There are 198 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Ted Ginn Jr. would've been better than all those scrub wrs we have behind Boldin right now AND he was a legit PR/KR.

Roman is a joke of an offensive evaluator.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
And when they do try a screen or a playaction, it always seems to end up going to Bruce Miller, seriously WTF?

that alone should get him fired.

designing pass plays to the fb and not other wr's or speed backs

that alone.
Originally posted by AMBITION:
Ted Ginn Jr. would've been better than all those scrub wrs we have behind Boldin right now AND he was a legit PR/KR.

Roman is a joke of an offensive evaluator.

no he wouldn't he was here and couldn't find a way to get him passes remember so we can't say he would be better he had his opportunities and STILL couldn't get him the ball.

except if you're backed up on your own goal line in a tightly contested game where the other team has no shot at scoring a td except via defense and you need someone to call a pitch play with a blitz coming

then suddenly ginn becomes available
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
that alone should get him fired.

designing pass plays to the fb and not other wr's or speed backs

that alone.

If Roman still continues in his role as OC after this season is over, it becomes clear to me that Harbaugh doesn't get it and I really won't have much hope for the future of this team with the same lousy passing offense.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Another issue is the sheer amount of time it takes to get a play off. These time outs the Niners take in the first quarter because the play call has not been there has been a problem for what seems like an eternity. Damn near every other team in the NFL can get a play call in with plenty of time to make adjustments. The Niners cannot. This also destroys the Niners in the two minute drill. I also think this is limiting what Kaep can do with the offense. He's far to concerned with getting all the adjustments just right in a limited amount of time because the play call gets in with just about 9 seconds left to get the play off.

That is on Roman and Harbaugh. And quite frankly I think it is on Roman more than Harbaugh.

Again, Roman will be gone at the end of the season if not before then. This offense has had problems since he's been here and it hasn't gotten better. QBs have changed, but the overall issues with it have remained.

exactly

he doesn't even have a plan.

call the play get it in let him make the adjustments

the same problems we've had the entire time here

if jim has balls he'll fire him before they even get back to new orleans

that's 4 games

This, this is flat out embarassing. Harbaugh needs to start calling the plays or promote somebody.

100% agree... How does an offense like this expect to win on the road? Like seriously, how is this acceptable at an NFL level? Do they really think road games will be like stanford vs cal state fullerton or some sh*t? Our offense cant handle crowd noise... almost all our timeouts are taken just to save a penalty... think of how it effects our defense, lets say they have a bad D call they would probably just go with it rather than waste a timeout cause they know the offense needs them... if there are even any left!

If the offense can't handle crowd noise that is a schematic/play calling issue. Like you mentioned, crowd noise impacting the offense to the degree it affects the Niners is not acceptable at an NFL level. Do you see Kaep in the huddle trying to get the play call in? He's shouting his grandmother out of the grave! Seems to me the play call itself is vastly more complicated than it needs to be. How is it other teams can run the no huddle virtually seamlessly on the road but the Niners can't get a play call in after a time out? In my simple head that reflects on the coordinator being unable to install an offense the team can comprehend.

Chip Kelly has a fairly complicated offense that runs at a ridiculous clip, yet their play calls are in on time and efficient. The team seems to have no issue understanding what they need to do. This is not so with the Niners and it falls squarely on the coordinator/head coach. Whatever system the Niners have developed, it is not working and needs to be changed. This is a logistical issue that should never be a problem in the NFL.
If the offense can't handle crowd noise that is a schematic/play calling issue. Like you mentioned, crowd noise impacting the offense to the degree it affects the Niners is not acceptable at an NFL level. Do you see Kaep in the huddle trying to get the play call in? He's shouting his grandmother out of the grave! Seems to me the play call itself is vastly more complicated than it needs to be. How is it other teams can run the no huddle virtually seamlessly on the road but the Niners can't get a play call in after a time out? In my simple head that reflects on the coordinator being unable to install an offense the team can comprehend.

Chip Kelly has a fairly complicated offense that runs at a ridiculous clip, yet their play calls are in on time and efficient. The team seems to have no issue understanding what they need to do. This is not so with the Niners and it falls squarely on the coordinator/head coach. Whatever system the Niners have developed, it is not working and needs to be changed. This is a logistical issue that should never be a problem in the NFL.

The non-stop difficulty of getting the plays in on time, for almost 3 seasons now is beyond f**king insane, what other teams can you think of that have this issue for seasons on end? Its one thing to have a complicated but productive offense, another thing to have a complicated offenses that looks like s**t.
If Roman still continues in his role as OC after this season is over, it becomes clear to me that Harbaugh doesn't get it and I really won't have much hope for the future of this team with the same lousy passing offense.

its as clear as day

he already cost us a chance at a super bowl

that should have been IT
now he's cost us 4 games

4 excellent defensive performances

4 of them

drew brees had 30 completions to get 300 yards

but this guy

if jim keeps him he's going to get fired with him and then what?

don't let this fat piece of crap ruin your legacy like he has ALREADY in a sense.

The non-stop difficulty of getting the plays in on time, for almost 3 seasons now is beyond f**king insane, what other teams can you think of that have this issue for seasons on end? Its one thing to have a complicated but productive offense, another thing to have a complicated offenses that looks like s**t.

because for them shifting = complicated

shift and shift and then run predictable routes.

they always got by on that. running simple things different ways

but they don't even do that

gore still taken for granted no setup on play action no go routes to just say forget it or nothing
Difficult to see how Harbaugh can defend Roman at this point.
we don't even need to discuss it anymore

just fire him.

I'm fairly young (28), but in all my years of watching the NFL I don't think I've seen a team struggle to this degree with getting just a play call in on time. From what I've watched, when offenses take a time out early in games it is usually a crucial situation where the offense needs a first down and the QB realizes the defensive formation somewhat "counters" whatever the play call is. The QB also figures that simple adjustments won't alleviate the issue. This is not the issue with the Niners' timeouts.

The Niners just can't get a play call in.

I'm watching the Chiefs/Broncos right now and both QBs are up at the line with at least 20 seconds left on the play clock (yes I understand Peyton is running a semi no huddle quick attack). Why do the Niners, even at home, break the huddle with almost 10 seconds left fairly routinely? That puts enormous pressure on Kaep and the offense to read the defense and make the appropriate adjustments quickly. This does not include all the wacky formation shifting Roman is fond of that I doubt is part of any read of the defense.
[ Edited by JoeBart324 on Nov 17, 2013 at 6:19 PM ]
I'm fairly young (28), but in all my years of watching the NFL I don't think I've seen a team struggle to this degree with getting just a play call in on time. From what I've watched, when offenses take a time out early in games it is usually a crucial situation where the offense needs a first down and the QB realizes the defensive formation somewhat "counters" whatever the play call is. The QB also figures that simple adjustments won't alleviate the issue. This is not the issue with the Niners' timeouts.

I'm watching the Chiefs/Broncos right now and both QBs are up at the line with at least 20 seconds left on the play clock (yes I understand Peyton is running a semi no huddle quick attack). Why do the Niners, even at home, break the huddle with almost 10 seconds left fairly routinely? That puts enormous pressure on Kaep and the offense to read the defense and make the appropriate adjustments quickly. This does not include all the wacky formation shifting Roman is fond of that I doubt is part of any read of the defense.

The offense KC is running under Reid, is something that the 49ers could use very effectively, a true WCO that uses all areas of the field, this s**t that Roman/Harbaugh have going look like some archaic leftovers from Bears offenses of the 1980's. Its like they make it complicated just to make it complicated not because the offense is anymore effective as a result.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran

The most basic problem I have with our inability to get the play in on time is that it allows the pass rush to just get on the gas at 1 second left on the play clock. We either call the TO, get a delay or maybe 1 out of 10 times or less get lucky and get an offsides call.

It is pretty damn hard to have a route develop, much less give ANY QB the necessary time to go through his reads when the defense doesn't have to guess when the ball is being snapped thereby delaying their reaction time by even the slightest of margins. Football after is a game of inches and seconds -- we do not give our offense the best chance to perform because we routinely run the play clock down to zero. The D just pins their ears back and guns it for the QB and that is why Alex TOOK so many sacks in years past and why Kaepernick looks like a deer caught in headlights this year.
[ Edited by sfout on Nov 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM ]
Fucc Romangina!!
Originally posted by sfout:
The most basic problem I have with our inability to get the play in on time is that it allows the pass rush to just get on the gas at 1 second left on the play clock. We either call the TO, get a delay or maybe 1 out of 10 times or less get lucky and get an offsides call.

It is pretty damn hard to have a route develop, much less give ANY QB the necessary time to go through his reads when the defense doesn't have to guess when the ball is being snapped thereby delaying their reaction time by even the slightest of margins. Football after is a game of inches and seconds -- we do not give our offense the best chance to perform because we routinely run the play clock down to zero. The D just pins their ears back and guns it for the QB and that is why Alex TOOK so many sacks in years past and why Kaepernick looks like a deer caught in headlights this year.

This x 1000, pass rushes come at the 49ers full bore because they can see the play clock running down pretty much each and every time.
Share 49ersWebzone