LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
greg roman needs to be fired today

its as simple as that
  • zero
  • Veteran
The entire league has his offense figured out and he still won't change it.
  • Veteran
he is garbage.
Roman is very good, harbaugh has FULL confidence in him.
Originally posted by zero:

This. By far this is the most frustrating thing, he isn't even really running a WCO anymore, all that talk about Harbaugh going through the archives and looking at all of Bill Walsh's old tapes....etc, absolute b******t. The 49ers are running a gimmick-laden poverty Mike Martz offense right now.
Serious question here.

I usually never question coordinators and I think it's ridiculous when people do b/c hindsight is always 20/20 and coaches know probably 500% more about football than the average poster here.

However, can someone explain to me why we deviated away from the run-heavy game plan after the drive we scored? We were pulling guards and running the ball outside of the hashmarks, and it was working. We were rattling off chunks of yards every time we ran the ball that drive. It made sense: our OL against one of the worst run defenses in the NFL.

But that was literally the one drive we tried that the entire game. We ran it up the middle here and there, but we were passing WAY too often, ESPECIALLY when it was a 1 possession game for the first three quarters of the game! That's what confuses me. We found a rhythm on the ground attack for the first time all season, yet we abandoned it as soon as we found it.

Did I miss something? I think this was literally the worst offensive performace of the Harbaugh era, considering it was at home and against a below-average defense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by zero:

This. By far this is the most frustrating thing, he isn't even really running a WCO anymore, all that talk about Harbaugh going through the archives and looking at all of Bill Walsh's old tapes....etc, absolute b******t. The 49ers are running a gimmick-laden poverty Mike Martz offense right now.

Phoenix... you're finally starting to convert me.

Frank was KILLING it all game... but no, let's throw deep to GARRET CELEK and MARLON MOORE.

Jesus.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Serious question here.

I usually never question coordinators and I think it's ridiculous when people do b/c hindsight is always 20/20 and coaches know probably 500% more about football than the average poster here.

However, can someone explain to me why we deviated away from the run-heavy game plan after the drive we scored? We were pulling guards and running the ball outside of the hashmarks, and it was working. We were rattling off chunks of yards every time we ran the ball that drive. It made sense: our OL against one of the worst run defenses in the NFL.

But that was literally the one drive we tried that the entire game. We ran it up the middle here and there, but we were passing WAY too often, ESPECIALLY when it was a 1 possession game for the first three quarters of the game! That's what confuses me. We found a rhythm on the ground attack for the first time all season, yet we abandoned it as soon as we found it.

Did I miss something? I think this was literally the worst offensive performace of the Harbaugh era, considering it was at home and against a below-average defense.

THIS! RUN THE BALL ROMAN!

My god... completely obvious from the jump.
Good call Phoenix.

Roman's play calling was inept.

Add to that our receivers can't seem to get any separation.

We better get it fixed soon - 2 games behind Seattle.

I haven't followed the Rams at all but as I recall last year's D was pretty good.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Phoenix... you're finally starting to convert me.

Frank was KILLING it all game... but no, let's throw deep to GARRET CELEK and MARLON MOORE.

Jesus.

He keeps running these f**king deep routes with Bruce Miller that are getting on my nerves.............."oh watch, nobody will defend the fullback downfield"............there's good reason for that, holy s**t.

We Have NO weapons its sad
Yeah, I miss Roman of 2011 especially and some what 2012. The guy is a genius at times and other times you'd swear Raye and Singletary are up in the booth. At least we stopped doing fake handoffs on every play but I did see Miller splitting out again. At least not as much. What happened to our creative runs from 2011.. not a lot of slants either and never calls a screen. Seems to be so predictable lately. How many times are we going to run Gore up the middle on 1st down for a yard?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah, I miss Roman of 2011 especially and some what 2012. The guy is a genius at times and other times you'd swear Raye and Singletary are up in the booth. At least we stopped doing fake handoffs on every play but I did see Miller splitting out again. At least not as much. What happened to our creative runs from 2011.. not a lot of slants either and never calls a screen. Seems to be so predictable lately. How many times are we going to run Gore up the middle on 1st down for a yard?

its cause we don't have a QB with a "limited" skill set anymore.....I agree with a lot of what others have said today, Roman and by extension Harbaugh has fallen in love with Kaepernick's arm so we've abandoned short quick throws and that we've also moved more towards a full blown read-option offense and not just the pistol formation.

We've gotta change it and go back to the 2011/2012 calls.
Jim needs to pull a John and fire his OC. Take the rest of the year being trained by a real WCO OC.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Jim needs to pull a John and fire his OC. Take the rest of the year being trained by a real WCO OC.

Boom!
Share 49ersWebzone