LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
We were amazing with Alex on first down. But I attribute that to play-calling. Tonight we'd always run and get like 2-3 yards. Did we do any sort of play-action once on 1st down?

kind of. the main thing was a different play action. not a shotgun fake pistol play action. he did a traditional play action which killed defenses

we actually ran a delayed handoff as well

it wasn't under center run, shotgun pass for once and those little changes make the difference.

also we dialed up more plays that had potential so we hit on more plays
AND with exception to 1 time we got the plays in on time enough for kap to make his adjustments in a timely manner and get the plays off smoothly.

folks were acting like he got to the line with 20 seconds left and then wasted it.

if he can get everyone lined up with 13 seconds on the play clock, i like our odds of making a good audible if need be and completing a successful play.

I think the bolded was one of the more important reasons the team was successful last night. The Niners weren't scrambling to get to the line and Kap was able to read the D, make his adjustments or change the play, take another peek at the D and then snap the ball.

Granted it does help to go against a bad defense. But for the majority of the night Kap looked pretty comfortable throwing the ball. He had a few awful throws, but overall seemed to trust his receivers to get the ball.
[ Edited by JoeBart324 on Nov 26, 2013 at 8:16 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
hope roman can remember to sell the run to set up the pass. is that to much to ask roman?
Originally posted by cciowa:
hope roman can remember to sell the run to set up the pass. is that to much to ask roman?

Yeah, now he's gonna have a game plan full of 5-7 step drops

If Kap could learn to check down this offense would roll. Even Harbs seemed pissed that Kap missed allot of easy checkdowns.
Originally posted by 5280High:

If Kap could learn to check down this offense would roll. Even Harbs seemed pissed that Kap missed allot of easy checkdowns.

If I had a complaint about last nights game this would be the biggest one. There were numerous checkdowns that could have gone for 5-7 yard gains and/or easy first downs. Those are plays that need to made against better teams.
He's not out of jail yet!

This is just a reprieve.

This must improve and continue all the way to the Super Bowl!!!
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
Even Gruden was scratching his head on the playcalling.........man to man on the outsides and one safety in the middle......8 guys in the box........cmon Roman!

I don't understand what's happening with the playcalls....but one thing I did notice is that Kap would sometimes inexplicably audible out of a play and into a run which would promptly get stuffed.

I think you need to take guesswork out his hand...don't give him three plays. Give him one play, and make him run it.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Credit where credit is due. It wasn't a perfect game but I thought GRO called a much better game this week. They spread Washington out a bit more than they have been doing with teams and I thought it was effective. Say what you want about the guy but he definitely called a better game. I loved the designed Kaepernick run with the two pulling guards. Good stuff.

They have the worst defense in the league...and basically shut our running game down. I just don't understand the thinking really. If you have a team that's daring you to throw with single coverage all around....you need to throw.

This feels like a high school team or something.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
We've continued to run the same gameplan, and what we've established is that it's effective against sub-par teams like the Redskins and Jaguars. But it also continues to fail against good teams like the Saints and Panthers.

This was Roman and Harbaugh's opportunity to incorporate new offensive weapons into the gameplan. We should have targeted Baldwin and McDonald more often, and allow Kaepernick to develop chemistry with new weapons.

This was the game to do it, and instead, it was still more of the same.

Yeah, we won. But we should beat inferior teams.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He's not out of jail yet!

This is just a reprieve.

This must improve and continue all the way to the Super Bowl!!!

Agreed, if he provides good game plans to close out the season and stop all the cutesy BS then He can have a pass. This offense needs to prove it against some good defenses at this point in the season. Yeah we beat the rams and cards before, but if we show consistency against the rams, cards, and hawks it will be huge.
Lets also remember that we played the 28th total defense, (31st in scoring, 26th in passing, 14th in rushing). We've proved we can beat crappy teams, can he call plays when it matters... there is only 4 points that separates us from 9-2 compared to 7-4.

Originally posted by JoeBart324:
I think the bolded was one of the more important reasons the team was successful last night. The Niners weren't scrambling to get to the line and Kap was able to read the D, make his adjustments or change the play, take another peek at the D and then snap the ball.

Granted it does help to go against a bad defense. But for the majority of the night Kap looked pretty comfortable throwing the ball. He had a few awful throws, but overall seemed to trust his receivers to get the ball.
there were nfl caliber players out there on the redskins defense.
if he has the time pre snap he can make the right decision that's proven.
if you give him even a little time he can make all the right throws that's proven.
the problem is against better teams, the coaching staff tenses up and goes quaker conservative and we need to be doing the opposite.
there's no reason we could not have run this offense in all 4 of our losses this season.
not a fake attempt at passing, a real legit one. along with power running. there's no reason we can't do this every week. ill accept this every week...

you see the difference. he gets multiple opportunities multiple people get the ball. you only give him certain types of passes and only a small amount of those have any real potential? he's going to boldin or vd that's it.

last night the pass to macdonald would have went to vd down the middle IF they hadn't been dialing up those plays all night.
but because he had those already and knew he was going to get more... he made the read and then saw macdonald open and delivered the ball.
its no coincidence that once they sent macdonald out with manningham and not bruce miller... that other people caught passes...

keep that up and power run, no more stretch run plays... we don't do stretch runs we just did this last night to try to stick it to the redskins which made no sense. power runs do them often then we're going to be elite on offense.

EXPAND THE OFFENSE
EXPAND THE PERSONNEL
Originally posted by kray28:
They have the worst defense in the league...and basically shut our running game down. I just don't understand the thinking really. If you have a team that's daring you to throw with single coverage all around....you need to throw.

no we ran stretch runs to the perimeter the entire night.
they practice against stretch runs their entire season.
we need to stick to power runs. and pound the rock.
however the power run did a great job setting up a real play action
Originally posted by kray28:

They shut our running game down by puting 10 guys in the box! The Colts defense is rotten too but they used the same game plan that Washington did and we're successful doing it. What this tells me is that the 49ers have improved. BTW, nobody runs into a ten man box. I don't care how bad a defense is they can stop any run game with that many guys. The Redskins dared Kaepernick to throw and he threw the ball successfully. He threw 3 TD passes. What more do you want? Was he supposed to continue to throw all over the lot when they're up 3 scores? Guess the haters are never happy. High school offense? Some weeks. Not last night. They did what they had to do and showed improvement and all I was doing is giving the offense and GRO credit for that. Nothing I said warranted your post trying to throw s**t at the team and myself for trying to give them a little credit after a tough two week stretch.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Lets also remember that we played the 28th total defense, (31st in scoring, 26th in passing, 14th in rushing). We've proved we can beat crappy teams, can he call plays when it matters... there is only 4 points that separates us from 9-2 compared to 7-4.

the difference is the play calling.
they're aggressive against inferior teams
they need to be aggressive against good teams. that's all there is to it.
we didn't run the personnel or types of plays out there against the saints or the panthers
if we did we would have won going away
if we ran that offense last night the entire season we could realistically be 10-0

just fix the runs
run the ball with power wham traps run those without stopping and it's hard to beat us.
It's nice Roman can call semi-decent games against weaker opponents but can he do it consistently, and most importantly, against strong defenses? That has yet to be seen this year.

I'm sorry but it's to give him too much credit given the incompetence of the Redskins D. Let's see how we do against the Rams D.
Share 49ersWebzone