There are 63 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by jreff22:
While I agree, the TE is VD...he is a 2nd WR in our system. Leaving Vance in to block and one of the RB/FB to help block and letting the other work underneath is not a bad thing.

its a horrible thing because then you only have 2wr out there which is a base set, and then you have a fb or rb out in the flat. they're not running routes that stretch the field.

you can cover 2 you can't cover 3 if 1 is stretching 1 is intermediate and 1 is underneath. you don't have to respect miller in the passing game and teams havent.

when you use macdonald in the passing game, you see how wide open he can get when you HAVE to focus on vd and boldin.

look for it to get sweeter if they keep the expansive offense like tonight AND send manningham out there for the 3rd wr spot. and macdonald as the 2nd te spot.

crab comes back you automatically have to respect him
boldin automatically have to respect him.

that means davis isn't and can't get a top db on him again, also means if it's a safety then the 3rd or 4th best db is going to be on manningham

also means that some linebacker (and i do mean some linebacker because it won't be their best because they have to guard against gore) is going to be on macdonald... and that's where we consistently win matchups.

trot 2wr (crab and boldin) 2te (davis macdonald)

3 of those 4 options you absolutely CANNOT afford to let free.

the 4th will have so much room to operate, and especially over the middle with attention commanded outside? ridiculous.

run crab and boldin to either out route pattern.

send davis on a seam up the field in the middle

macdonald will have 10-15 of clear open space in the middle of the field in man or zone because of the stretching our options demand.
[ Edited by jonesadrian on Nov 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM ]
We were amazing with Alex on first down. But I attribute that to play-calling. Tonight we'd always run and get like 2-3 yards. Did we do any sort of play-action once on 1st down?
[ Edited by defenderDX on Nov 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM ]
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
its a horrible thing because then you only have 2wr out there which is a base set, and then you have a fb or rb out in the flat. they're not running routes that stretch the field.

you can cover 2 you can't cover 3 if 1 is stretching 1 is intermediate and 1 is underneath. you don't have to respect miller in the passing game and teams havent.


We dont need somebody stretching the field all the time. I'm fine with 2 5yd pass plays. We can put a RB in the flat or sit him underneath all day and dump him the ball. Sending somebody deep all the time is making Kap look for it while ignoring whats right in front of him.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
We were amazing with Alex on first down. But I attribute that to play-calling. Tonight we'd always run and get like 2-3 yards. Did we do any sort of play-action once on 1st down?

kind of. the main thing was a different play action. not a shotgun fake pistol play action. he did a traditional play action which killed defenses

we actually ran a delayed handoff as well

it wasn't under center run, shotgun pass for once and those little changes make the difference.

also we dialed up more plays that had potential so we hit on more plays
AND with exception to 1 time we got the plays in on time enough for kap to make his adjustments in a timely manner and get the plays off smoothly.

folks were acting like he got to the line with 20 seconds left and then wasted it.

if he can get everyone lined up with 13 seconds on the play clock, i like our odds of making a good audible if need be and completing a successful play.
Originally posted by jreff22:
We dont need somebody stretching the field all the time. I'm fine with 2 5yd pass plays. We can put a RB in the flat or sit him underneath all day and dump him the ball. Sending somebody deep all the time is making Kap look for it while ignoring whats right in front of him.

yes we do.
we need it so that those passes can happen. if everyone is near the line of scrimmage and the passes are of those variety then we won't get 1st down.

we need the threat or option that it can happen to open things up underneath.

case in point, tonight we threw a few slants to manningham against close coverage which is what we should have done the previous 2 weeks and what we should continue to do.

as a result of those plays that went for 10 yards a pop... they backed off of him and opened up everything else.

the only way a rb can be wide open in the flat like hunter was on that 3rd down play, is if the defense has to respect the long and intermediate routes and are willing to give up the short routes.

they cannot cover them all.

so we need them because they have to concede something.
Finally a decent play calling from this douche. He almost went on conservative mode, but I'm glad he fuccing realized that we had to put that pedal to the metal until the opponent is flat out dead on the field. Hope he continues to have a better gameplan like this for the rest of the season.
Well, it's poppin'... yeah... Greg Roman's f**kin' zipper in that announcing booth.
Credit where credit is due. It wasn't a perfect game but I thought GRO called a much better game this week. They spread Washington out a bit more than they have been doing with teams and I thought it was effective. Say what you want about the guy but he definitely called a better game. I loved the designed Kaepernick run with the two pulling guards. Good stuff.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Credit where credit is due. It wasn't a perfect game but I thought GRO called a much better game this week. They spread Washington out a bit more than they have been doing with teams and I thought it was effective. Say what you want about the guy but he definitely called a better game. I loved the designed Kaepernick run with the two pulling guards. Good stuff.

Interesting how that works, when the QB just plays loosely and lets the ball go.

Keep it up, Kaep... trust in the routes and targets down the field, and hit those checkdowns when need be.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
We were amazing with Alex on first down. But I attribute that to play-calling. Tonight we'd always run and get like 2-3 yards. Did we do any sort of play-action once on 1st down?

kind of. the main thing was a different play action. not a shotgun fake pistol play action. he did a traditional play action which killed defenses

we actually ran a delayed handoff as well

it wasn't under center run, shotgun pass for once and those little changes make the difference.

also we dialed up more plays that had potential so we hit on more plays
AND with exception to 1 time we got the plays in on time enough for kap to make his adjustments in a timely manner and get the plays off smoothly.

folks were acting like he got to the line with 20 seconds left and then wasted it.

if he can get everyone lined up with 13 seconds on the play clock, i like our odds of making a good audible if need be and completing a successful play.

I think the bolded was one of the more important reasons the team was successful last night. The Niners weren't scrambling to get to the line and Kap was able to read the D, make his adjustments or change the play, take another peek at the D and then snap the ball.

Granted it does help to go against a bad defense. But for the majority of the night Kap looked pretty comfortable throwing the ball. He had a few awful throws, but overall seemed to trust his receivers to get the ball.
[ Edited by JoeBart324 on Nov 26, 2013 at 8:16 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,073
hope roman can remember to sell the run to set up the pass. is that to much to ask roman?
Originally posted by cciowa:
hope roman can remember to sell the run to set up the pass. is that to much to ask roman?

Yeah, now he's gonna have a game plan full of 5-7 step drops

If Kap could learn to check down this offense would roll. Even Harbs seemed pissed that Kap missed allot of easy checkdowns.
Originally posted by 5280High:

If Kap could learn to check down this offense would roll. Even Harbs seemed pissed that Kap missed allot of easy checkdowns.

If I had a complaint about last nights game this would be the biggest one. There were numerous checkdowns that could have gone for 5-7 yard gains and/or easy first downs. Those are plays that need to made against better teams.
He's not out of jail yet!

This is just a reprieve.

This must improve and continue all the way to the Super Bowl!!!
Originally posted by jimrat:
Even Gruden was scratching his head on the playcalling.........man to man on the outsides and one safety in the middle......8 guys in the box........cmon Roman!

I don't understand what's happening with the playcalls....but one thing I did notice is that Kap would sometimes inexplicably audible out of a play and into a run which would promptly get stuffed.

I think you need to take guesswork out his hand...don't give him three plays. Give him one play, and make him run it.