There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

I'm not even joking, Shanny may be absolutely ideal here with the WCO and the added prinicpals he's employed for RGIII. With a full-time focus on JUST the offense, hmmmm...
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm not even joking, Shanny may be absolutely ideal here with the WCO and the added prinicpals he's employed for RGIII. With a full-time focus on JUST the offense, hmmmm...

pride. is he willing to swallow it and become an OC? hes old enough now to just walk away and be content if he so chooses.
True Crab...it could also be that he wants to make amends with a modern day QB and wouldn't CK be the perfect fit?
Originally posted by NCommand:
True Crab...it could also be that he wants to make amends with a modern day QB and wouldn't CK be the perfect fit?

i would be all for it
A true WCO foundation (running game and passing) with some additional modern-day plays added in to fit the strengths of CK? Sign me the eff up!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,158
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by NCommand:
True Crab...it could also be that he wants to make amends with a modern day QB and wouldn't CK be the perfect fit?

i would be all for it
of course you should be i have broken one of my rules and that is not to get excited about something until it really happens. i have become the person I hate but in this case when talking about this possible scenario,,, that is more than ok
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,158
roman could never guess that he could have so many friends when he sees how many of us show up at his door to help move him to dc
Originally posted by NCommand:
A true WCO foundation (running game and passing) with some additional modern-day plays added in to fit the strengths of CK? Sign me the eff up!

I think all three of our backs would excel in a stretch run system.

I PMd you on this but what concerns me is the lack of balance we have. If we pass well, then we don't run well or vice versa and this is 100% on the coaches. Kap or Jim said after the game that they worked more on the passing game during the week. It was obvious during the game and it was more obvious they worked less on the run. Which brings me to question how many reps does each require for both to have success?

I don't think it is a good sign that one of the leagues top running team deflates that much if they don't get full focus in terms of reps. We have a young QB and more reps SHOULD go to him. We have vets in the run game so they should be able to execute on call. His makes me point to the over complicated formations. Maybe Roman should spend a little less time on over complicating the run game and more of that time simplifying the run but increasing the passing reps.

I still think the best offense we ran in the past 10 years was when Norv here. Well-timed play call versus complicated play call.
JoeCool, totally in agreement. I also think this offense is WAY too complicated. Not like a WCO-complicated, but complicated in all the shifts, personnel changes in-and-out, packages, motions, etc. It's insane. Yet on first downs, we gain next to nothing. Literally. I wonder what our total net production has been on first downs this year. It seems like we spend nothing but an afterthought on the passing game and even less on plays that would take advantages of the oppositions weaknesses. Have we EVER attacked an injured play (his backup)? Not staying with the run game against the Colts b/c "we didn't get back to those plays" also speaks to the tunnel vison this coaching staff has and their inability to steer from the "game plan." Lack of half time adjustments, slow starts to games, LOTS of obvious and predictable patterns, the AR passing game, etc. I just think the foundation of this offense is where all the issues start. We are 29th in first downs. Yikes.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM ]
Here's an article on why the Ravens changed OCs midway last season. I feel it has a lot to do with why HaRo's passing offense seems stagnant.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/baltimore-ravens-fire-offensive-coordinator-cam-cameron-replace-165009818--nfl.html

"In 2011, the Ravens ranked 30th in offensive formations of three receivers, setting up that way just 28 percent of the time. Cameron's insistence on sending his receivers on isolation routes, essentially forcing his players to beat coverage without the advantages provided by formation diversity, gave the Ravens' offense a handicap."


This goes back to HaRo's offensive philosophy in throwing out of personnel that features 2TEs and a FB on the field at the same time. The bolded is very applicable to this philosophy as it doesn't do the QB and the WRs any favors when they run routes in isolation. Lining up a WR out wide by himself can help the WR if he excels at route running and gaining separation, but if that is not a strength of the WR corp, then it works against the offense. All the good passing attacks in the league feature a spread element that utilizes route combinations to help the WRs get open. The 49ers do spread it out, but many times it's with a lumbering TE and a FB on the field which just isn't the same as having a 3rd/4th WR.
thl408! What a fantastic find. Man, THIS is spot on isn't it!? Funny b/c many in here made reference to this very scenario (with the Harbaughs). But like many said here, the difference in Baltimore was that John was not tied to or "married" to the OC there where Jim appears to be not only in offensive philosophy but Roman himself. Jim also has input into the game plan AND calls on the field. So letting Roman go would be going against Jim's own foundation.
Originally posted by NCommand:
JoeCool, totally in agreement. I also think this offense is WAY too complicated. Not like a WCO-complicated, but complicated in all the shifts, personnel changes in-and-out, packages, motions, etc. It's insane. Yet on first downs, we gain next to nothing. Literally. I wonder what our total net production has been on first downs this year. It seems like we spend nothing but an afterthought on the passing game and even less on plays that would take advantages of the oppositions weaknesses. Have we EVER attacked an injured play (his backup)? Not staying with the run game against the Colts b/c "we didn't get back to those plays" also speaks to the tunnel vison this coaching staff has and their inability to steer from the "game plan." Lack of half time adjustments, slow starts to games, LOTS of obvious and predictable patterns, the AR passing game, etc. I just think the foundation of this offense is where all the issues start. We are 29th in first downs. Yikes.

Cheers to the bold. Maybe all fans say this about their teams but I have rarely seen us attack a weak link. For example, Saints game, their DB gets away with PI and gets injured. We NEVER try another deep ball to Baldwin to force the issue and force a backup to make us beat him. Why wouldn't we dial that play up again? I understand the down and situation and type of defensive look also plays a role, but sometimes, we need to force the issue when there is a week link.

A lot of teams now are throwing deep due to the defenseless player rule. A lot of PI's are being called or Personal fouls. We don't take advantage of that.
Originally posted by cciowa:
roman could never guess that he could have so many friends when he sees how many of us show up at his door to help move him to dc

Last offseason I volunteered to start cold calling various colleges and setting up some interviews for him.
Roman could be a deadly playcaller if he didnt make things so difficult on his own team , it's obvious by the amount of timeouts Kap has had to burn all season, and we all know the entire offense can get very confused at times ...If Roman was a school teacher, he would hand out a months worth of homework on friday and expect it all to be completed by monday...Sometimes he tries too hard to get the defense confused with his exotic formations, and in the process, he confuses his own team ...maybe it's growing pains, maybe it's due to information overload ....but hopefully keeping the offense together long enough to absorb the system will pay huge dividends ....but at times I personally wish he would scale things down at times and allow his studs to run wild ...because obviously Kap gets frustrated when there is too much information to digest ...the Panthers game was proof of that
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,158
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by cciowa:
roman could never guess that he could have so many friends when he sees how many of us show up at his door to help move him to dc

Last offseason I volunteered to start cold calling various colleges and setting up some interviews for him.
right after the super bowl i volunteered for him to be first up for the knock out game. i of course was attacked by saying i should be happy he got us to within five yards of the super bowl title you and i were on the right side of history but we take no pleasure in it when we have seen how he has f**ked things up so much this year.. and no i do not feel like giving him credit for calling one good half of ball monday, the way he should be calling it all the damn time