LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Even Gruden was scratching his head on the playcalling.........man to man on the outsides and one safety in the middle......8 guys in the box........cmon Roman!
Our offense lacks any kind of rhythm. We don't give our QB a chance to get into a groove. Every 1st down is a struggle. We have very few 2nd and short or 3rd and shorts. I find it depressing. I'm glad we won, but its the lowly Skins.
  • thl408
You guys noticed all those WR screens that WAS ran? Gruden did a little segment on it. That playbook is chock full of AR2 plays. Run up against a LB crew like the 49ers and it's useless. The pass distribution was okay with Vance getting thrown a bone. Saw a few no huddles where Kap tried to channel his inner Peyton. Offense looked good after the first couple possessions. Slow starts are something the 49ers can't seem to avoid.
Would like to know both play calls Kap is given. Remember Kap is picking which play to run....it could be that his inexperience is making him pick the wrong one.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Would like to know both play calls Kap is given. Remember Kap is picking which play to run....it could be that his inexperience is making him pick the wrong one.

he gets 3.

and there's only so much you can do with the personnel you're given.

so if he's given 3 plays and has 2te's a fb and only 1wr doesn't matter against an 8 or 9 man front. not too much you can do correct?

NOW

if you give him 2 or 3wr's and 3 plays then you see what he does with that...

and also you see if they get the play in on time he has time to make the right adjustments.

i don't think he made a bad play call tonight. he made some bad decisions at points but overall the only way to be successful is multiple opportunities throughout a game.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

he gets 3.

and there's only so much you can do with the personnel you're given.

so if he's given 3 plays and has 2te's a fb and only 1wr doesn't matter against an 8 or 9 man front. not too much you can do correct?

NOW

if you give him 2 or 3wr's and 3 plays then you see what he does with that...

and also you see if they get the play in on time he has time to make the right adjustments.

i don't think he made a bad play call tonight. he made some bad decisions at points but overall the only way to be successful is multiple opportunities throughout a game.
While I agree, the TE is VD...he is a 2nd WR in our system. Leaving Vance in to block and one of the RB/FB to help block and letting the other work underneath is not a bad thing.
While I agree, the TE is VD...he is a 2nd WR in our system. Leaving Vance in to block and one of the RB/FB to help block and letting the other work underneath is not a bad thing.

its a horrible thing because then you only have 2wr out there which is a base set, and then you have a fb or rb out in the flat. they're not running routes that stretch the field.

you can cover 2 you can't cover 3 if 1 is stretching 1 is intermediate and 1 is underneath. you don't have to respect miller in the passing game and teams havent.

when you use macdonald in the passing game, you see how wide open he can get when you HAVE to focus on vd and boldin.

look for it to get sweeter if they keep the expansive offense like tonight AND send manningham out there for the 3rd wr spot. and macdonald as the 2nd te spot.

crab comes back you automatically have to respect him
boldin automatically have to respect him.

that means davis isn't and can't get a top db on him again, also means if it's a safety then the 3rd or 4th best db is going to be on manningham

also means that some linebacker (and i do mean some linebacker because it won't be their best because they have to guard against gore) is going to be on macdonald... and that's where we consistently win matchups.

trot 2wr (crab and boldin) 2te (davis macdonald)

3 of those 4 options you absolutely CANNOT afford to let free.

the 4th will have so much room to operate, and especially over the middle with attention commanded outside? ridiculous.

run crab and boldin to either out route pattern.

send davis on a seam up the field in the middle

macdonald will have 10-15 of clear open space in the middle of the field in man or zone because of the stretching our options demand.
[ Edited by jonesadrian on Nov 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM ]
We were amazing with Alex on first down. But I attribute that to play-calling. Tonight we'd always run and get like 2-3 yards. Did we do any sort of play-action once on 1st down?
[ Edited by defenderDX on Nov 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM ]
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
its a horrible thing because then you only have 2wr out there which is a base set, and then you have a fb or rb out in the flat. they're not running routes that stretch the field.

you can cover 2 you can't cover 3 if 1 is stretching 1 is intermediate and 1 is underneath. you don't have to respect miller in the passing game and teams havent.

We dont need somebody stretching the field all the time. I'm fine with 2 5yd pass plays. We can put a RB in the flat or sit him underneath all day and dump him the ball. Sending somebody deep all the time is making Kap look for it while ignoring whats right in front of him.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
We were amazing with Alex on first down. But I attribute that to play-calling. Tonight we'd always run and get like 2-3 yards. Did we do any sort of play-action once on 1st down?

kind of. the main thing was a different play action. not a shotgun fake pistol play action. he did a traditional play action which killed defenses

we actually ran a delayed handoff as well

it wasn't under center run, shotgun pass for once and those little changes make the difference.

also we dialed up more plays that had potential so we hit on more plays
AND with exception to 1 time we got the plays in on time enough for kap to make his adjustments in a timely manner and get the plays off smoothly.

folks were acting like he got to the line with 20 seconds left and then wasted it.

if he can get everyone lined up with 13 seconds on the play clock, i like our odds of making a good audible if need be and completing a successful play.

We dont need somebody stretching the field all the time. I'm fine with 2 5yd pass plays. We can put a RB in the flat or sit him underneath all day and dump him the ball. Sending somebody deep all the time is making Kap look for it while ignoring whats right in front of him.

yes we do.
we need it so that those passes can happen. if everyone is near the line of scrimmage and the passes are of those variety then we won't get 1st down.

we need the threat or option that it can happen to open things up underneath.

case in point, tonight we threw a few slants to manningham against close coverage which is what we should have done the previous 2 weeks and what we should continue to do.

as a result of those plays that went for 10 yards a pop... they backed off of him and opened up everything else.

the only way a rb can be wide open in the flat like hunter was on that 3rd down play, is if the defense has to respect the long and intermediate routes and are willing to give up the short routes.

they cannot cover them all.

so we need them because they have to concede something.
Finally a decent play calling from this douche. He almost went on conservative mode, but I'm glad he fuccing realized that we had to put that pedal to the metal until the opponent is flat out dead on the field. Hope he continues to have a better gameplan like this for the rest of the season.
Well, it's poppin'... yeah... Greg Roman's f**kin' zipper in that announcing booth.
Credit where credit is due. It wasn't a perfect game but I thought GRO called a much better game this week. They spread Washington out a bit more than they have been doing with teams and I thought it was effective. Say what you want about the guy but he definitely called a better game. I loved the designed Kaepernick run with the two pulling guards. Good stuff.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Credit where credit is due. It wasn't a perfect game but I thought GRO called a much better game this week. They spread Washington out a bit more than they have been doing with teams and I thought it was effective. Say what you want about the guy but he definitely called a better game. I loved the designed Kaepernick run with the two pulling guards. Good stuff.

Interesting how that works, when the QB just plays loosely and lets the ball go.

Keep it up, Kaep... trust in the routes and targets down the field, and hit those checkdowns when need be.
Share 49ersWebzone