There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
wut? didn't we have TWO open receivers to the left of Crabtree on that final pass????

didn't we have 3 plays from 5 yards out and he couldn't call 1 run to gore when gore and james were the reason we got down the field in the first place?

1 pass against a blitz and a p.i. that went uncalled is the focus

the play that everyone assumed would have worked which is the read option play didn't get attempted because of what again? cause he didn't get the play called in on time meaning he was panicking in the booth and we had to burn another timeout which was consistent with alex as the qb and last season and last drive of last season and continuing up to the last game we played

right?

First down was a read-option and Kaep handed it to Gore for a short gain.
Second down was a rollout pass with 3 options... Kaep didn't like anything he saw and held it a while.. then threw a sideline pass incomplete to Crabtree at the 1 yard line.
Third down was a quick toss to Crabtree in the flat, even though Moss and VD were getting open in the EZ had Kaep looked their way...
4th down was that toss up into a double covered Crabtree, even though VD was open on the same side after running a curl in the EZ, and the receiver up top was running an in route.

My posting this is not an indictment of Kaep... but to point out that the play designs called were not the problem. Execution failed us. Locking onto Crabtree may have failed us a bit too... but again... the point was the bolded. Hindsight's a beyotch.
oh, good grief, is roman STILL here? Please tell me no. All I want is to look up this thread one morning to see that it is locked...roman is GONE.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
NCommand

Posts: 11,279 I know this is probably just coach-speak (on CK) but, is this just more proof CK is just doing what is being asked of him (AR passing game) and the second comment, is this more proof that under 2 different QB's, we have essentially, the same exact offense (results)? "He's doing a heck of a job," Harbaugh said. "I would be puzzled why people would think that. What's more important is what we see."However, they are last in passing at an average of 168 yards per game. The Raiders are second-to-last at 186.4. Last season, the 49ers ranked 23rd at 206.1.

Has JH EVER thrown anyone under the bus?

No he hasn't - and I respect that. Remember when Nolan did that to Alex.

Oh God I hope not! I love CK...the point of my post was more to do with the consistency of lack-of-production under two different QB's re: the passing game. And more proof potentially, of what we coin an AR passing attack and that CK is doing nothing more than what his coaches are asking of him.
Totally agree w/you NC.
Check this out...I haven't even analyzed the game yet but if true, this is unbelievable. I heard it on our podcast as well:

Every week opposing defensive coordinators gear up to stop the 49ers' running game. However, last Sunday in New Orleans, Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan did something I had never seen before. The Brash Ryan disregarded the passing game so much, he played a three-man secondary. .

When the 49ers went to their standard twin tight-end, two running-back set, Ryan typically responded with four linemen, four linebackers and only three defensive backs. Ryan even unveiled that defense when the 49ers faced a third-and-2 from the 49ers' 48 with 11:14 left in the second quarter.

The 49ers responded with two running backs, a tight end and two receivers. One of the running backs was LaMichael James. It means the 49ers could have put James in the slot and run four receivers (James, tight end Vernon Davis, wide receivers Anquan Boldin and Mario Manningham) on the "all go."

With four receivers streaking down the field and only three defensive backs, someone has to be open for a possible touchdown.

Instead the 49ers decided to run up the middle with James. With nine Saints on the line of scrimmage, James was smothered by defensive linemen Akiem Nicks and Broderick Bunkley for no gain.

Playing often against a three-man secondary and sometimes a five-man defensive line, 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick only completed one pass over 14 yards. Also, in 31 attempts, Kaepernick threw over 10 yards 10 times, completing three of those passes for 42 yards and two scores according to profootballfocus.com.

So what does this say about the state of the 49ers' offense and their passing attack?

First, the team did very little personnel group variation in the New Orleans loss. One reason might have been that Manningham's snaps could have been limited because of his surgically-repaired knee. The 49ers might have been forced to be conservative because of player availability.

Secondly, the team greatly misses Delanie Walker. Even though he dropped a lot of passes, secondaries had to respect his speed and ability when he and Davis were in the game. Defenses don't do that with rookie Vance McDonald.

The solution is obvious – throw it deep! Even if Kaepernick doesn't complete passes, he has to start winging it 15 yards or more down field.

Washington might be the perfect team to do that against. They are 26th in pass defense and when the 49ers play against them Monday night in Maryland, it might be time for some deep passing.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/11/21/saints-49ers-review-a-surprising-finding/
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Check this out...I haven't even analyzed the game yet but if true, this is unbelievable. I heard it on our podcast as well:

Every week opposing defensive coordinators gear up to stop the 49ers' running game. However, last Sunday in New Orleans, Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan did something I had never seen before. The Brash Ryan disregarded the passing game so much, he played a three-man secondary. .

When the 49ers went to their standard twin tight-end, two running-back set, Ryan typically responded with four linemen, four linebackers and only three defensive backs. Ryan even unveiled that defense when the 49ers faced a third-and-2 from the 49ers' 48 with 11:14 left in the second quarter.

The 49ers responded with two running backs, a tight end and two receivers. One of the running backs was LaMichael James. It means the 49ers could have put James in the slot and run four receivers (James, tight end Vernon Davis, wide receivers Anquan Boldin and Mario Manningham) on the "all go."

With four receivers streaking down the field and only three defensive backs, someone has to be open for a possible touchdown.

Instead the 49ers decided to run up the middle with James. With nine Saints on the line of scrimmage, James was smothered by defensive linemen Akiem Nicks and Broderick Bunkley for no gain.

Playing often against a three-man secondary and sometimes a five-man defensive line, 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick only completed one pass over 14 yards. Also, in 31 attempts, Kaepernick threw over 10 yards 10 times, completing three of those passes for 42 yards and two scores according to profootballfocus.com.

So what does this say about the state of the 49ers' offense and their passing attack?

First, the team did very little personnel group variation in the New Orleans loss. One reason might have been that Manningham's snaps could have been limited because of his surgically-repaired knee. The 49ers might have been forced to be conservative because of player availability.

Secondly, the team greatly misses Delanie Walker. Even though he dropped a lot of passes, secondaries had to respect his speed and ability when he and Davis were in the game. Defenses don't do that with rookie Vance McDonald.

The solution is obvious – throw it deep! Even if Kaepernick doesn't complete passes, he has to start winging it 15 yards or more down field.

Washington might be the perfect team to do that against. They are 26th in pass defense and when the 49ers play against them Monday night in Maryland, it might be time for some deep passing.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/11/21/saints-49ers-review-a-surprising-finding/

and they did this the entire game.
now you tell me who is a damn idiot on the team.
you have a 3 man secondary 3 capable wr running backs and you refuse to throw out of it and get easy points

and we're the ones that are delusional and making excuses?

its a travesty

its a shame he has a job how can they look at the tape and be ok with all of this?
The only way to explain all this....is to buy into the theory that they're purposely hiding "Kaep the passer" until the playoffs! And then BOOM, we get the Green Bay game all over again.
Jim frustrates the hell out of me

After the game, QB Colin Kaepernick was asked about some of the delay of games, timeouts, things that keep creeping up. He mentioned the offense has a lot on its plate. Is there any thought to however you can streamline that play calling process or simplify it? Have you given any thought to that?

"Yeah. I've given thought to it every week, every game. Give great amount of thought to it, to the game plan."

Have you, obviously, tweaked it this season?

"Yeah. There's different game plans for different games. And, yeah, there hasn't been the same game plan each week."

As the guy who's relaying calls in to Colin, have you noticed the plays getting in a little later recently, or has there been any trend into this?

"No. Not to have a stopwatch on it. I think we'll give a lot of thought to it and we'll do a good job, do a better job."

what is he even talking about?
Originally posted by verb1der:
The only way to explain all this....is to buy into the theory that they're purposely hiding "Kaep the passer" until the playoffs! And then BOOM, we get the Green Bay game all over again.

they'll be hiding him until next year if they continue to throw games

and greg roman will be hiding in a dunkin donuts filling out resumes for college jobs

and greg roman will be hiding in a dunkin donuts filling out resumes for college jobs

Just watch, come playoff time, the passing game will explode like Kaep's debut on MNF vs Bears. No one seen that coming at the time (except for me and few others), but you know what I mean.
Aye carumba! I guess CK isn't the only 49er that only sees half of the field. At this point I can't figure out if it is Roman's arrogance or ignorance that makes him oblivious to what the defenses are doing.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Aye carumba! I guess CK isn't the only 49er that only sees half of the field. At this point I can't figure out if it is Roman's arrogance or ignorance that makes him oblivious to what the defenses are doing.

ck can see the full field.

roman is taking half of it away. i contend that ck is following the orders literally that they are telling him. so if someone comes open doesn't matter. he's following instructions to the letter.

like i said i believe its "this plays goes here"
instead of "this play you can do this this this or this and then this"

they've always been conservative that was the problem when alex was qb
and they've reverted right back to going conservative again but this time its idiotic conservative football. at least the 1st time they went conservative we would run the ball and get field goals.

if they at least did that we'd be 9-1 right now

lol
Just watch, come playoff time, the passing game will explode like Kaep's debut on MNF vs Bears. No one seen that coming at the time (except for me and few others), but you know what I mean.

you must mean roman will be smacked around and made to understand
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

It's beyond belief. Defense is playing 3 in coverage.........offense utilizes 2 receivers and leaves everyone else to block.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

you do realize were fighting with the cardinals, bears, lions, cowboys, and theoretically the packers and Giants for the 6th seed right? Maintaining our slight grip on the 6th and final spot will not be easy.

I understand you're being positive but much like last year it is naive for any fan to seriously think that they are intentionally being this conservative. Being 32nd in passing offense and narrowly losing or winning games does not bode well for post season play.