LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Roman reminds me of Mike Martz in that they both have a one track mind and refuse to adapt.

he needs to change his style or get demoted.

numerous times tonight the said had 10 guys in the box, and we stuck with the run. almost all of our drivers were, run on 1st down, pass on 2nd down. even joe buck picked up on that. the saints realized it as well since the mostly played zone defense on 2nd down. i thought we were going to have a good half time adjustment, but not with this guy. f**king mike dinglberry 2.0
look at the elite passing offenses

it is not complex any of them.

they have multiple wr routes and then get rid of the ball quickly and take deep shots every so often.

today brees, 30 completions for 305 yards.. know what that means? dink and dunk with a few chunk plays..

peyton gets rid of the ball before you can even get to him...

all the broncos do is run a go route, 2 crossing routes every damn down and whoever is open first gets the ball.

it's not hard to grasp for anyone not named greg roman
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
he needs to change his style or get demoted.

numerous times tonight the said had 10 guys in the box, and we stuck with the run. almost all of our drivers were, run on 1st down, pass on 2nd down. even joe buck picked up on that. the saints realized it as well since the mostly played zone defense on 2nd down. i thought we were going to have a good half time adjustment, but not with this guy. f**king mike dinglberry 2.0

no double moves nothing no screens NOTHING no adjustments the only adjustments he ever makes is going away from the run

that's it

the one adjustment he SHOULDN'T make

is the one he makes every loss

can't make this crap up
I have a suspicion Jim Harbaugh will agree with what I'm about to write. I suspect Harbaugh believes Greg Roman is not good enough to be the 49ers' offensive coordinator.

I sure don't think he's good enough.

Harbaugh has stressed again and again, "This is Greg Roman's offense."

When I first heard that simple declarative statement, I thought, "Gee, Harbaugh is praising the underling. That's nice of Harbaugh to give someone else credit."

I've begun to embrace an alternate interpretation. Harbaugh is not praising Roman. He's assigning blame, assigning blame for four games in particular, games in which the 49ers scored, 13, 3, 13 and 13 points. Those are unacceptable totals in one-third of the games played to date.

"This is Greg Roman's offense."

Such as it is.

You can call this column "Greg Roman"s Football Sins."

"I certainly think if we had to do it all over again we'd call some different plays," Smith said. "We were getting pressure the entire time and we didn't call pressure beaters."

Smith said the offensive line and running backs are still frustrated they weren't given the chance to win the game. And he's still perplexed by the play-calling.

"On the last play I was on the sideline screaming for a timeout because we had called a play that had no pressure answer," Smith said. "Colin (Kaepernick) did the best he could with the signal and the throw. I'm sure if the coaches had it to do over again they'd call something with a better pressure answer."

These issues with the offensive playcalling have been evident since 2011, I used to bring it up and people would laugh because the 49ers were winning games, now that they are struggling to win, the problems become more and more evident.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM ]
Adrian, Brees had the ball gone within 2-3 seconds, virtually the entire game. Midway thru the 3rd qtr, he had completed passes to 11 (ELEVEN) different receivers. Kap has trouble going thru a progression and his peripheral vision must be half of most folks. When he looks long, he can't see short...and vice versa. Once again after a tiny handful of 1-3 steppers, most successful, roman reverted to the 20+ yd passes, which frankly, kap cannot throw with anywhere close to NFL accuracy. Kap is basically wildly inaccurate, can't throw to where a receiver is , instead throwing to where he was. One exception was the string of 6 passes in mid game with several being over the opposite shoulder. Aside from those, roman just reverted to his one receiver , go long passes, most of which ended up with kap getting sacked, hit, or run out of bounds. Sad, just really really sad. Still and all, we were actually in a game with an elite team and somehow we came close...way closer than last 3 loses. I can take that, altho roman was pukey. Roman has now called the O against the last 4 elites for losses. At least we finally were in one loss. Altho in the end, JH once again got outcoached near end of game..
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I pray Roman is watching this Denver KC game. These are NFL plays being called.

Why? Do you think he is worth keeping as long as he can learn by watching football? Interesting. I hope Harbaugh is watching.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Adrian, Brees had the ball gone within 2-3 seconds, virtually the entire game. Midway thru the 3rd qtr, he had completed passes to 11 (ELEVEN) different receivers. Kap has trouble going thru a progression and his peripheral vision must be half of most folks. When he looks long, he can't see short...and vice versa. Once again after a tiny handful of 1-3 steppers, most successful, roman reverted to the 20+ yd passes, which frankly, kap cannot throw with anywhere close to NFL accuracy. Kap is basically wildly inaccurate, can't throw to where a receiver is , instead throwing to where he was. One exception was the string of 6 passes in mid game with several being over the opposite shoulder. Aside from those, roman just reverted to his one receiver , go long passes, most of which ended up with kap getting sacked, hit, or run out of bounds. Sad, just really really sad. Still and all, we were actually in a game with an elite team and somehow we came close...way closer than last 3 loses. I can take that, altho roman was pukey. Roman has now called the O against the last 4 elites for losses. At least we finally were in one loss. Altho in the end, JH once again got outcoached near end of game..

Of course this is nonsense. His accuracy with deep passes has been pretty good, ranked among the highest last season in the NFL. He's proven he can make those passes when the receivers are there to catch them, if they actually catch those passes. The biggest problem is that the Saints were getting a ton of pressure on Kaepernick, when he went to scramble, as he looked downfield, nobody got open. On 3 separate occasions, he was literally faced with multiple receivers, backs turned towards him, blocking downfield. Where the hell is he supposed to throw the ball?

The more conservative the coaching staff gets, the worse the results become, Carolina was doing the same thing earlier this season and they were losing games, when Rivera finally said "f**k it" and unleashed Cam Newton, that is when they started to win games. The coaching staff is trying so hard to "protect" Kaepernick that they are basically screwing him over by not letting him the dynamic player he can be.

Teams can blitz without consequence because the 49ers won't utilize screens in their passing game and when Kaepernick has to scramble, basically nobody is open. I wouldn't have any expectations for a QB in this system right now. Kaepernick could stand to play better and be more aggressive, play more confidently, but realistically, seeing the Mickey Mouse offense they've been running, what reason is there for confidence?

At this point, the coaching staff should let Kaepernick go, take the restraints off and for better or worse, let him play his game.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

that's the problem he doesn't give him a chance.

on a few sacks he's getting touched after his drop and you see down the field and there's "nothing" to quote aikman.
he can go through reads he has to have time and he has to have multiple options.

they finally sent gore out of the backfield today and he hit him more than a few times didn't he?

brees has the ball gone, depending on the route he knows who should be open.

if colin is waiting for 1 of 2 options then yes it looks like he can't see half the field, is it out of the realm of possibility that roman is telling him who the plays should go to?

i think they're taking options out of his hands for their own arrogant reasons.

"i designed this to do this and this is what we're doing"

instead of

"here, here, here, or here"

last season they didn't have time to install their own special plays so we kept with the same things alex was doing and then added a pistol option. but the offense was the same as when alex had it with multiple options and kap made multiple reads didn't he? yes he did.

and for some reason an offense that was good enough to carry the team they changed it totally... out of arrogance.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Of course this is nonsense. His accuracy with deep passes has been pretty good, ranked among the highest last season in the NFL. He's proven he can make those passes when the receivers are there to catch them, if they actually catch those passes. The biggest problem is that the Saints were getting a ton of pressure on Kaepernick, when he went to scramble, as he looked downfield, nobody got open. On 3 separate occasions, he was literally faced with multiple receivers, backs turned towards him, blocking downfield. Where the hell is he supposed to throw the ball?

The more conservative the coaching staff gets, the worse the results become, Carolina was doing the same thing earlier this season and they were losing games, when Rivera finally said "f**k it" and unleashed Cam Newton, that is when they started to win games. The coaching staff is trying so hard to "protect" Kaepernick that they are basically screwing him over by not letting him the dynamic player he can be.

Teams can blitz without consequence because the 49ers won't utilize screens in their passing game and when Kaepernick has to scramble, basically nobody is open. I wouldn't have any expectations for a QB in this system right now. Kaepernick could stand to play better and be more aggressive, play more confidently, but realistically, seeing the Mickey Mouse offense they've been running, what reason is there for confidence?

At this point, the coaching staff should let Kaepernick go, take the restraints off and for better or worse, let him play his game.

the only way you can win is if you unleash

and game by game as they don't do it
they subject the qb to all of the speculation and scrutiny he is under

the first game he ever started he literally made several reads quickly and went through progressions down to the 3rd and 4th option

the 1st game...

and throughout he did the same thing

SUDDENLY he can't do it?

f**k you roman and your s**tty play calling.

i hope our new OC runs a screen on his first play call and goes 80 yards for a TD
Fucc Roman, you suck, stupid ass OC, blah....blah...blah. Yes I get it, we all get it. But let me tell you this, obviously Harbaugh loves Roman and he won't fire him. So, as sh*tty as Roman's play calling this year, he will NOT attract any HC job anywhere. So unfortunately for us, he will be stuck with us for another season. I just hope Baalke pressures Harbaugh into firing this douche, but I doubt it. We just gotta hope for the best, and expect the worst.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
this is still a question? good god.but JH will stand by his man. he is just as much to blame because he lets it go. i am past being mad at roman and i just accept the fact he is here, nothing will change and JH must be ok with the fourth quarter of offense that roman put together yesterday
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
f**k you roman and your s**tty play calling.

i hope our new OC runs a screen on his first play call and goes 80 yards for a TD

Has he been fired yet? Seriously...someone PM when he has been fired and we bring in a real NFL OC, please.
Roman has proven he's worthless.

What I see happening is a very bad effect on Kap. He's unintentionally being set up to fail and it's impacting his confidence. I hope they don't ruin him.

I also hope JH isn't so stubborn that he won't step in and make a change. The season isn't lost YET but the clock is ticking.

At this point we are not a championship caliber team.
Share 49ersWebzone