the first six words bud i am to far along in the roman hate zone i am unable and unwilling to give him credit for anything. my problem, not yours
Roman could be a deadly playcaller if he didnt make things so difficult on his own team , it's obvious by the amount of timeouts Kap has had to burn all season, and we all know the entire offense can get very confused at times ...If Roman was a school teacher, he would hand out a months worth of homework on friday and expect it all to be completed by monday...Sometimes he tries too hard to get the defense confused with his exotic formations, and in the process, he confuses his own team ...maybe it's growing pains, maybe it's due to information overload ....but hopefully keeping the offense together long enough to absorb the system will pay huge dividends ....but at times I personally wish he would scale things down at times and allow his studs to run wild ...because obviously Kap gets frustrated when there is too much information to digest ...the Panthers game was proof of that
NeeJ is one of the best posters here and sometimes his words should be carved on stone tablets to be preserved,,,,,,,,, however i could not get past the first six words bud i am to far along in the roman hate zone i am unable and unwilling to give him credit for anything. my problem, not yours

It's all good Brother
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
roman could never guess that he could have so many friends when he sees how many of us show up at his door to help move him to dc

Last offseason I volunteered to start cold calling various colleges and setting up some interviews for him.
right after the super bowl i volunteered for him to be first up for the knock out game. i of course was attacked by saying i should be happy he got us to within five yards of the super bowl title you and i were on the right side of history but we take no pleasure in it when we have seen how he has f**ked things up so much this year.. and no i do not feel like giving him credit for calling one good half of ball monday, the way he should be calling it all the damn time

Exactly cciowa

i will tell you J he was actually starting to build up some good will with me when we won five in a row and he seemed to be playing to the strengths of the team but it went all up or down in flames during the panther game and i will never give him credit for anything. you know if we do not make the playoffs it will be 100 per cent on him for the colts and panthers fiasco
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

It's all good Brother
it did break my heart to disagree with you another thing to blame roman for
JoeCool, I see this happen all the time. I saw Manning instantly go after Brock in the NFCCG, I saw teams this year realize that Brock was balling after trying to target him with Johnson and then switch mid-stream and go after Brown instead (successfully)...quick screens against us in the Redskins game d/t our pass rush, etc. Us? Not so much...impose our will, I guess.

It's all good Brother
it did break my heart to disagree with you another thing to blame roman for

I too have lost patience with Roman ...I told others just because he called a halfway decent game on monday doesnt mean we need to let him off the hook .....once Roman gets the offense into a consistent ryhthm , I'll cut him some slack ...but if he calls a gem of a game against the Seahawks and we win ..I will personally send him a starbucks gift card or something
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I too have lost patience with Roman ...I told others just because he called a halfway decent game on monday doesnt mean we need to let him off the hook .....once Roman gets the offense into a consistent ryhthm , I'll cut him some slack ...but if he calls a gem of a game against the Seahawks and we win ..I will personally send him a starbucks gift card or something
if we ran the table,, i may throw him a bone but in two years he has shown no ability to make big calls in big games. you know the saying big players make big plays. i think the same can be said for roman. he helped f**k up the giants title game with the infamous pitch to kyle with a wet ball on a wet field in our own territory. the super bowl first and goal from the 7 has been well documented and so far this year he has been a train wreck vs a good defense that knows how to defend us
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 800 for MarkD.
With 3 plays being called by Roman to Harbaugh, Harbaugh then calls them to Kap who can stick with the primary or audible to one of the other two plays. The problem is the inexperience with Kapernick right now.
Originally posted by thl408:
Here's an article on why the Ravens changed OCs midway last season. I feel it has a lot to do with why HaRo's passing offense seems stagnant.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/baltimore-ravens-fire-offensive-coordinator-cam-cameron-replace-165009818--nfl.html

"In 2011, the Ravens ranked 30th in offensive formations of three receivers, setting up that way just 28 percent of the time. Cameron's insistence on sending his receivers on isolation routes, essentially forcing his players to beat coverage without the advantages provided by formation diversity, gave the Ravens' offense a handicap."

This goes back to HaRo's offensive philosophy in throwing out of personnel that features 2TEs and a FB on the field at the same time. The bolded is very applicable to this philosophy as it doesn't do the QB and the WRs any favors when they run routes in isolation. Lining up a WR out wide by himself can help the WR if he excels at route running and gaining separation, but if that is not a strength of the WR corp, then it works against the offense. All the good passing attacks in the league feature a spread element that utilizes route combinations to help the WRs get open. The 49ers do spread it out, but many times it's with a lumbering TE and a FB on the field which just isn't the same as having a 3rd/4th WR.

Post of the year....

And speaks volumes to my theory about why Roman looks great in some games and terrible in others. It was clear they had scouted the Hogs and decided to attack a particular CB. I sincerely believe this was part of the original game plan. However when a particular approach isn't working - ie a scouted tendency on defense can't be exploited as planned, we then go ultra safe or we continue to press without adjustment. That's my biggest problem with Roman. The slant was there all night. Now I do need to say that the game looks much different if the near pick Kap throws is actually caught. Sometimes he loses defensive players over the middle. Fundamentally, the offense hasn't changed. Kap still holds the ball too long off of play action waiting for someone to come open if the initial read isn't there. And I'm very suspect until this team plays a real game against a good or better opponent. I don't think it's just Roman - it's the entire offensive coaching staff (passing); Jeep Chryst and Johnnie Morton must go - particularly Morton who has overseen anemic development of the receiving corps.
Greg Roman is very creative for offense score? nope.. He is really failed and dumb cuz Kap didn't make the offense score and didnt work out. It's really sux!! Roman is worst the creative and not work out for sux offense score and nothings news!!
Originally posted by MarkD:
With 3 plays being called by Roman to Harbaugh, Harbaugh then calls them to Kap who can stick with the primary or audible to one of the other two plays. The problem is the inexperience with Kapernick right now.

Or the offensive coordinator has no business calling a pro level offense, the more likely issue. You can replace Kaepernick with whoever you like, this offense will continue to be largely ineffective because of the failing offensive philosophy behind it and the HORRENDOUS inability to adjust and take advantage of what the defensive is giving you.
ok we're back to being able to move the ball

NOW get the redzone situated

please please.

and continue to be aggressive don't be conservative anymore the rest of your career.
Roman is 2/3 to a retard in the Redzone
kill kill kill. The more I see this Awful archaic playcalling, the more I start to blame the OC and JH. Just terrible playcalling.