There are 347 users in the forums

Greg Roman, is he really good?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think Roman is one of the best OC's in the league and a genius (especially in formations and the run game) but he is hit and miss. Some games he is just on and others it looks like Singletary and Raye are up in the booth. I think he got too pass happy and/or read option happy at times with Kaepernick. There were many times where we should have just been pounding it down their throats. I have complained at times too but honestly there a lot of bad and mediocre OC's in this league and a lot of the team's would love to have Roman as their OC. I think we need to work on our passing creativity more. The way we use our personnel, our formations, what we do with the spread, pistol and especially the run is genius. Look at how many runs and formations we use compared to the Raye days. It's widely known... you will see a lot of other teams fans talk about how creative we are in the run game. Just have to get more creative in the pass but I heard that Morton might run that and he's probably well below Roman's level.
This thread is pathetic.
if he was a good oc why in the hell did he not run the ball we were 5 yards away from our 6th rings , any good oc what take advantage of that situation ,knowing the there best d lineman was out of the game
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
if he was a good oc why in the hell did he not run the ball we were 5 yards away from our 6th rings , any good oc what take advantage of that situation ,knowing the there best d lineman was out of the game

if he was a bad oc we wouldnt have been in that spot to begin with.
I think G-Ro is a good OC. I love the creativity he brings to the run game and the stuff he is doin with the pistol.

Sure the last series of the SB left a lot to be desired but it's easy to Monday morning QB. I'm definitely not ready to throw him under the bus for it.
that is true but any coordinator knows how to make a game plan , then makes in game adjustment , think about the st louis game , why would you call a pitch to ted ginn around our on 10 or 9 yards ????????
At his best he is an offensive genius, but at his worst, he is a dull, jimmy raye like OC. But there is no in between so hopefully we see more of his genius this season.

Hopefully we have a replacement in store just in case he lands a HC job in the future.
Roman is a genius at designing plays, creating new formations, and preparing his offense but he lacks consistency in his play calling especially when it counts
Roman is an extension of Harbaugh .....and to some extent, Harbaugh is an extension of Roman , obviously these two feed off each other and bounce ideas off each other , while sharing the same philosophy ...Roman will eventually land a head coaching gig somewhere , and then our young QB guru Geep Chryst will step in as OC while the team doesnt miss a beat
Roman isn't a great OC - not yet anyway.

IMO, greatness is proven over time and this is his 3rd season.

He is definitely a damn-good OC. Like everyone else he's learning and growing.

You don't become perfect after 3 years.

This year will really separate him from the pack. I feel w/a top notch WR in the draft and w/the signing of Boldin we'll see much more creativity in that componenet of the game.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Roman is a genius at designing plays, creating new formations, and preparing his offense but he lacks consistency in his play calling especially when it counts
of course this is the truth. he called two good games in a row during the playoffs but failed us on the biggest stage of the game. he gets cute at the worst possible moments in my opinion,. reverse in the rain in a nfc title game, fake toss fumble at your own goal line and of course second and goal from the five with the best running game in the nfl and best run blocking line in the nfl,, even after little james got two yards against a run heavy defense on first down. and not to even give the guys a ahh forget it
He will be the next Mike McCarthy.
wow-this seems like a pro roman thread

Didn't see that coming....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
wow-this seems like a pro roman thread

Didn't see that coming....
they must have missed the super bowl or at least the last three plays
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
of course this is the truth. he called two good games in a row during the playoffs but failed us on the biggest stage of the game. he gets cute at the worst possible moments in my opinion,. reverse in the rain in a nfc title game, fake toss fumble at your own goal line and of course second and goal from the five with the best running game in the nfl and best run blocking line in the nfl,, even after little james got two yards against a run heavy defense on first down. and not to even give the guys a ahh forget it

that pitch play in the 4th quarter to Ginn against the Rams cost us a W ...that was the worst possible time to call that kind of play ....oh well ,. you live and you learn eh ?
Share 49ersWebzone