LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Nothing is going to be done mid season as far as coaching changes go. Pointless to even discuss it as it will NEVER happen. If something is going to be done this season it has to come from Harbaugh. He has to step in and try something different with the offenses approach. We can't keep running Frank into a brick wall. They HAVE to find a way to back defenses off some. Having to face 8 or 9 guys in the box consistently regardless of down and distance is so frustrating to watch. I can't imagine how frustrating it has been for the players. Game planning changes and the offensive game plans have to change against better competition.
My biggest issue with this loss is with the apparent and increasingly obvious incompetence of SF's OC Greg Roman and the regression of QB Colin Kaepernick. Don't tell me about the lack of weapons. Teams with much lesser personnel win every Sunday. The 49ers offense is just not getting it done. And if I have to watch hip hop Kap with his sideways hip hop cap saying after the game that "we just didn't execute" one more time, I'm going to start writing letters to York and Baalke. Oh what could've been...
Dear Greg Roman, YOU SUCK! If Harbaugh won't fire you then please do the honorable thing and JUST LEAVE!!! Do you need a bus pass? I got five on it.
Are you sure Jim and John are brothers? One has the balls to fire his OC midseason. But we all asking for something unrealistic. Any change like that wouldn't happen til the off season. Our offense will be the death of this team's playoff chances.
He is really good at eating
  • thl408
To help Kap out with the passing attack, I think the 49ers need to use more 3WR sets, plus VD continuing to play the hybrid role. Take Vance and Miller off the field. I get that the 49ers philosophy is to pass out of running personnel (2TEs) and run formations (2TEs on the line, next to the tackles), but that does the passing attack zero favors. When passing out of running formations, it puts the wideouts on 1 on 1 situations with the DB across from them. This makes gaining separation from route running a premium. Crabs and Ham are the only players capable of this. Boldin is 'always open', but sometimes that isn't enough for Kap to pull the trigger.

When using 3WR/spread formations, the offense can use combination routes where two/three WRs can work in tandem to free each other up. Think smash/snag/mesh concepts. When doing this with Miller and Vance as route runners, it just isn't the same as those guys aren't able to get separation a way a WR can/should, rendering them next to useless as options. Harbaugh puts a premium on being able to run or pass out of the 2TE personnel package, but it doesn't do him many favors when trying to pass out of this set. It's okay if you have WRs that can gain separation 1 on 1, but that isn't the case right now.

If the 49ers want to take it to the next level with the passing game, they need a paradigm shift. From an offense that uses heavy run personnel to one that uses more 3WR sets. Do they have the personnel to do this effectively is a question, but trying to continually pass out of formations and personnel that do not deploy good route runners (Miller/Vance) makes it tough on any passing attack.
I still think Roman is a great coach/mind, but the 49ers might have to fire him to get the changes needed to thrive offensively, since Roman is so unwilling to do it. Simplify the offense so that plays get called with plenty of time to make checks at the line. This is Cam Cameronesque.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
I still think Roman is a great coach/mind, but the 49ers might have to fire him to get the changes needed to thrive offensively, since Roman is so unwilling to do it. Simplify the offense so that plays get called with plenty of time to make checks at the line. This is Cam Cameronesque.
you think roman is a great coach with a great mind, well that makes one of you
Originally posted by dhp318:

the thing that makes roman an idiot is the thing that he's good at... which is designing power running plays that work.. he doesn't do it when he clearly can

gore's longest run play was on a wham block that hasn't failed the team ever.

and he only did it once

instead of multiple different ways

lol

that is roman
Wow, dhp, just wow.

Phoenix, if you really believe kap consistently throws the ball well downfield, then I have to wonder if we were watching the same game...you know, the ones with the gold helmets and 49ers on the side.? Kap throws downfield with wild abandon...occasionally one prayer gets answered. But please don't tell me he throws a consistent 20 yd pass well....because he doesn't . He sure throws a lot of downfield passes tho....just not completions. Also blame that on roman and crappy routes by receivers...as well as Kap's newfound "hold onto the ball and don't throw it" routine, which just makes me sick. Tell you what else...kap is pizzing off boldin by his inability to find #81. If boldin comes back here next yr, I will be amazed. Kap has just missed him time after time, many times open and in the endzone.

Is Roman still with us? Just checking in...
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Wow, dhp, just wow.

Phoenix, if you really believe kap consistently throws the ball well downfield, then I have to wonder if we were watching the same game...you know, the ones with the gold helmets and 49ers on the side.? Kap throws downfield with wild abandon...occasionally one prayer gets answered. But please don't tell me he throws a consistent 20 yd pass well....because he doesn't . He sure throws a lot of downfield passes tho....just not completions. Also blame that on roman and crappy routes by receivers...as well as Kap's newfound "hold onto the ball and don't throw it" routine, which just makes me sick. Tell you what else...kap is pizzing off boldin by his inability to find #81. If boldin comes back here next yr, I will be amazed. Kap has just missed him time after time, many times open and in the endzone.

Rare that I see a post with soo much fail.
I honestly don't see how he's not fired by the end of the year. If we don't make the playoffs, this f**ker better be gone!!!!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
This f**ker fired yet??? Just got home from work and was praying this POS was gone.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
This f**ker fired yet??? Just got home from work and was praying this POS was gone.

he should have been fired after the ten pm news on the night of the super bowl but thats a whole other story
Share 49ersWebzone