LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
altho I am no fan of roman, he finally called a better game. But...........running frank into the box 8 EIGHT times was moronic. OK, it was and remains stupid. YO roman, box 8,9 or 10, DO NOT RUN FRANK INTO IT. Even the bad Redskin D could stop frank, and no wonder, 8 on 5 works out badly.

Ok, credit where due . The jumbo pak on the goal line with a TERRIFIC fake by kap( his truly first great fake this yr), sold the D, and #85 got yet another TD, untouched. It actually was embarrassing, but way to go HaRo.

Actually called a handful of crossing patterns or close in passes, and lo and behold, the some of the box 8 backed off the LOS. Good call HaRo.

After that, the 15-20 yarders opened up, but NOT until some quick 2-3 second quick hitters were thrown first. Can roman remember that into the next upcoming games?

Finally a pass to Vance. Way to go Haro. Surprise, surprise, he caught it too.

Caution: this was a shell of a team. Their performance was pathetic. Can kap do this again under pressure, something he didn't see last nite? I hope so , but until we can beat an elite team with the BIG RUSH , this game was just a breather while we wait for the remainder of the NFC West.

a
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Originally posted by cciowa:
he gets no pass with me,... why in the world would we heap praise on a man for calling good plays for one half, the way he should be doing it all the f**king time??

I wouldn't say he's getting heaping praise. He did call a better game overall than he has the past few weeks though. There were some calls that left me scratching my head, and a few hiccups with getting the call in on time. But overall it was a much cleaner game. Roman actually decided to throw the ball against an 8-9 man front, which at this point seems bizarre. He also incorporated in some slants to Manningham which was nice to see.

The hope is moving forward he can continue this. Teams are going to continue to try and shut down the Niners' rushing attack and dare Kap to throw. If the Niners can exploit this, they should be fine moving forward. The defense is playing very well. The offense needs to step up a bit and they will be fine.

Call this game a stepping stone (though it never should have came to this point to begin with).
i understand some of your points but it is beyond pathetic we are calling this a stepping stone for a guy who has been doing this for two plus years. he still has not shown he can do this against a good team this year

It's interesting you bring up the play calling in the second half vs. the first half. I notice that too. It is almost as if he does not really know how he wants to attack an opponent until he has seen their first few defensive drives. Sorta like a fighter in the first round. It seems that this offense has always woken up in the second half of games, if they wake up at all. There are only a handful of games that they have played solid consistent football throughout an entire game.
Funny as hell that GR was getting mentioned as an HC candidate from the Redskins MB- Posted Yesterday, 11:42 AM

I like the idea of Greg Roman coming in. We would keep some continuity in the offense.

He was OC at Stanford for a couple of years.

Has been with Carolina, Baltimore and Houston, so he knows about NFL teams.

As for a DC, I would hope they can get somebody like Lovey Smith.

BTW- Does anybody know when Kyles contract expires ??

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374346-who-is-the-best-potential-head-coach-that-is-available/page-2

Please please take him!
My biggest Roman gripe is going into a shell when going up against better defenses.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Nov 27, 2013 at 12:57 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Funny as hell that GR was getting mentioned as an HC candidate from the Redskins MB- Posted Yesterday, 11:42 AM

I like the idea of Greg Roman coming in. We would keep some continuity in the offense.

He was OC at Stanford for a couple of years.

Has been with Carolina, Baltimore and Houston, so he knows about NFL teams.

As for a DC, I would hope they can get somebody like Lovey Smith.

BTW- Does anybody know when Kyles contract expires ??

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374346-who-is-the-best-potential-head-coach-that-is-available/page-2

Please please take him!
My biggest Roman gripe is going into a shell when going up against better defenses.
my god,, i would trade roman for Mike S in a new york minute. even if Mike s would only come in here for a year or two. just enough to mentor rathman to take over and then roman can take his clown show to washington.. your fear about roman is well justified and is or should be a concern to every single niner fan moving forward as the team enters a must win situation every week
LOLOLOL! I'm not even going to say anything - let them (and hopefully their team GM and owners) keep naively believing Roman would be a good HC candidate. Makes us one step closer of finally getting rid of him and getting a real professional NFL OC . Hell, I'd swap Roman for Shanny any day.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Nov 27, 2013 at 9:29 AM ]
I'm not even joking, Shanny may be absolutely ideal here with the WCO and the added prinicpals he's employed for RGIII. With a full-time focus on JUST the offense, hmmmm...
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm not even joking, Shanny may be absolutely ideal here with the WCO and the added prinicpals he's employed for RGIII. With a full-time focus on JUST the offense, hmmmm...

pride. is he willing to swallow it and become an OC? hes old enough now to just walk away and be content if he so chooses.
True Crab...it could also be that he wants to make amends with a modern day QB and wouldn't CK be the perfect fit?
True Crab...it could also be that he wants to make amends with a modern day QB and wouldn't CK be the perfect fit?

i would be all for it
A true WCO foundation (running game and passing) with some additional modern-day plays added in to fit the strengths of CK? Sign me the eff up!

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:

i would be all for it
of course you should be i have broken one of my rules and that is not to get excited about something until it really happens. i have become the person I hate but in this case when talking about this possible scenario,,, that is more than ok
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
roman could never guess that he could have so many friends when he sees how many of us show up at his door to help move him to dc
A true WCO foundation (running game and passing) with some additional modern-day plays added in to fit the strengths of CK? Sign me the eff up!

I think all three of our backs would excel in a stretch run system.

I PMd you on this but what concerns me is the lack of balance we have. If we pass well, then we don't run well or vice versa and this is 100% on the coaches. Kap or Jim said after the game that they worked more on the passing game during the week. It was obvious during the game and it was more obvious they worked less on the run. Which brings me to question how many reps does each require for both to have success?

I don't think it is a good sign that one of the leagues top running team deflates that much if they don't get full focus in terms of reps. We have a young QB and more reps SHOULD go to him. We have vets in the run game so they should be able to execute on call. His makes me point to the over complicated formations. Maybe Roman should spend a little less time on over complicating the run game and more of that time simplifying the run but increasing the passing reps.

I still think the best offense we ran in the past 10 years was when Norv here. Well-timed play call versus complicated play call.
JoeCool, totally in agreement. I also think this offense is WAY too complicated. Not like a WCO-complicated, but complicated in all the shifts, personnel changes in-and-out, packages, motions, etc. It's insane. Yet on first downs, we gain next to nothing. Literally. I wonder what our total net production has been on first downs this year. It seems like we spend nothing but an afterthought on the passing game and even less on plays that would take advantages of the oppositions weaknesses. Have we EVER attacked an injured play (his backup)? Not staying with the run game against the Colts b/c "we didn't get back to those plays" also speaks to the tunnel vison this coaching staff has and their inability to steer from the "game plan." Lack of half time adjustments, slow starts to games, LOTS of obvious and predictable patterns, the AR passing game, etc. I just think the foundation of this offense is where all the issues start. We are 29th in first downs. Yikes.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM ]
  • thl408
Here's an article on why the Ravens changed OCs midway last season. I feel it has a lot to do with why HaRo's passing offense seems stagnant.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/baltimore-ravens-fire-offensive-coordinator-cam-cameron-replace-165009818--nfl.html

"In 2011, the Ravens ranked 30th in offensive formations of three receivers, setting up that way just 28 percent of the time. Cameron's insistence on sending his receivers on isolation routes, essentially forcing his players to beat coverage without the advantages provided by formation diversity, gave the Ravens' offense a handicap."

This goes back to HaRo's offensive philosophy in throwing out of personnel that features 2TEs and a FB on the field at the same time. The bolded is very applicable to this philosophy as it doesn't do the QB and the WRs any favors when they run routes in isolation. Lining up a WR out wide by himself can help the WR if he excels at route running and gaining separation, but if that is not a strength of the WR corp, then it works against the offense. All the good passing attacks in the league feature a spread element that utilizes route combinations to help the WRs get open. The 49ers do spread it out, but many times it's with a lumbering TE and a FB on the field which just isn't the same as having a 3rd/4th WR.
Share 49ersWebzone