There are 315 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by NCommand:
Good eye thl408 (sorry, my quote never works on my work cpu). I noticed that as well. Love it. And Gruden also noted in paraphrase, "I don't want to hear anymore injury excuses..I look down there and see VD, Gore, Boldin, etc. Those alone are some of THE best in the game and there is a lot you can do with just THOSE guys..." Then you also have James, Hunter, Baldwin, Manningham, Miller, McDonald, etc. I have NEVER bought into the "personnel issues." Ever...

it never was. it was roman
Originally posted by 5280High:
Yes the #1 issue has been playcalling, but playing a horrible defense masks some issues that probably havent been fixed yet.

the only issue it has had is being conservative...

note.

last night we went for it twice on 4th down

against the panthers on 4th and goal we didn't even attempt a play...

that's the difference.

the other teams load the box and dare us to pass, and in response we bring out 1wr sets...

the only difference is this week they loaded the box and we said ok we're going to send our weapons out and not bruce miller....

its really that simple
Can we all agree, and can we get some sort of way to send to roman
EXPAND THE OFFENSE THE RESULTS EXPAND.
LIMIT THE OFFENSE THE RESULTS ARE LIMITED

that's against any and all teams.

now if we go back to the conservative b******t at any point this season he has to be fired
period
also concerning the running game, let's not forget mike wasn't on the line, snyder was.
My simple take. Roman lost faith in Kap in Seahawks/Colts game. Him thinking he can't be counted on, we going to emphasize power-run game. But, we aren't good enough to run it down everyone's throat, at least the good teams.

Panthers/Saints game proved it. Hopefully we open up the pass a bit more.

I did see a slant and something real close to a draw. I hope there is a good reason we don't run screens.
Yeah, agreed, WAY too predictable; wasn't that impressed with the game planning last night against the Redskins (very poor team). We continue to easily win the 1on1 matchups against poor teams with Gore, Boldin and VD and win with defense and ST. Defending the Niners 101: 1) Follow Miller - where he goes, the ball goes 90% of the time 2) Stack 11 plus the ref in the box 3) If Hunter enters the game, it's a 10 minute developing stretch play off tackle...blow up by knifing through the huge gaps 4) 90% of first downs plays will be a run up the middle 5) Play press coverage and take the AR away (TIP: The AR is always Boldin or VD). 6) Play more golf now that the film work is done.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
My simple take. Roman lost faith in Kap in Seahawks/Colts game. Him thinking he can't be counted on, we going to emphasize power-run game. But, we aren't good enough to run it down everyone's throat, at least the good teams.

Panthers/Saints game proved it. Hopefully we open up the pass a bit more.

I did see a slant and something real close to a draw. I hope there is a good reason we don't run screens.

that's not true though old joe.
we can run it on anyone. gore had 70 yards on 13 carries against the panthers. and if he had 26 carries against the saints he was on pace for about 100 yards.

they didn't stick with the run. and then didn't put real options out to pass.
miller should never go out for another pass this year

its really that simple open the passing offense up
because every time we do, i mean really open it up not try to throw a lot of passes that are designed to fail. kap has rose to the circumstance has he not?
it was really a case of letting them unleash kap. now they really have no excuses with crabtree coming back.

hopefully he realizes he can be both.

power run with gore

and aggressive multiple route passing with bruce miller NEVER going out for another route again.

now you have crabtree boldin manningham davis and macdonald to throw to. USE THEM
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, agreed, WAY too predictable; wasn't that impressed with the game planning last night against the Redskins (very poor team). We continue to easily win the 1on1 matchups against poor teams with Gore, Boldin and VD and win with defense and ST. Defending the Niners 101: 1) Follow Miller - where he goes, the ball goes 90% of the time 2) Stack 11 plus the ref in the box 3) If Hunter enters the game, it's a 10 minute developing stretch play off tackle...blow up by knifing through the huge gaps 4) 90% of first downs plays will be a run up the middle 5) Play press coverage and take the AR away (TIP: The AR is always Boldin or VD). 6) Play more golf now that the film work is done.

the thing with this little changes make huge differences.

if the route is crab boldin vd and macdonald
that is light years better than boldin davis miller and x.

and if they continue to make every person running a route an actual read and continue to dial that up we see what can happen.

he now has 3wr he really trusts when for the first 8 games he only had 1 and then the 2nd wasn't used in the 8th and 9th game a lot.

we just have to hope he keeps expanding. every time he has kap has risen to the challenge.

maybe he can admit he was holding the team back himself being conservative.

can't call plays hoping to not make a mistake.

have to call them to attack.

rushing wise when mike returns should go back to normal
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Credit where credit is due. It wasn't a perfect game but I thought GRO called a much better game this week. They spread Washington out a bit more than they have been doing with teams and I thought it was effective. Say what you want about the guy but he definitely called a better game. I loved the designed Kaepernick run with the two pulling guards. Good stuff.

They have the worst defense in the league...and basically shut our running game down. I just don't understand the thinking really. If you have a team that's daring you to throw with single coverage all around....you need to throw.

This feels like a high school team or something.

This is what has me confused, Harbaugh an ex NFL QB would have been lickin his chops at this (single coverage) baffling
[ Edited by jimrat on Nov 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM ]
altho I am no fan of roman, he finally called a better game. But...........running frank into the box 8 EIGHT times was moronic. OK, it was and remains stupid. YO roman, box 8,9 or 10, DO NOT RUN FRANK INTO IT. Even the bad Redskin D could stop frank, and no wonder, 8 on 5 works out badly.

Ok, credit where due . The jumbo pak on the goal line with a TERRIFIC fake by kap( his truly first great fake this yr), sold the D, and #85 got yet another TD, untouched. It actually was embarrassing, but way to go HaRo.

Actually called a handful of crossing patterns or close in passes, and lo and behold, the some of the box 8 backed off the LOS. Good call HaRo.

After that, the 15-20 yarders opened up, but NOT until some quick 2-3 second quick hitters were thrown first. Can roman remember that into the next upcoming games?

Finally a pass to Vance. Way to go Haro. Surprise, surprise, he caught it too.

Caution: this was a shell of a team. Their performance was pathetic. Can kap do this again under pressure, something he didn't see last nite? I hope so , but until we can beat an elite team with the BIG RUSH , this game was just a breather while we wait for the remainder of the NFC West.

a
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He's not out of jail yet!

This is just a reprieve.

This must improve and continue all the way to the Super Bowl!!!

My sentiment exactly.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Originally posted by cciowa:
he gets no pass with me,... why in the world would we heap praise on a man for calling good plays for one half, the way he should be doing it all the f**king time??

I wouldn't say he's getting heaping praise. He did call a better game overall than he has the past few weeks though. There were some calls that left me scratching my head, and a few hiccups with getting the call in on time. But overall it was a much cleaner game. Roman actually decided to throw the ball against an 8-9 man front, which at this point seems bizarre. He also incorporated in some slants to Manningham which was nice to see.

The hope is moving forward he can continue this. Teams are going to continue to try and shut down the Niners' rushing attack and dare Kap to throw. If the Niners can exploit this, they should be fine moving forward. The defense is playing very well. The offense needs to step up a bit and they will be fine.

Call this game a stepping stone (though it never should have came to this point to begin with).
i understand some of your points but it is beyond pathetic we are calling this a stepping stone for a guy who has been doing this for two plus years. he still has not shown he can do this against a good team this year

It's interesting you bring up the play calling in the second half vs. the first half. I notice that too. It is almost as if he does not really know how he wants to attack an opponent until he has seen their first few defensive drives. Sorta like a fighter in the first round. It seems that this offense has always woken up in the second half of games, if they wake up at all. There are only a handful of games that they have played solid consistent football throughout an entire game.
Funny as hell that GR was getting mentioned as an HC candidate from the Redskins MB- Posted Yesterday, 11:42 AM

I like the idea of Greg Roman coming in. We would keep some continuity in the offense.

He was OC at Stanford for a couple of years.

Has been with Carolina, Baltimore and Houston, so he knows about NFL teams.

As for a DC, I would hope they can get somebody like Lovey Smith.

BTW- Does anybody know when Kyles contract expires ??

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374346-who-is-the-best-potential-head-coach-that-is-available/page-2

Please please take him!
My biggest Roman gripe is going into a shell when going up against better defenses.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Nov 27, 2013 at 12:57 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Funny as hell that GR was getting mentioned as an HC candidate from the Redskins MB- Posted Yesterday, 11:42 AM

I like the idea of Greg Roman coming in. We would keep some continuity in the offense.

He was OC at Stanford for a couple of years.

Has been with Carolina, Baltimore and Houston, so he knows about NFL teams.

As for a DC, I would hope they can get somebody like Lovey Smith.

BTW- Does anybody know when Kyles contract expires ??

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374346-who-is-the-best-potential-head-coach-that-is-available/page-2

Please please take him!
My biggest Roman gripe is going into a shell when going up against better defenses.
my god,, i would trade roman for Mike S in a new york minute. even if Mike s would only come in here for a year or two. just enough to mentor rathman to take over and then roman can take his clown show to washington.. your fear about roman is well justified and is or should be a concern to every single niner fan moving forward as the team enters a must win situation every week
LOLOLOL! I'm not even going to say anything - let them (and hopefully their team GM and owners) keep naively believing Roman would be a good HC candidate. Makes us one step closer of finally getting rid of him and getting a real professional NFL OC . Hell, I'd swap Roman for Shanny any day.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Nov 27, 2013 at 9:29 AM ]